2000 Jetta ALH build thread

Lol. Autos do have a larger injection pump. But I am after mileage not speed. I have another vehicle for that
Thanks thats the info I need to learn just not much time to research. Id rather spend money on mods not a rebuilt trans.

If you need anything just ask. If I don't know the answer I know people who will. Everyone in the TDI world knows Frank. I got lucky meeting him and he knows a ton.

Thanks, where can I read up on doing a 5speed swap?

200k is all the stock cams are rated for. but i just replaced my girlfriends at 306k and it had minor wear. Also, 6 speed your car not 5 speed, unless you can find a good deal. 6 speed with factory clutch form RyanP on TDI club is something around 3000 and the swap is simple. When I do them I charge 3800, and that includes a new rear main seal. Once in the the car the 6 speed is much stronger and you would look at 50+ mpg. I was pushing 35-38lbs of boost to my last one and getting 51 still on the hwy. Just my .02 is all.

Last edited:
So what your saying is pay more for an in between gear? Speaking of rear main seals. I have a brand new one I don't need. Shipping took too long.

That's the first time I have heard there cam thing. Intriguing

What turbo did you have?? 3 bar map I'm guessin

Better gearing all the way through, much easier to keep boost up. 4 bar, lift pump from an 05, 11mm pump from an auto car, big front mount cooler, pd passenger intake, 22/59 off a dodge sprinter with a 59 mm wheel. and ran on 764 injectors with bigger customs on the shelf. TD tuning and 3in exhaust. Thing was fun. Sold the car before I got it to a dyno or track. Damn those priorities.

This dang thread got me looking again... found a few over in the Akron/Youngstown area that I might have to get checked out.

If you come in this area let me know. I will meet up with ya. I have a buddy that is selling a 99.5 for 4k. I know it has rust though. Not even sure if it's a manual LOL

Just food for thought.. Stay away from the 99. You miiiiight be safe at 99.5 but I'd go at least 00 to be safe. As Kraiger can atest for, the 99's are bastard cars that have some leftover 98 parts installed (like the ecu which is a pain to tune). Just my .02. But either way you go these cars are by far the most fun for the dollar, and you get at least 35-40mpg!

Are they changing to a faster ring and pinion in those 6 speeds, or is it the later series 6 speed that is offered with the diesels now. I can't see the rpms being ideal on a 6 speed out of a gasser.

Not sure if the ring and pinions are different but from what ive been told each gear ratio is different. Don't do a gasser tranny, the ratios are all off. I have a 6 speed in mine and love it. Its a great piece of mind knowing that I have full tapered roller bearing vs. a weak needle bearings that can fail and lose 5th gear. Only downside I can see out of the 6 speed is that they are real tight getting in and out of the cars. The 5 speed basically falls out.

Great thread! I need to show mine some attention at some point, will be coming up on timing belt time again before too long!

And because of that man I'm posting all these pics.

Thanks again Michael!!

0410132104.jpg

0414130102.jpg

0414130955.jpg

0619131902.jpg
0619131920.jpg
0620130004.jpg

Last edited:
I have one of those boost gauges, does yours seem laggy? The response is really slow but once it starts moving it moves around the right speeds.

Reason being is its electronic. There will always be a little lag compared to a mechanical gauge. Overall I love these gauges. I need to get the computer hookup to set up my peaks and dimming

With any electronic sensor your going to have some lag. Mine might not be as bad as yours then. Either that or I'm just use to electronic gauges.

Back