271 Transfer Case Conversion Complete

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
Finished up swapping in a 271 transfer case into the truck Sunday night.

Actually got it up and bolted in without a jack or hoist

Everything fits and I don't think I'll have any problem with frame clearance.

On my 98, the speed sensor is in the rear axle, so that was not an issue. You 94-97 guys will have to consider that when doing this conversion.

The linkage (also different on a 98+ truck) worked out great with no tweaks needed other than adjusting the length of the rod. I had a harder time getting the stupid bushing off the metal rod from the old tcase than actually setting up the linkage for the 271.

Haven't had a chance to drive it yet because the truck is down at the driveshaft shop having some BULLETPROOF driveshafts being put in (twist-off resistant).
When I got my tcase, I also bought a slip yoke that sports 1480 u-joints. Its BIG, and has the damper as well. The old slip yoke from my 241 DLD will nearly fit INSIDE the 271's slip yoke.

I will see if I can get some pictures up tonight of the new rear driveshaft and tcase.

I do need to figure out how to get the vacumn actuator to work right.. The electrical switch seems to have a longer "nipple" on it so I don't think the mechanical setup from the old tcase has enough throw to engauge the vacumn to engauge the CAD.

Thanks CAHammer, JRAdkins, Chaz Estep, & others for your help & advice in this project.

Good deal Garrett, Hopefully this wil solve some of your issues.

Nice to see you on here Scott!

I had my rear driveshaft made out of .180 thickness 4.095" tubing, its massive!

glade to here you got it put back together. now lets see what that thing can do.

tcase.jpg

tcase2.jpg

tcase3.jpg

tcase4.jpg

tcase5.jpg

tcase6.jpg

tcase7.jpg

Still waiting for a part number on the slip yoke, mine didn't come in a box.

Rear driveshaft is 1 piece, 4.095 tubing by .180" thick.
1480 U-joints on both sides.

Front driveshaft is 3" tube with slip yoke, 1410 on the yoke, CV on the tcase end.

Looks good Garret,Are you going to test the new stuff in Yorkville,IL next Fri.

Howling said:
Looks good Garret,Are you going to test the new stuff in Yorkville,IL next Fri.

Yorkville is August 4th!??

They moved it up again eh? Or is there one in September as well?

I tested stuff out in Missouri for the DHRA pull and also at a local-ish pull in WI.
In addition to new driveshafts and tcase, I also have a new charger on the truck.

Let me know rules if you can, I can't run without traction bars, tends to rub the paint off the fenders.:badidea:

Dang Garrett, that driveshaft should get it done for ya

Bobcat698 said:

Front driveshaft is 3" tube with slip yoke, 1410 on the yoke, CV on the tcase end.

Why 1 piece rear driveshaft better than stock 2 pcs with support bearing ? :huh::

AsTroSS said:
Why 1 piece rear driveshaft better than stock 2 pcs with support bearing ? :huh::

The carrier bearing would still be the weak point.

Looks like I went ALL out with my driveshaft as the bigger pullers "House", Terry Coppess and others run a 1 piece shaft from Haisleys that is 4" by .093 walls.

Bobcat698 said:

Hey Bobcat698

Where you brought those driveshaft parts (yokes, u-joints...) for your custom driveshafts?

My 2-pcs driveshaft carrier bearing is worn out and maybe is thime to make better 1 pcs driveshaft.

AsTroSS said:
Hey Bobcat698

Where you brought those driveshaft parts (yokes, u-joints...) for your custom driveshafts?

My 2-pcs driveshaft carrier bearing is worn out and maybe is thime to make better 1 pcs driveshaft.

Do you mean where did I get the stuff?

Call Erik at Catco Parts and Service: (715) 423-5820
Be sure to tell him Garrett sent you!

what year truck does the 271 come out of? I have a98 also, should be pretty straight forward bolt up..

Smoker17 said:
what year truck does the 271 come out of? I have a98 also, should be pretty straight forward bolt up..

2003 & Up Dodges have the NV271. I ended up taking a screwdriver to make an indentation in the floor pan to help clearances.
The driveline was torquing enough to make the Tcase contact it when I built boost at the line.

They are in 3rd gen dodges but the ones needed for are swap is out of a ford because the have a stick and the 3rd gens are on a knob. They take the ford one and change the front yoke to match the dodge.

TJ

Back