2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

The birds chirping this way are saying at least one local group here is making these changes whether PPL does or not. :eek:

2.6 will become big driveline, bigger smooth bore and DOT tires. Basically a current 3.0 truck with a smooth bore charger.

3.0 would become bigger smooth bore charger with bar tires. I haven't heard about deckplates, tilt bodies or billet blocks. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Supposedly power would be about the same as the current 2.6 & 3.0 classes? My guess for around here is 2.5 class will gain several of the current 2.6 trucks (whose going to afford completely new trucks w/ big driveline over the winter?!?!) and 3.0 may gain a couple of the 2.6 trucks that wanted to jump up to ODL anyway? Who knows what will really happen though?!?!

It would be nice to know soon so we can build our trucks. I don't want to see the rules come out a month before the season starts.

2.6 will become big driveline, bigger smooth bore and DOT tires. Basically a current 3.0 truck with a smooth bore charger.

3.0 would become bigger smooth bore charger with bar tires. I haven't heard about deckplates, tilt bodies or billet blocks. Wouldn't surprise me though.

Supposedly power would be about the same as the current 2.6 & 3.0 classes? My guess for around here is 2.5 class will gain several of the current 2.6 trucks (whose going to afford completely new trucks w/ big driveline over the winter?!?!) and 3.0 may gain a couple of the 2.6 trucks that wanted to jump up to ODL anyway? Who knows what will really happen though?!?!

So people realize just the tire and turbo 3.0 change alone would cost us 10k+ And I don't wanna here just a wheel and cover bs change. People will buy a complete turbo.

sounds like at schieds mears need to sell more bar tire diesel trucks(2 different hooks in the same night etc) so let the wealthy 3.0 guys move up to the 4.1 bar tire class and maybe some mod guys might move down to it. As for mixing the 2.6 and the 3.0 together why not ? 3.0 needs more numbers on a local ,regional basis ,there are tons of 2.6 trucks, who would like to stop replacing r&p 's every other hook. Get the smooth bore to a good size so non deck plate motors can live for years and that new class should thrive.

Last edited:
sounds like at schieds mears need to sell more bar tire diesel trucks(2 different hooks in the same night etc) so let the wealthy 3.0 guys move up to the 4.1 bar tire class and maybe some mod guys might move down to it. As for mixing the 2.6 and the 3.0 together why not ? 3.0 needs more numbers on a local ,regional basis ,there are tons of 2.6 trucks, who would like to stop replacing r&p 's every other hook. Get the smooth bore to a good size so non deck plate motors can live for years and that new class should thrive.

If people want 2000hp+ billet blocks and bar tires there is already a class for them. I do agree with you on the combined 2.6 3.0 class though. We need 3 classes that ate nation wide the same class. 4-5 different classes when everyoneshe rules differe isn't good for anybody

Also letting the pullers decide the rules is the wrong thing to do. Our Hot farm went from 10+ tractors to 3 when they went to open cubes and open turbo. They are well over 2k hp now

The 2.6 needs some changes to support the HP level that some builds produce, Just look at the carnage at SDX15, Well can you make changes to the DL (open) 2.6 and not have no effect on the 3.0 Class? So you go to 2.6 open DL how many 3.0 will drop to 2.6 unless PPL makes clear distinctions on the 2.6 and 3.0 engine. Example 3.0 Page 54 ...Maximum engine size will be 460 cubic inch. Engines must come from factory in one ton or smaller Diesel pickup truck, So deck plate and Dry blocks allowed in 3.0... 2.6 page 49 The engine is limited to a stock-appearing, Well most of the intakes on 2.6 don't look stock appearing, Now does that mean deck plate and dry blocks are allowed or only dry Block and NO deck plate motors.

Now couple that with all the talk about Bigger turbo's and cut tires ,More HP for both classes and More $$$$$ needing to be spent to be a contender at the big events. Heck new Engines dressed are running $60K plus already in 3.0, Now ask the 2.6 owners to spend $20K in DL upgrades to stay in 2.6 will drive some to 2.5..Why not drop your 3.0 to 2.6? If the rules are not clear its going to PITR.
How about 3.0 to cut tires , 2.6 to open DL and let the power dictated what class to run, My 3.0 engine will be getting a complete freshening up after this season, I haven't decided What Power plant "Just enough" (New Truck) is going to get in 2016. just the rumors are sucking up my wallet.

Last edited:
The 2.6 needs some changes to support the HP level that some builds produce, Just look at the carnage at SDX15, Well can you make changes to the DL (open) 2.6 and not have no effect on the 3.0 Class? So you go to 2.6 open DL how many 3.0 will drop to 2.6 unless PPL makes clear distinctions on the 2.6 and 3.0 engine. Example 3.0 Page 54 ...Maximum engine size will be 460 cubic inch. Engines must come from factory in one ton or smaller Diesel pickup truck, So deck plate and Dry blocks allowed in 3.0... 2.6 page 49 The engine is limited to a stock-appearing, Well most of the intakes on 2.6 don't look stock appearing, Now does that mean deck plate and dry blocks are allowed or only dry Block and NO deck plate motors.

