2006 SRT6 Cummins Build Thread and Introduction

PUSHER

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Hello CompD!

My name is Jacob Allenbaugh and as my screen name would suggest am the owner of Pusher Intakes. I’ve been a member of this forum for a little while now and have been starting to use it more often so I thought it was time to say hello. Instead of the run of the mill introduction thread, I thought I’d share a little project we’re working on at the moment. I normally can’t share our projects because they’re usually centered on new products that we don’t want to announce to the world until they’re ready for sale. This on the other hand is going to be my toy so I thought it would be a great way to introduce myself and get to know some of the members here. This truck is being built on the extremely limited spare time my brother Nathanael and I have but we’re pushing hard to have it done by the end of the summer. So please bear with me if updates are a few days-weeks apart.

Like the title says we’re building a two door “SRT6” with a Cummins. We’re doing the complete body kit (not just a front bumper and hood conversion), 22” SRT10 wheels and the brakes. The body kit alone is brutal on the wallet but will be worth it I think. Below is a shot of the truck I picked up last December with a broken valve at 160,000 miles. Gotta love those Hemi’s! I took a bunch of preliminary measurements as soon as I got the 1500 home so I was mentally prepared for any major fab work we’ll need to do. Everything I foresee us doing is well within our skill set and machinery capabilities so it’s just a matter of labor hours to get it done.
ame]

I recently picked up a 1994 Ram 3500 from a friend of mine who’s owned it since new practically. This truck will donate the 47RH housing and engine along with all the accessories, brackets, and wiring I’ll need.

The goal with this truck is to have a responsive 5-600 HP on fuel, run mid 12’s in the quarter, get 30+ MPG, and look good doing it. One of our closer motocross tracks is right next to a 1/4 mile track. So I’m hoping to tow our dirt bike trailer to the motocross track, ride during the day time then hit the evening test and tunes for the next few months to get the truck dialed in. It’s a little risky if I break the truck but I’m going to try it regardless!

I hope you guys enjoy what’s to come in this thread. I’ve been wanting to build this truck for the last eight years or so but kept coming up with reasons to not start it. Hopefully we can knock it out quick!

Last edited:
Welcome!

Careful pushing your product here. CompD is very protective of its paying sponsors.

Looking forward to this!

No product pushing here Jon but thanks for the warning and the welcome! That's actually the point of this thread, to talk about something other than our products just the cool truck that we're building.

Last edited:
Pic didnt work for me but sounds sweet Jacob, good luck.

Sent from my fphone

Thanks for the welcome's guys. Sorry for the bad photo, it was too big I guess:doh:

Here it is:
IMG_2259.jpg

Last edited:
So we've torn both trucks down (1500 and 3500). Over the weekend I was able to confirm some of my measurements by doing a quick mockup of the motor in the truck. First off, I couldn't shoe horn it in the truck by myself with the oil pan on and the cross member you can see in the bottom left hand corner of the photo below. The cross member doesn't come out without cutting it in half so the oil pan came off.
mocked up motor.jpg

Last edited:
So we've torn both trucks down (1500 and 3500). Over the weekend I was able to confirm some of my measurements by doing a quick mockup of the motor in the truck. First off, I couldn't shoe horn it in the truck by myself with the oil pan on and the cross member you can see in the bottom left hand corner of the photo below. The cross member doesn't come out without cutting it in half so the oil pan came off.
View attachment 46021

You can pull the back two rocker pedestals off to get it in with the oil pan on or you can undo the cab mounts and lift the cab but that only works well if you have a vehicle lift.

You have to lift the cab , remove the front cab bolts but only loosen the rear two , tilt the cab up an it ll fit easy,

Thanks for the advice guys! It goes in pretty easy without the pan and we should have plenty of room to put the pan and oil pickup tube back on after the motor is in place. I put the motor in by my self for that last picture I posted so it was a little tough "threading the needle" alone.

We’ll definitely be going CR for the next truck I build. This is kind of a test to see if it’s worth all the work to go to a 1500 chassis. Plus coming across a complete CR donor truck isn’t quite as easy as an old 12v truck.

Anyway, we went with .100" over sized valves from Mountain High Performance. Everything on the head was checked, the seats were installed and the head was surfaced this week. Going to larger valves definitely opens up a lot of area for porting. The stock seat really chokes down from the bowl area. Once the larger false seats are installed it’s pretty amazing how much material you can cut away right above them. I’m super tempted to take the head to the flow bench after we’re done and see what gains we picked up. Unfortunately we’ve been set back almost a month on this project by delays with the cam, valve work, and a head gasket getting lost in shipping.

Speaking of cams I installed a Maxspool 192/215 cam earlier this week. This combined with the larger valves should definitely help this truck breath nicely.

I took a few pictures with my iPhone of the one intake port we ported on Friday but its pretty tough to see the magnitude of the material you can remove. I’ll whip out the Cannon next week and try to get some better shots for you guys.

Everything looks really good on the bottom end of this engine. I’m pretty sure my buddy owned it since it was a few years old and never modified anything. The cylinders still have a lot of cross hatching left, the KDP was still in place, and all the bearings we’ve checked are good.
Engine Top without Head.jpg
One of the locals stopped by so I had him check everything over as well and got two thumbs up.
Frog.jpg
Cam prior to install.
Cam.jpg
Prepped for resealing.
Front Block.jpg
KDP killed and cam checked.
Degree In.jpg
Hopefully we’ll finish up porting the head in our spare time this week. After we bolt it back on the block and reinstall the pump, she’s going back in the truck. I should also have my torque converter in this week along with the new VB.

Wow, I can’t believe it’s been three months since my last post. I’ve been able to keep working on things here and there on the truck but was honestly expecting to be almost done with this project by now. Anyway we finished up the tranny a little while ago. We used Revmax parts on my brothers ’79 F150 rat rod build which have held up well thus far, so we went with their torque converter and valve body again here. We also used Alto clutches and a Sun Coast input shaft. I had a Mag-Hytec pan from a previous truck so that finished off the tranny build.

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3151.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg

I'm going to try and keep this thread more up to date.

Head porting

Seats installed, no porting
IMG_1872 (800x533).jpg

Rough porting, notice amount of material removed under the seat
IMG_1871 (800x533).jpg

Almost finished, a little more finish work to be done.
IMG_1890 (800x533).jpg

Valves reinstalled
IMG_3006 (800x600).jpg

Motor is back together and in the truck.

[ame="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/surfhondas69/media/Cummins%201500/IMG_3149.jpg.html"]IMG_3149.jpg Photo by surfhondas69 | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/surfhondas69/media/Cummins%201500/IMG_3152.jpg.html"]IMG_3152.jpg Photo by surfhondas69 | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/surfhondas69/media/Cummins%201500/IMG_3159.jpg.html"]IMG_3159.jpg Photo by surfhondas69 | Photobucket[/ame]

[ame="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/surfhondas69/media/Cummins%201500/IMG_3170.jpg.html"]IMG_3170.jpg Photo by surfhondas69 | Photobucket[/ame]

I plan on towing a little with this truck and wanted to be able to use the 3rd gen intercooler so I went with a new radiator for a 2003 Ram 2500.

[ame="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/surfhondas69/media/Cummins%201500/IMG_3187.jpg.html"]IMG_3187.jpg Photo by surfhondas69 | Photobucket[/ame]

Threw in a sump after all the problems we've had with the draw straws.
[ame="http://s520.photobucket.com/user/surfhondas69/media/Cummins%201500/IMG_3336.jpg.html"]IMG_3336.jpg Photo by surfhondas69 | Photobucket[/ame]

Back