2000 Excursion 2006 5.9 and 48RE

TIPM has a couple wires going to it for the transmission. To the OP..the wires I haven't been able to figure out yet are labeled "transmission control". I can tell you I haven't been able to make a conversion work using the factory style harness, and have the trans function properly, that didn't include a tipm. Another thing to be sure of is that an auto ecm is used. for some reason you can make an auto ecm work for manual swaps but not the other way around.

There's no reason a manual or auto ECM should matter....

There's no reason a manual or auto ECM should matter....

I know it doesn't make sense to me either..two full factory conversions, two computer changes fixed the problem so i'm going with what I had said. They started fine, had the dash gear selector, trans was stuck in its safe mode. Swapped computers and everything worked as it should.

Last edited:
this is for the park, Natural, and reverse lights.
Fummins 5.9 with a 48re. Has a destoked harness, everything wired as it was suppose to be and was verified but the tipm wasn't installed. Still stuck in third with no line pressure. If you got it all figured out with your harness then I will definitely be in touch!
FTKRayJr Welcome to CompD.

If you do SEMA this year you will see one of my conversion harnesses

Thank you, and I will be at SEMA so I will definitely check it out

Last edited:
Think of it this way.. Efilive tunes the ecm not the TIPM. 48re is half historic and half solenoid driven. So with efilive you can channel shift points from 3-4, line pressures from the ttva and lock up. The only wires needed for TIPM function is park, reverse for the lights and drive. This is for starter lock out, auto head lights, body functions ect.. now there is a single wire I can't figure out from the ecm to the TIPM cables "transmission control".

Trans control diagram

[ame="http://s171.photobucket.com/user/cumminspastya/media/3c8234e7-bbd5-4b6e-b886-4f77d3fcb034_zpsaf72c2a6.jpg.html"]3c8234e7-bbd5-4b6e-b886-4f77d3fcb034_zpsaf72c2a6.jpg Photo by cumminspastya | Photobucket[/ame]

Well i'm glad i've stirred up some interest here. last weekend I got the engine and trans pulled from the excursion. Unfortunately I didn't have any time to work on it during the week. Today I worked on getting some stuff ready to go back together. Had a broken transfer case from a wrecked dodge so I swapped the input/ planetary assembly into my Excursion transfer case so it will bolt up to the dodge trans. I have a colt stage2 cam which I should be getting a hold of next week. While I have the engine out I think i'm going to replace a couple of brake lines. once those things are done things should be able to start going together. Does anyone recomend a particular front or front/rear spring combination? this will be my wifes primary vehicle so a decent ride is important. I was just about ready to sign up for alldata for the two vehicles primarily to help with the wiring. Is it as good as I hope it is?

Thanks Guys!

Last edited:
Just about ready to put the engine in. but just realized the motor mounts I pulled from the parts pile aren't right. Went to adjust the valves and my feeler gauges are missing. One of these days something will go right.

Ok guys tell me what you think of this

The powertrain control module (PCM) turns on the trans control relay which supplies electrical power to the solenoid valve. Operating voltage is 12 volts (DC). The PCM controls the ground side of the solenoid using the governor pressure solenoid control circuit.

if this is correct it would make sense that the "transmission control" output from the ecm is the signal wire for a relay (or a solid state equivalent) that connects "transmission control output" to Positive inside the tipm. then the ecm uses a low side driver to control current through the governor pressure solenoid. Has anyone tried this?

Last edited:
Correct, the ECM controls the ground side due to arching making it safe for smart components.

I would bet, (and I would have to verify this with the engine on the stand) that the "Transmission Control" pin 5 C2 is a ground reference telling the TIPM to supply 12v power to the transmission solenoids.

Know thinking about it..... When the 48re is in park or neutral there is no clutches applied. Using engine ECM PIN 9 C2 with the range selector. The ECM knows when the vehicle is in Park or Neutral. Given the half hydraulic nature of the transmission it would be a safe assumption that this signal is uses as a "safe trans condition" so there isn't any misapplied clutches, not to mention taking pressure away form the valve body.

Just for reference: the Governer Pressure Control Silinoid is PWM.

Correct, the ECM controls the ground side due to arching making it safe for smart components.

I would bet, (and I would have to verify this with the engine on the stand) that the "Transmission Control" pin 5 C2 is a ground reference telling the TIPM to supply 12v power to the transmission solenoids.

Know thinking about it..... When the 48re is in park or neutral there is no clutches applied. Using engine ECM PIN 9 C2 with the range selector. The ECM knows when the vehicle is in Park or Neutral. Given the half hydraulic nature of the transmission it would be a safe assumption that this signal is uses as a "safe trans condition" so there isn't any misapplied clutches, not to mention taking pressure away form the valve body.

Just for reference: the Governer Pressure Control Silinoid is PWM.

I believe so. Sorry OP for the delayed response, just got back from SEMA and back to work. On the Fummins build I applied power where the diagram says its required with no luck. Your welcome to give it a go of coarse. I believe the destroked harness on that build was suppose to be set up like that but it wasn't working so power was manually applied as a test that didn't change anything

I am trying to learn as much as I can here. My donor is a 2003, and everyone I talk to says they cant make a "stand alone" harness for the 5.9 and 48re, or haven't successfully done it. So, my plan for my swap is to use as much as I can from the dodge. Didn't want to do it this way, but need a sure thing.

I don't think that any of the places selling conversion parts want anything to do with a dodge trans. I believe it can be done. I think that "can't" really means they don't want to.

I'm assuming your talking about the diagram from a couple posts back. Applying battery voltage where the diagram shows B+ is only half the solution. What we are thinking is that the " transmission control" output from the ecm is basically controlling a relay (it isn't confirmed yet if it's providing + or -) that connects B+ to the transmission control output. What I really need to do is pull my pickup in the shop and test it but all my free time is being tied up in my conversion and i'm not to the wiring stage quite yet.

Im building a standalone harness to convert my 05 to 06 electronics and heres the wiring diagram for trans control
24B43708-8225-4A59-9564-08000B220B55-24113-0000421235006A83_zpsb330ac4c.jpg

This is the diagram for the 05 but wiring is the same as the 06 , couldn't get the 06 diagram to print out. I haven't installed it yet but I got a couple projects to do first than hopefully I can get it done in the next couple weeks.

Thanks Spooled05! that's pretty much how we figured it worked. If you have more diagrams for a 05 I might try to get some more info for me. there are a couple of the tipm functions I was wondering about. for example there is one wire connecting the ecm and tipm that's labeled something like ac compressor clutch control. i'm thinking that it may be the ecm controling the ground for the ac clutch relay coil so that the ecm can turn off the ac under certain conditions. I know some cars turn off the ac at WOT or above a certain throttle position

HeTheAethyr, I was looking at the diagrams and it looks like the oil pressure and coolant temp don't need to go through the ecm. And on the destroked website they tell you to wire their tach adapter directly to the cluster. I didn't look at the fuel gauge or speedo wiring. and i'm not sure what i'm going to do about the volt gauge, but it doesn't look like it needs to go though the ecm.

Back