Now couple that with all the talk about Bigger turbo's and cut tires ,More HP for both classes and More $$$$$ needing to be spent to be a contender at the big events. Heck new Engines dressed are running $60K plus already in 3.0, Now ask the 2.6 owners to spend $20K in DL upgrades to stay in 2.6 will drive some to 2.5..Why not drop your 3.0 to 2.6? If the rules are not clear its going to PITR.
How about 3.0 to cut tires , 2.6 to open DL and let the power dictated what class to run, My 3.0 engine will be getting a complete freshening up after this season, I haven't decided What Power plant "Just enough" (New Truck) is going to get in 2016. just the rumors are sucking up my wallet.

I would be all for dropping to 2.6 ODL, IF it allowed completely gutted bodies, bed and such. Which we are already. More than likely looking like we'll keep our local rules and who cares what ppl does. We won't run with them anymore anyways.

Why not just make one change to the 2.6 class. Make it smooth bore only. That should cut a few hundred HP out of these trucks, then the stock driveline could hold it again. It's a cheap over the winter change. Then with 3.0 if they want bar tires give them that and leave the rest alone or possibly require 3.0 smooth bore. Cheap changes for everyone.

Why make a change that requires every single competitor to buy a new turbo? I was talking to the driver of one of the top trucks in 2.6, his idea was drop the duals, drop the hitch and drop 500 lbs. I like that idea, it doesn't require a puller to spend a single $ if they don't want to. Of course most will buy different tires and wheels, but it's not required to meet rules. I know this will never happen because it's too easy and will get the numbers up to more than ppl wants for the class.

Last edited:
Most pullers are going to buy new stuff this winter that would be way more expensive than just a charger. It is the easiest way to change things equally

Why make a change that requires every single competitor to buy a new turbo? I was talking to the driver of one of the top trucks in 2.6, his idea was drop the duals, drop the hitch and drop 500 lbs. I like that idea, it doesn't require a puller to spend a single $ if they don't want to. Of course most will buy different tires and wheels, but it's not required to meet rules. I know this will never happen because it's too easy and will get the numbers up to more than ppl wants for the class.

I'd like to have it explained how taking 500lbs off the front end will take load off of the rear which is where the problem is. This would also make me have to redo my weight box causing me to spend money on it. I'd rather spend money on a big rear and not worry about it. I also feel like if power is cut back that they will lug more, in turn being harder on parts at the end of the track.

I'd like to have it explained how taking 500lbs off the front end will take load off of the rear which is where the problem is. This would also make me have to redo my weight box causing me to spend money on it. I'd rather spend money on a big rear and not worry about it. I also feel like if power is cut back that they will lug more, in turn being harder on parts at the end of the track.

^^Agreed!!!^^

It's not wanting a big rear, it's needing a big rear at this point. How many engine failures do you see compared to driveline failures? If power is taken away and we start lugging the motors the blocks are gonna bust if they aren't deck plated.

Never did I say anything about taking power away...? So you put big rears in, then what's going to break? The power and weight will find the next weak link, most likely the transfer case, then you might as well be odl. Which I'm not saying is all bad, but the class separation would be much less if we have 3 odl classes. I'm all for not having to fix or repair daily, I'm far to busy to maintain ring and pinions at 1-2 hooks per set. I just thought dropping those 3 things would be easy and relatively cheap options.

After I posted what I said, I should have quoted someone about dropping power rather than putting it in the same as yours. Sorry for that. I know we would still have small parts otherwise with just the big rear, so guys could still break parts if they stay in it while it's getting rowdy, but majority of our problem in our class starts with the rear and takes parts out north of it. We are all entitled to an opinion and this is part of mine.

After I posted what I said, I should have quoted someone about dropping power rather than putting it in the same as yours. Sorry for that. I know we would still have small parts otherwise with just the big rear, so guys could still break parts if they stay in it while it's getting rowdy, but majority of our problem in our class starts with the rear and takes parts out north of it. We are all entitled to an opinion and this is part of mine.

We ran open rear end 2.8 for a year. The open rear end didn't solve any breakage isuses. We had several slip yokes break on 271 the cases and .not sure of
How many 271s our group wentp through that year but it was a few. Back then I know our trucks didn't make the power 2.6 does now days. We were exploding tcases mid track and not just and the big end. Also when I tcase explodes it's a good chance you won't get the motor slowed down before it goes too. I'll see if I can find videos. I belive we lost 4 motors that year to driveline failures.

Back