2008 D-Max Durability

imelmo

Go away, I'm 'batin'!
At what hp level do you need to start worrying about head gaskets and the engine on an '08 Duramax?

I've got a friend with one that's right at 700rwhp and he's still on the stock longblock. I thought that was pretty impressive but I was really impressed when he told me it was still on stock head gaskets!

We compete at the local track. I'm still ahead right now in my 6.0 thanx to :nos: even though my truck sat for a year. I ran 11.8's. I'm on a stock bottom end also, but there's no way a 6.0 is gonna do that on stock head bolts. :hehe: I'm putting out about 650rwhp, but have a yet to run new. He runs 11.9's on fuel.

Trucks are identical weight but mine 60ft's in the 1.61-1.63 range compared to his mid 1.7's. He traps about 2 or 3 mph more though.

I figure I've got about another 100-150rwhp to go before I really have to start worrying about the bottom end on mine. Wondering what he's got left before he has to do the same so I can see if he's gonna catch me before that time comes, lol. LOL And yes, he is a member on here. :D

Last edited:
Who is doing the tuning? Theres a few LBZ/LMM trucks pushing close to 800hp on stock long blocks but they arent going to live very long. The stock bolt/gaskets are the better design on the LMMs, dont quote me but I remember someone saying the rods will bend before the gaskets blow on an LMM...

Your friend is crazy. Just hope he doesnt window the block.

How big of injectors is he running. I hope he's not running a lot of pulse width or I see a crack in his future.

60% overs and dual cp3s with a wicked stage3 in the valley, swapping the 66 to a batmo s475 :evil

The head bolts on the dmaxs are impressive. He will most likely lose a rod or piston before the head lifts. I know several guys pushing over 700 hp on stock motors and they have been for a while. It will live as long as he isn't abusing it.

But to answer the question. 650 seems to be the max number if you want it to remain somewhat reliable.

But to answer the question. 650 seems to be the max number if you want it to remain somewhat reliable.

Id say 550. 650 is really pushing it on any year stock Dmax.

Heads could even lift slightly at 575, but maybe not enough to blow the gaskets. Saw that in my motor when we tore it down.

Last edited:
Dannys record finally bit the dust, the time to beat was 11.81@112. Last wednesday i ran 11.71@119:woohoo:

They don't blow head gaskets because usually the rods bend enough to lower the compression. Not knocking them, they're awesome engines but head gaskets are the least of your worries. Bent rods and cracked pistons usually come first with HP.

He(the 6.0) is on NOS and you aren't right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back