47RH 2-3 shift slip any ideas?

12vCumminsFTW

Tried a boost launch yesterday, locked in 2nd, when I shifted to third locked it let loose for a bit then grabbed again wtf? Almost like it unlocked then locked again. Bit of history on the trans, its a 47rh with stock clutch count, stock clutches, Goerend full manual valve body, tv lever is wired full open. It has never shifted quite right into 3rd since it was rebuilt. Something in the direct pack effed up maybe? Vid below.

Launch tranny fail - YouTube

Adjust the forward band.

That, and call goerend and talk with them. Do you have a line pressure gauge?

Also, what kind of power level are you at? By the looks of the video, you have a decent sized charger. Are you running anything other than an aftermarket valve body? You could definitely be pushing through the stock TC clutch if you havent replaced that, and stock bands might not be happy with too much power, also did goerend give you a beefed up apply lever/anchor?

Last edited:

Also, what kind of power level are you at? By the looks of the video, you have a decent sized charger. Are you running anything other than an aftermarket valve body? You could definitely be pushing through the stock TC clutch if you havent replaced that, and stock bands might not be happy with too much power, also did goerend give you a beefed up apply lever/anchor?

No idea on power level, maybe 500-550.

I have a line pressure gauge sitting here, need to install it asap.

Has a Suncoast triple disc converter, and yes it has the HD 3.8 lever, strut, and anchor from Goerend. I actually used this rebuild kit here.GT2 Master Overhaul Kit for 1996-2003 47RE - Goerend

Last edited:

Pushing through torque converter clutch.... Wtf... Adjust the band. I do tight with a screw driver then back 1 1/4 to 1 1/5ish. Stock strut could be bent too.

Looks like the front band is either really loose or direct clutches are slow to apply/slipping.

That is one loose tc!!

Supposed to be stock stall converter, that was a kinda abusive 35 psi launch lol.

I will adjust the band and check line pressure, but I have a feeling that something is wrong in the direct clutch pack/ piston.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

check the strut, first. adjust the band, and change the filter.

if it is an issue on the shift, and seems to hold while in gear, its probably the band

Looks to me like a flare between 2nd and 3rd gear on the shift. As if 2nd is fully released before 3rd is fully engaged.

Does the tranny have a stock intermediate servo to control the 2nd gear band? If it's stock, it would definitely help to drop the pan and install the upgraded Sonnax servo cover with the o-ring seal.

It would also help to have added feed ports on the direct clutch pack and to remove the waved snap ring and install a solid snap ring.

Looks to me like a flare between 2nd and 3rd gear on the shift. As if 2nd is fully released before 3rd is fully engaged.

Does the tranny have a stock intermediate servo to control the 2nd gear band? If it's stock, it would definitely help to drop the pan and install the upgraded Sonnax servo cover with the o-ring seal.

It would also help to have added feed ports on the direct clutch pack and to remove the waved snap ring and install a solid snap ring.

It does have the upgraded servo cover.

I plan on tearing the tranny down and using a rebuild kit from suncoast which puts 6 clutches in direct, and also a billet drum and upgraded piston. I'll be more careful and make sure the clutch clearances are where they're supposed to be this time around.:doh:

ok so I adjusted the front band and hooked up the line pressure gauge. Doesn't seem to shift much different at least at part throttle. Line pressure seems a bit low but didn't go over half throttle. 150-165ish running through the gears and dropped a bit below 150 locked in OD. Tv lever is wired full open btw.

You can adjust line pressure up, with the pan off. if it's all the way up, and your tv is all the way on and all you get is 150, call Dave back and go bigger on the vb.

150 isnt bad for the HP though. I thought 150 was what Goerend normally set the VB's to, and they would go up to 180 for a full race application?

i was kicking 175/180 with a bd valvebody, and was told it was a mild unit.. will see when i get it back...

Most of the ones i setup are in the 170ish area. I think 150 is a little low for a performance vb.

Yeah I will be definitely be bumping the pressure up. I may have seen like 175 with the TC unlocked when the fluid is cold. When I hit lockup though it drops like 15-20 psi but never comes back up. Is this normal? Cruising at 70-90 in OD locked its only like 140-150 psi. Still running stock pump if that matters.

I had sort of a similar issue, band was just wearing thin and I tightened it a quarter turn until it shifted the way I wanted it to.

In the past I have only run 135psi max in my full manual valve body. That's about to change with some more VB tricks I picked up ;)

Why mess with the vb itself? Give Darren Morrison a call.. Price is right, and i wiki tell you how it functions early next week pending rain.

Some of the 47rh's had a front clutch seal that was a leaker. So, they updated it to better one.

This may be your issue.

Back