47re Clutch Pack Upgrades

I have heard of 2-3 overlap in vehcles with just shift kits. A little stronger return spring or washers in the base of the stock return spring help this greatly.

In my opinion the red sonnax servo causes issues with the 2-3 shift. Really bad binding like its in two gears. Almost feels like it doesn't release fast enough for the 2-3 shift. Several others on this board have had similar issues.

I know it takes a bit longer to release the larger servo, but IIRC the main issue here is a apply lever longer than 4.2:1. 24vRiveria had this problem with a 5.0:1 apply lever I want to say he went to a 4:0 and adjusted his bands and all is well. Maybe he or blue will chime back in

I know it takes a bit longer to release the larger servo, but IIRC the main issue here is a apply lever longer than 4.2:1. 24vRiveria had this problem with a 5.0:1 apply lever I want to say he went to a 4:0 and adjusted his bands and all is well. Maybe he or blue will chime back in

This truck had a 4.2 lever. Back when we had the issues I tried every kind of band adjustment. From 3 full turns back off to just 7/8 back off. Same dang thing. When we sheared the second band due to a line pressure spike we put the stock one back in and the problem virtually vanished.

I've never had the above problems with my TCS black servo, even with the light return spring it has worked flawless from day one.

Upgraded 2nd gear/intermediate servo:

In my opinion, the high line pressure needed to make the overdrive brake clutches hold on a high powered diesel dictates that a stock sized intermediate servo be used. Then when you figure out the bind-up issues causes by oversized servos requiring "other" remedies or case modifications, you give up on wasting money on the upgraded servo and fix only the leaking cover problem with the o-ringed Sonnax servo cover.

The instructions give you ranges for different firmness. Hardest shifts being .100"-.120" medium being .074"-.093" or so. the clunk might be because you just drilled it out bigger and it's shifting harder.

Is it better just to order all these clutches and bands from wittrans and be done with it? Instead of buying a rebuild kit.

Any chance the carrier bearing is bad or mounts? A more firm shift could make these symptoms more present. I'd start with drive line and move back to trans.

I had a 5:1 lever, went to a4.2, shift bungee got a lot better,
But not gone, then i broke the input from shock i am sure.
Getting this sonnax servo out and going to a stocker.

If you want a billet drum too, from patc, it takes 10 percent off the top of the whole order. Its only 550or so for the drum.

Back