2.6 street diesel

stuckey_272002

no one special
ive heard that the silver bullet wont pass in the 2.6 class. what other turbos work good in this class.

i know someone who was teched with a 2.65 plug on there silver bullet and the plug fit so he was dq. i was wondering what other option there were.

My brother runs in the 2.6 class and hes been teched runnin with a silver bullet and he was fine!

mine was measured with a mic and came out to 2.63 for the actual opening (2.59 is the wheel) and when the guy looked at the rules saying it must be measured with a 2.65" plug...he said there was no way he could DQ me.

I measured one that was a few thou out. The plug would have fallen in.

Malibu, I'm impressed that you can convert inch to metric, but you need to understand that 66mm is a nominal description, not a spec. Plus, there's always clearance that can vary between the wheel and the housing.

From what I hear, some pass, some won't. I have also heard that if you ask for a 2.65" legal SB, you can have one, but I don't have direct experience with doing that.

My brother runs in the 2.6 class and hes been teched runnin with a silver bullet and he was fine!

That is with Show-Me Smokers though. We allow regularly manufactured turbos such as the Silver 66 pass. The silver is to big and arent allowed alot of places.

personally if the thing is a off the shelf charger it should be allowed to run.....any 66mm or 2.6 charger should be allowed, i got the same feelings about a S465......as long as you aint trying to cheat you are fine.....cause if the turbo is hot or cold or the plug is hot or cold and wether the plug is steel, wood (ive seen it), or aluminum will matter also.......actually we should build a list of turbos that should fall into the 2.6 class, cause that would be nice to have when something comes into question....i would love to have that when teching trucks so if he says its a Industrial or a HTT or S465 we can pass it even though it aint a "perfect" 2.6 (when your making a few thousand turbo's a week sometimes they dont turn out absolutely perfect).......im not saying throw the 2.65 gauge away.....just use a little discretion.....

Logan, that's complete baloney.

People are modding turbos left and right. What you're suggesting would lead to even more chaos.

Plug 'em or else!

We failed a 66mm Silver last weekend with a 2.65" plug. This was ordered from II with the understanding it would be legal in the 2.6 class. Needless to say the owner isn't too happy.

We failed a 66mm Silver last weekend with a 2.65" plug. This was ordered from II with the understanding it would be legal in the 2.6 class. Needless to say the owner isn't too happy.

Yeah, exactly. Same thing with the fellow I was helping, except it was in the pre-season.

The bad part is, II told the customer before he bought it "absolutely no problem, it'll pass." It was obvious that they hadn't measured it.

Maybe it's just me, but dammit, the people selling turbos should know better than this. They don't have a drawing and a spec??? Geeminy Christmas.

Ended up going with an alternate II charger, and even then it took several weeks of confusion and tussling with II to get the new piece.

One of the folks at II said they could shave a SB wheel and machine the housing to fit it just right, but commented that it "would be one surging bastard."

I measured one that was a few thou out. The plug would have fallen in.

Malibu, I'm impressed that you can convert inch to metric, but you need to understand that 66mm is a nominal description, not a spec. Plus, there's always clearance that can vary between the wheel and the housing.

From what I hear, some pass, some won't. I have also heard that if you ask for a 2.65" legal SB, you can have one, but I don't have direct experience with doing that.

yes i have been able to convet mm to in and vice versa for a while mat
and yes i know that there is ~.003-.005" of clearance between wheel and housing even more so when the wheel/turbo is bigger.

and yes i can see a housing machined to 2.64" say at 70* fail a 2.65" plug when the housing temp is at engiene operating temp ie 140*+

Aluminum's coefficient of expansion is .0000129. I think this means if a 2.64" chunk of aluminum surrounding an opening changes from 100F to 500F (Δ of 400F) could open another 0.0136224000" or 2.6536224". What math did I screw up this time (other than assuming material with a hold expands at the same rate as a solid chunk?

surface area will directly affect thermal expansion. have propane torch handy and warm up the plug :hehe:

I agree and disagree. I think off the shelf turbos should be legal such as the silver. BUT..... Then people are going to have them machined out and blah blah blah and say its an off the shelf. I think II should get their stuff together and check it before they stab a customer in the back and hang em out to dry like that. Rules are rules. 2.6 is 2.6. So only the manufacturer is to blame if you ask me.

Aluminum's coefficient of expansion is .0000129. I think this means if a 2.64" chunk of aluminum surrounding an opening changes from 100F to 500F (Δ of 400F) could open another 0.0136224000" or 2.6536224". What math did I screw up this time (other than assuming material with a hold expands at the same rate as a solid chunk?

400* increase the is .013" make a 2.64 a 2.653" if the said plug was mad out of say metal as the turbo and same temp. then probly wouldnt fit. if the said plug is 2.650" and at ambient temp it would aurguable fit in the bore.

not the manufactur's fault if a tech official brings a piece of wood to tech with or a soup ccan or even a incorrectly machined piece of alluminum. I think we could all just take are compressor covers off and measure the whee?

not the manufactur's fault if a tech official brings a piece of wood to tech with or a soup ccan or even a incorrectly machined piece of alluminum. I think we could all just take are compressor covers off and measure the whee?

thats ****ed up. and poorly organized IMO

surface area will directly affect thermal expansion. have propane torch handy and warm up the plug :hehe:

One has nothing to do with the other. You flunk Materials 101.

Thermal expansion coefficient of aluminum is roughly:

12 millionths of an inch, per inch, per degree change in temp (F).

Even if the underhood temps are 200F...take 200-70 = 130 degree delta T.

So, 12e-6 * 2.65 * 130 = 0.004"

One should be smart enough to reject a charger out of the box at 2.646" and hope to pass a hillbilly test out in the woods with a 2.650" plug.

And yeah, when we were getting turbines plugged here, I did carry my own set of mics and standards for just that kind of event. But then again I shot about 0.020" under the spec to allow for such things, and never had one problem.

You could, BUT...

When the wheel has an odd number of blades, like say 7 blades, no "normal" piece of metrology equipment found at a pull would ever be able to make the measurement accurately.

A good ring gage would be the only simple way to do it. They are cheap and available but I have yet to see something like that at a hook.

Back