2005 superduty goes through turbo chargers

Jessica

Duramax fanatic
I have a 2005 superduty in with the 6.0 that goes through turbo chargers and it is the third one in a row.I have checked for blockages and there is none.It is a customer's truck and it did it while he was towing a trailer over the weight limit.I have it already apart with the cab unbolted with the front clip still on raised up with the hoist.I think it is the customer's fault towing this trailer not made for the truck,a trailer made for a semi to pull.I have talked to the customer about it and says I am the blame called installer error.It is not my fault at all and did the installation right.I replaced the oil line for safe insurance for the previous two turbo charger changes.I don't need this to come back again for a fourth time.Oil was very dark after I check the dipstick and I know this owner does not change the oil at the recomended interval,usually 2,000 over the interval.

Not the greatest turbo but that many failures certainly seems like it is an abuse issue. Running a vehicle hard and shutting them off hot seems to drastically shorten the VGT's life span. Dirty oil would seem to kill his injectors first so not sure that is an issue. Fords always have black oil. I think it comes from the remaining oil in the HPOP system contaminating the fresh oil almost instantly.

That is what I am figuring out what it is,abuse.This truck has almost 120,000 miles on it and the engine is tired out.I did talk to an employee of mine on this too,says it is abuse.The owner has been pulling oversize loads with it lately.I am going to pull the drain plug tommorrow morning to see what the oil looks like drained out.If I see metal shavings,customer is getting called with the bad news.He cooked the engine at 105,000 miles,blown head gaskets which took out the first turbo charger at the same time.Treats his truck as a semi truck.

What is actually wrong with the turbo? Blaming someone else without giving details is calling yourself out as a poor tech.

This customer had it towed in and had a complaint with no power.The shaft broke.I did pull the plug and little pieces of metal came out.Found out this customer overloads the truck so much it can't take it.He did get it too hot at the same time,blown head gaskets again and both heads are cracked.Ordered a new supercharger and the customer is paying for it,abuse is not covered.Never changed the oil this time,was sludgy too when I pulled the plug.This engine is not going to last,needs a rebuild.I work on gas and Diesel vehicles.

What is actually wrong with the turbo? Blaming someone else without giving details is calling yourself out as a poor tech.
Not many people will warranty a charger with dirty oil. Also a sinner stated, not cooling down the charger before shutting it off is a killing the bearings.

if he is pulling that heavy and lifting heads he is most likely overboosting, and/or running excessive exhaust temps. especially when operating for extended periods of time that totally constitutes abuse. add in running in severe service category and exceeding oil change intervals definitely ABUSE no warranty not 1 cent worth. thats my opinion

On the black oil, HEUI will always show black oil because you do not drain all the oil out when you do an oil change. You can change the oil, drive for 10 minutes and it will already be mostly black.

This guy sounds like one of those idiots who tries to pull an oversize trailer at 80+ mph in the left lane. Make sure he knows that the engine is only 360 cubic inches and then be sure to enlighten him that a small block chevy is only 350. That should put things in perspective. I'd stick it to him and tell him if he wants to pull sh** that heavy to get a big rig. And as far as the oil goes, my oil stays clean......until i pull my boat on the highway. The harder you use them, the sooner you should change the oil.

Is the truck stock? no programmer? If it is stock, the only thing I would consider abuse is not changing the oil. I dont care what he hooks to it, at stock fueling he is not going to overboost. Unless there is a problem with the control of the vgt.
Did you check the EBP sensor for correct operation?

That is not entirely correct, Glenn. I have had a few experiences with a stock 6.0 getting so hot it damaged the wheels in the charger. And as I stated above hot shutdowns almost always cause vane sticking issues and the resultant over-speed damage.

Yep, oil in 6.0s is always dirty. Hard to say just what this guy is doing with this truck. I would like to hear from the owner just what he is doing with the truck. Both Sinner and Glenn have good points. But, what else are you finding? How much would this turbo have had to over boost to crack the heads? Is that even possible? What kind of boost has shawns truck been running without cracking the heads? I wonder if it didn't run low on coolant and sludge the oil and then cause the problems? Oh well! I'm not working on it so i geuss i'll just have to wonder.

its not cracking the heads that is generally the problem, its stretching the headbolts. overboost will do that just fine.

Good lord people! 6.0 Fords are all I work on, stock and modified. You can pull just about anything you want to with this engine. What happened was the EBPV took a dump, when that happens the turbo will boost way over 45psi. Clean or replace the tube, put a new sensor in. Then check the clutch fan, if the engine reaches 240* the PCM will lock the fan. There is no mistaking when it locks as it makes one hell of a noise. At that point you have got to stop and let it cool down. As to the remark that the oil is always black could be caused by several things up to and including using anything but a Motorcraft oil filter. Do not use a NAPA oil filter in these engines. They do not push the plunger down in the oil filter housing down far enough resulting in a lot of oil bypassing the filter all together. If the customer can't or won't keep up his end of the bargain on maintenance, then he deserves what he gets. But me looking in from the outside, your Ford technical skills aren't quite where they need to be. Stick to what you know, don't be afraid to tell someone that your not really sure what's happening with their vehicle. Just my 2cents, but its what I do for a living.

I doubt anyone running a 6.0L will have anything less than black engine oil even after an oil change.

Sounds like our "expert"? may be confused? It does has have an exhaust Back pressure sensor which can affect boost on some model years. Its one of the reasons using the right terminology makes you look smart, and not doing it makes people wonder

I would guess Gary posted from his phone and the "autocorrect" feature got him.

Back