47re Clutch Pack Upgrades

Old style is .280 tall
.065 thick and 1.28 from the outside to the part were it touches the forward piston.

I will get some measurments of the new style up later with pics, its in the tranny right now so i could assemble it and check endplay. It did how ever feel taller than the old style, it tightened up my forward clutch pack clearances a little as well.

Last edited:
I believe that the new style spring is supposed to be used with the new style piston, and the old style spring used with the old style piston. Been awhile since I have had an old style trans apart though..

I didnt notice the pistons being different. But i'm glad you mentioned it, i will take a closer look tomorrow.

I didnt notice the pistons being different. But i'm glad you mentioned it, i will take a closer look tomorrow.

Are we talking about the forward gear return spring? The older one the springs have a cut out that a quarter fits right in. The newer style is a different cutout shape.

Think the differences in the pistons are one is taller than the other.

Yes i am, you were correct looking on wittrans website i see a .780 and a .840 piston. I'm guessing i need the .780 piston to run the new style spring. Is the direct drum piston in a 48re shorter to allow the 5th clutch or is the drum itself bigger?

Yes i am, you were correct looking on wittrans website i see a .780 and a .840 piston. I'm guessing i need the .780 piston to run the new style spring. Is the direct drum piston in a 48re shorter to allow the 5th clutch or is the drum itself bigger?

Yea be sure to use the correct spring with the correct piston. That spring should NOT affect the clutch pack clearances when its used with the right piston.

Im not sure on the 48re drum but i used a stock pressure plate that i machined to allow another clutch/steel in either/both forward and direct packs.

In my 47re I have a .180 pressure plate i had machined in the directs now with 5 .085 frictions and 5 .070 steels. I was just wondering how they accomplished getting 5 clutches and steels in the 48re from the factory. Next time i'm going to try 6 .065 frictions and 6 .070 steels

In my 47re I have a .180 pressure plate i had machined in the directs now with 5 .085 frictions and 5 .070 steels. I was just wondering how they accomplished getting 5 clutches and steels in the 48re from the factory. Next time i'm going to try 6 .065 frictions and 6 .070 steels

The snap ring on the forward drum for the 48re is machined closer to the top or edge versus the 47 front drum. That's what gives the extra clearance.

Forward Clutch Pack:
- This pack is located right behind the input shaft hub.
- Stock 47re has (4) frictions
- Stock 48re has (4) frictions with a different spline count so if you buy a 48re rebuild kit just remember to buy extra clutches for this pack that don't have the 93 center splines like the 48re clutches.
- This pack is applied in all forward gears and it's not a shifting pack so it's not subject to as much wear as the other packs.
- This pack is released when the transmission shifts into reverse.
- This pack is the most difficult one to upgrade since space is very limited.

I upgraded this pack from (4) frictions and steels to (5) frictions and steels for 25% increase in clutch capacity by purchasing a used forward clutch pressure plate and using it as a stepped reaction plate. This drums snap ring groove is machined a little tighter than the direct drum and it's nearly impossible to install the snap ring without grinding a little bit of the inner corner so the plate has a wider flat stepped portion for the snap ring.
11-30forwardclutch.gif

The arrows point to the small corner than needs to be ground just a little to gain clearance for the wide snap ring. I just used a 4-1/2" grinder with a 1/8" thick metal cutting wheel and slowly made an approximate 0.030" deep cut and worked my way around the entire pressure plate. It is possible to install the snap ring without grinding the plate but makes the clutch pack a little tight which would cause it to drag a little in reverse, not a good idea for a daily driver that uses reverse regularly but running an unground/unmodified pressure plate hasn't been a problem for my drag race truck.

ForwardArrow.jpg

With increased line pressure, this pack seems to do fine with the stock (4) clutch count in 47re and 48re on diesel applications up to about 500 HP rear wheel horsepower, after that it's probably a good idea to upgrade this pack.

I just took apart a stock transmission today and the top snap ring was wavy and not the flat. Does it matter what side its on or was it botched from the factory? Off topic but any help would be great.

Should have a wavy spring on the bottom on top of the plastic spacer and a flat selective snap ring above the reaction plate. Has the trans been rebuilt before?

Negative. Its just a 46re out of my dads truck. i though for sure all the wavy snap rings were on the bottem.

Be careful with clutch pack terminology, the direct clutch pack, as in the one forward of the input shaft drum with clutches splined onto the input shaft drum had (5) from the factory in 48re.

The forward clutch pack, as in the one behind the input shaft drum that uses the belleville spring, had (4) from the factory in a 48re.

