2016 3.0 turbo rule changes

I don't think cuts will be mandatory but you can run them if you want. Don't want to run them then stay on DOT tires. What's the difference in the cuts vs guys having 2-3 sets of different DOT tires and wheels?

So if no cut tires, then they will have 2 identical classes with only a charger difference? How will they separate it other then the charger? How are they going to promote 2 identical classes with only a charger difference and one with less purse? Guess which one will get the hook? The one with less purse. You cant run 2 identical classes with only a charger difference unless you combine them and give 2.6 an advantage of some kind. Which almost never works out in the end.

Probably have same problem in the SS class. The 3.6/3.8 class (whichever it may be) will have smaller purse then the SS's. They will basically look the same as well from the stands. Guess who will get the hook?

But yes I think I heard cuts may not be mandatory.

Last edited:
Probably have same problem in the SS class. The 3.6/3.8 class (whichever it may be) will have smaller purse then the SS's. They will basically look the same as well from the stands. Guess who will get the hook?

But yes I think I heard cuts may not be mandatory.

Although I do like the idea of running cuts. I feel like they will give a advantage back to the highest hp trucks. I liked to have thought last few years the dot tires were kind of a handicap to even the playing field so to speak. Sometimes it was hard to hook the biggest hp trucks when a truck with say a few less hp could run pretty good on dots. Seems that the mud tires have helped out getting some trucks to hook again though.

I believe there was a test run at Scheids. Dot vs cuts. Grin and Bair it and Biggs, I believe. Both of these trucks had been back and forth all year. Bair was on DOT and Biggs was on cuts and DOT was out in front by 1.5'. Had I not had issues over the weekend I would be able to ad to the comparison but one of mine broke the bead and blew.

Last edited:
I believe there was a test run at Scheids. Dot vs cuts. Grin and Bair it and Biggs, I believe. Both of these trucks had been back and forth all year. Bair was on DOT and Biggs was on cuts and DOT was out in front by 1.5'. Had I not had issues over the weekend I would be able to ad to the comparison but one of mine broke the bead and blew.

Interesting...

I thought it was Grin and Bair it and Gunsmoke. But I thought it was at a pull before scheids. Pretty sure Grin and Bair said yes he was out front but Gunsmoke had bouncing issues. I could be totally wrong though...

I thought it was Grin and Bair it and Gunsmoke. But I thought it was at a pull before scheids. Pretty sure Grin and Bair said yes he was out front but Gunsmoke had bouncing issues. I could be totally wrong though...

It may have been I'm not sure. I may have misunderstood them telling me when it was.

Edit: It was Tedrow not Biggs

Last edited:
Why not just tighten up the rules of the 2.6" turbo? That should back the HP down a bit.

Is there anyone running hx82 or thumper size turbos in ppl which are large frame. Limiting to a midframe turbo will not change the current hp.

Is there anyone running hx82 or thumper size turbos in ppl which are large frame. Limiting to a midframe turbo will not change the current hp.

I know there is one specificly that's up front runnig a hc5a. Also I consider gt55s a large frame turbo and several runnig them.

Single rear wheel and 24" hitch height will make the class almost identical to 2.5 in the fans eyes. If they do this they will have to merge the classes back together again. I'm fine with whatever they come up with, but it would be nice to get something figured out by November.

What was I thinking? Keep the big frame turbos, buy an $8500 rear axle and tear the **** out of transfer cases and front axles !!

PPL needs to grow some balls and realize what has happened to both classes. They have both grown probably 400 hp over the last 4-5 years. There rules have been stretched every year and nothing done about it. The worst thing a organization can do is let the pullers decide the rules.

Just my opinion but I think they should have payed attention every year to what was gapping to turbos and we wouldn't be having this discussion period

If the rules changes continue as speculated, it will be difficult for new blood to jump in the 2.6 class. I almost see current trucks jumping to 3.0 or dropping to 2.5, leaving the 2.6 class the ugly stepchild.

If the rules changes continue as speculated, it will be difficult for new blood to jump in the 2.6 class. I almost see current trucks jumping to 3.0 or dropping to 2.5, leaving the 2.6 class the ugly stepchild.

The problem with jumping to 3.0 is fixing to be a lot worse if what I hear is happening really happens. I said on here a few years back 3.0 in 2016 will be 2000hp and cut tires....... it's looking to be true

2.6 has not had a 400hp jump maybe 100hp but that's about it. 3.0 has had a decent jump when large frame turbo came available but even then I don't think that was 400hp either.

So some say these so called large frame turbos are the problem in 2.6. Do these people claiming this have any proof they actually make more power. Or is it just something they made up in their head.

To my knowledge there are no large frame turbos winning in 2.6. HX60 seems to still be the charger of choice of the top trucks.

Back