2 stage/dual stage water to air for a daily driver

I was an idiot when I posted that last post, it will go like this:

pump --> radiator 1 --> cooler1 --> radiator 2 --> cooler 2 --> reservoir --> pump.

I'll be using the cheap radiators from frozen boost.

Also, since I'm using one pump, would one of the pumps from frozen boost suffice for flowing through 2 radiators and 2 coolers?

Last edited:
I was an idiot when I posted that last post, it will go like this:

pump --> radiator 1 --> cooler1 --> radiator 2 --> cooler 2 --> reservoir --> pump.

I'll be using the cheap radiators from frozen boost.

Also, since I'm using one pump, would one of the pumps from frozen boost suffice for flowing through 2 radiators and 2 coolers?

Or maybe this to cool the water before it hits the resovoir and pump again:

pump --> radiator 1 --> cooler 1 --> radiator 2 --> reservoir --> pump.
..........................|--> cooler 2 -->|

Or would this setup cause one cooler to get more flow than the other based on hose lengths and pressure drops and cooler locations?

Last edited:
Damn it, now after another member passed on some info about different pumps and how much flow drops with any resistance/pressure build up, I may just run 2 pumps, 1 to each cooler (too keep flow maximized to the coolers), then through 2 radiators and into a resovoir.

I used a Meziere 20gpm pump on my first iteration, it really moved the water. However, I mounted it to the engine itself where my AC compressor used to mount and it rattled the bolts out of the can and shorted it all out. I yanked it and put this Cobra Mustang pump on, and though it works it doesn't move nearly the volume of water.

I read a lot of the higher flowing pumps stlll slow way down with any resistance. Like it'll be a trickle by the time it gets back to the reservoir or pump.

Why are you trying to over complicate something that already works and works well? Several folks, myself included, have seen iat's within 10-20* of ambient with the stock intercooler. What do you hope to gain with an air to water that you don't already get with the factory one?

Why are you trying to over complicate something that already works and works well? Several folks, myself included, have seen iat's within 10-20* of ambient with the stock intercooler. What do you hope to gain with an air to water that you don't already get with the factory one?

Maximum efficiency when towing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

That's more like it. Have you checked what you're current iat's are?

Its already built. I guess at this point its gonna be hands on results. Its not like Mike will be the first guy to daily drive water to air. Not by a long shot.

I also decided on putting the heat exchangers last in the "circuit", before the resovoir, so that the pumps don't overheat.

2 of these:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000O89BVM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1I4LFLY48MQRF&coliid=IOG9JHIXCP8U3"]Amazon.com: Rule 17A Marine Rule 3800 Marine General Purpose Centrifugal Pump (3800-GPH, 12-Volt): Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yUfLRLIlL.@@AMEPARAM@@41yUfLRLIlL[/ame]

To keep it cheap, could I just mix in some antifreeze to keep from freezing and boiling? Maybe some of that "wetter" stuff? (can't remember the name). Or what about washer fluid?

I also decided on putting the heat exchangers last in the "circuit", before the resovoir, so that the pumps don't overheat.

2 of these:

Amazon.com: Rule 17A Marine Rule 3800 Marine General Purpose Centrifugal Pump (3800-GPH, 12-Volt): Sports & Outdoors

To keep it cheap, could I just mix in some antifreeze to keep from freezing and boiling? Maybe some of that "wetter" stuff? (can't remember the name). Or what about washer fluid?

I run antifreeze in my DD water to air setup. I don't think water wetter will keep it from freezing or boiling, but I could be wrong. I don't know if washer fluid would raise boiling point or not.

I run a 50/50 mix of antifreeze in mine too, and I just bought a small, universal PS fluid tank from Summit for my expansion tank.

86EEC023-E6EE-419D-AEBB-ACD86A1EF298_zpsqbx1vzwr.jpg

I run antifreeze in my DD water to air setup. I don't think water wetter will keep it from freezing or boiling, but I could be wrong. I don't know if washer fluid would raise boiling point or not.

The pressure in the system is what raises the boiling temperature of water. If you want to superheat the water, make it a pressurized system.

Raising the pressure will definitely raise the boiling point, but so wont antifreeze:

Pure water: 212F
50/50 mix ethylene glycol/water: 223F
70/30 mix ethylene glycol/water: 235F

Not really a huge difference, but it is A difference, which could make THE difference.. if you see what I mean. :)

I meant wetter because it's supposed to pull more heat correct? So it would keep the coolers, cooler?

My system won't be pressurized (at least as little as possible). The reservoir will be vented. I really can't risk blowing a line, and then ruining a cooler or pumping gallons of water into the intake.

Back