Be careful with clutch pack terminology, the direct clutch pack, as in the one forward of the input shaft drum with clutches splined onto the input shaft drum had (5) from the factory in 48re.

The forward clutch pack, as in the one behind the input shaft drum that uses the belleville spring, had (4) from the factory in a 48re.

Thanks, I didnt notice this till it was to late to edit. I was talking about 5 clutches in the direct drum of the 48re.

Having just run across these posts the other day, I gotta say "nice"! Big Blue24 turning that forward drum pp over was pretty creative! Even tho I have never needed to do so, it's good to have another option. One of my best friends was one of the 1st to prove to the big boys with the big dollars that a country boy with common sense and used parts could consistently pull a sled further with an automatic than his clutch would. We have had incredible luck with 4 forward clutches and 4-5 direct clutches with proper pressure, valve body, and torq convertor behind 1,000+ hp Dodge Cummins. But, if the game stopped there, then I'd still be driving my 160 hp Cummins rotary pump for fun! I have several extreme trannys ready to try and building others, so maybe I can Share a few lessons learned the hard way and some from others that shared. Like most, I build od first & you all covered that pretty well, but I haven't seen much, if any, attention to oiling that section. Stock OD piston retainers don't have the hole in the same place. Intermediate shafts have different thickness spacers at tail end. The snap ring holding OD unit in case can be worn or distorted. Sometimes it needs to be turned over or replaced. All these things can and often do (even from the factory) cause a restriction in flow to OD. I always use the Sonnax OD piston retainer in my builds because it has the hole right as well as better lube to shaft. I enlarge hole thru case & make sure hole in shaft lines up proper. You don't want to look in there & see part of the race. If you don't think this is important, then build your next engine with the oil passages blocked or restricted & see how long it lasts. Restriction here might make your pressure gauge look good because you don't have flow, but you need flow!!
You already covered planetary play and there are different opinions on overall end play. I see it being critical when adding that fifth clutch to the forward drum. It's easy to add that extra clutch, but having it start out on, much less stay on the splines may not be. I like to assemble tranny stock first and set end play with thrust washers and different thickness thrust between shafts. They come in three sizes. All trannys & components are not the same, even before wear. If you build front section upright in torq convertor, you can again try to select the right thrust to line up oil passages and see where sealing rings will sit and how far they could move with your end play. Too much endplay and again no flow where you want it I shoot for a max of.025 total endplay, seeing only a need for a thin layer of fluid between thrust washers. Now build direct how you want. Build it for your app. A 5 disc drum with Suncoast billet piston and .170 Alto PP will usually take 8 .059 Stage1 red Raybestos clutches & 8 .069 kolene steels. Same setup will also take 6 .086 steels and 6 .084 hi energy Raybestos. It seems that thicker takes the heat from constant shifting due to already discussed bind up. Suncoast billet piston takes 10 return springs and TCS makes a nice one for up to 15 springs like the stock piston can take. Number of springs, line pressure, lever ratio, servos and more are involved in bind up. With the power some of us have, you may not know how bad it kicked your ass until you gotta rebuild! There is good read at DTT website's forum. Bill Kondolay tells it like it is! While there check out there Assassin fuel pump. Also Randy on Ebay sells real nice servos. I've used them & like them!!
OK Drop in forward drum and input shaft. Remove all but one clutch. Take everything off intermediate shaft and put planetary and snap ring back on. Place thrust & spacer in end of input shaft, then add intermediate and planetary. Only now can you see where first clutch will ride. Add all five clutches and steels. Is fifth clutch on splines and will it still be on splines when compressed with allowed endplay?? If not you gotta change thrusts and still maintain endplay. It is time consuming It's frustrating sometimes, but there is no room for error. You could have fifth clutch spinning free above splines or where it will come off splines when compressed. Not good!!!! Usually the bottom pressure plate needs machined down.
While we on forward drum and added a clutch and we got fluid flowing good at higher pressure, probably really tired from reassembling tranny numerous times while doing overtime to pay for it, do I really need that $69 billet forward piston from Suncoast? I'd suggest you get the .840 one and prob not the .780. And yes the .840 can work with either spring. Always use a new spring and make sure there is no play when waved snap ring is on. Rarely will there be any, but if there is, you can use weaker old style to get it out. I think new style stronger & better in most cases. Depending on line pressure you decide to shoot for you may need to get the metal cush ring from T'Flite Patty on Ebay so the plastic one dont squeeze out like jello, If you too had to overkill it with 8 clutches in direct & know you need a minimum of.010 clearance per clutch and preferred .015 per clutch for street, then you need good pressure to close that gap quick while overcoming those extra springs that you need to open it back up.
If any made it this far and have all assemled, Big Blue24 told you right well about band, strut, etc, but if you got cheap and bought the strut with the ribs on the side and not like his, make absolutely positive that the ribs are turned up away from valve body!! Turned wrong it will rub vb & not let band release. Band & drum will burn up quick, taking clutches & more!! To be safe, I turn the billet ones that way also.
Back up to OD for a second & if you need help setting clearance on piston, go here: http://www.atsdiesel.com/PDF/47RE_Overhaul_Instructions_A1.pdf
If all that seemed like a lot, then order a valve body!! If you did all this to drag race, Griner is working on a 618/overdrive transbrake so make sure you went full billet!

Bigblue I remember seeing somewere you were having issues running a forward pressure plate as the forward reaction plate, did you ever get it figured out? I tried it but the outer most clutch was off the splines of the planetaries.

Bigblue I remember seeing somewere you were having issues running a forward pressure plate as the forward reaction plate, did you ever get it figured out? I tried it but the outer most clutch was off the splines of the planetaries.

On my 95' Junker Drag Truck, I recently went back with the 100% stock (4) clutch setup and stock reaction plate in the forward clutch. The last time I opened it up, I was trying to run (2) belleville springs, no cushion spacer just the snap ring, then four clutches and one extra steel between the last clutch and the flipped reaction plate. It ended up with just (3) of the clutches staying engaged on the forward gear splines and with elevated line pressure, it was slipping in the 500-550 rwhp range. It actually held up for about 25 1/4 mile passes and probably 1500 hard street miles before I started to notice the slippage in overdrive with converter locked around 65-70 psi boost. Going back to the stock setup along with getting line pressure dialed in perfectly at 200-ish psi, no more slippage and boost can climb to about 85 psi. On this truck, boost on the topend is closely linked to load on the motor, lower boost is my tell tale sign of slippage in the drivetrain. I always check for boost leaks first, but if my boost tester comes up with no leaks, I start investigating the transmission. I don't have enough 1/4 mile "laps" on the stock 4 clutch setup to know how well it will last long term, but for now, it is definitely holding up fine. My only fear is the pesky stock belleville spring, someone ought to invent a 50% thicker one so we can run 225 psi line pressure without fear!!!

On my 98' daily driver 4x4 "Heavy Truck", I'm still running the (5) clutch forward pack setup that I came up with previously for the Junker Drag Truck. The pan is clean, the transmission is holding the power perfectly, and it now has roughly 40 1/4 mile laps and 22,000 street miles. Keep in mind that it only makes 380-400 rwhp. The compound turbo setup for this truck is 1/2 build, soon I anticipate power in the 550-575 rwhp range :evil

For the the direct clutch on both of my trucks, I'm still running (6) full thickness clutches and steels. The Junker Drag Truck's tranny has never shown much sign of wear and tear during the 3-4 times I've opened it up so I'm pretty confident that (6) clutches is plenty for 600 rwhp and probably good for 750-800 rwhp.

Last edited:
Ive read this thing so many times its kinda mind numbing. I still cant decided what i should do for my 47rh. Everywhere you look someone trys something new and its mind boggling on parts really. Would anyone have some good recommendations for clutches? Im probably over thinking it all too which i am use to doing. I just want to do it right the first time and feel confident about doing it. Done plenty of stocker rebuild nothing really for power with reliability.

After reading will's threads, I always hate myself. I think im gonna have you do my next rebuild LOL

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Scat, nobody can even agree to a brand, much less friction material or grooves! Without good pressure, flow, and clearance between frictions(according to app), they are all doomed.
Big Blue24, something for thought--after recently acquiring billet aluminum forward drum, I had slack with either style piston and spring combo. After a lot of thought and measuring, I removed .020 from where spring sits(using country boy lathe) & no slack with early style spring. Still .020 gap for new style spring. So I can continue machining & use newer spring or go even deeper to use two of my choice. The clearance can be corrected with snap ring above wave ring. I may also be able to go a depth that will put more tension on spring initially, which should give it more strength as it compresses?? Since lower pressure plate rests on spring with over .100 clearance to wave ring, I need to be sure first clutch doesn't fall below splines & shim with steel if it does. The real question to me is which way or combo would give the best spring pressure. Just because it didn't work the first time, doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea! Btw, at ATS site I linked to above, they machine bottom pp to .410 for five forward clutches, but that seems to vary slightly to me.
Picture all that in your mind cause my camera don't work!!

Back