4th Place Hook w/Video in Wautoma WI, few ?s

Bobcat698

Pure Diesel Power
Hooked last night with the new 35 spline Detroit locker and Yukon axles.
Just Rolled into the throttle nicely to avoid any more axle/driveshaft/ring & pinion/ and what ever else wants to let loose carnage.
They made us unhook the traction bars.. I didn't rub any more paint of the fenders this time though.
Click here to see Video (Video by my GF Le Rae)
Do you think I have enough fuel yet?

Pulled 281.78 feet.. 1st place was 307 feet, a Duramax.

I am considering pulling the plate back a hair to see if that may help a bit.. does it look like I'm putting out the fire? This pull was in 2nd gear & 3700RPM.. with 4.10s & 35" tires..
The pump is a stock 180 pump with AFC and other modifications, but with no tuning done at a pump shop. Pro Street 66/14 charger from HTT. I make about 51PSI on the street.

I appreciate any input!

BTW did you guys notice the nice dent in the box at the end.. Courtesy of a drunk at Tampico Saturday night after IRP. :bs:

Smokem said:
What is your timing set at? If you have the front rack plug, flat plate, flat AFC lever, 4kGSK, and DDP 4's, I would recommend somewhere around 22-24* of timing and reinstall your 181's. You have too much fuel for the boost pressure you are running.

I turned the fuel back a little bit as a trial.. I only slid the AFC back towards the firewall all the way.
Gained nearly 300RPM pulling in 2nd gear on the track.. Went from 3700 to nearly 4000RPM in 2nd gear.
Will be sliding the plate a bit next to see what I can gain.

24 Degrees timing is what I am running. I have modified the AFC lever, though I don't think its "flat".

Last edited:
Smokem said:
I don't like laser cut delivery valves, but that's just my opinion. I believe 022's are much better because the valves are different, not just machined. I wouldn't lessen rack travel to compensate for too much fuel in each stroke. I've seen a 160hp truck dyno 554whp with DDP4's and an S300. The pump had no plate, no AFC lever, 30* of timing, and 131 delivery valves. The truck hardly smoked, which is unusual for a Garmon truck.

Well I learn something new every day!
Thanks for the tips! I will see what I can line up!

How did you know I was running the things you listed?

I have my 181s around somewhere.. I'll have to look into that to see if I can find them.
The washers are .5mm thick.

I appreciate you insight on my setup.

Did you see the 2 videos above where I had pulled the AFC back?

Smokem said:
Did you move the AFC housing itself, or adjust the tension on the AFC spring? It still looked like you were having atomization issues. If you installed the 0.02" washers you are on the right track.

I have tightened the starwheel so that it is ~1/4 of the way in the circular hole as you look from the top, on the left. This improved overall streetability and lessened the low rpm smoke quite a bit (obviously).
I realize that the correct way to adjust this is with a compressor and set it so that the arm hits full fuel around 30 PSI, but I have not found a compressor that will regulate down that low (most of the ones I have access to are big shop compressors)

I moved the AFC housing itself towards the firewall (in the slots) and I could tell I had gained power, both on the street and in the pulls.. Gaining nearly 300RPM in 2nd gear was nice as well.

i bought a cheap regulator from grainger, it has 1/4" inlets and outlets and a small gauge. i hooked up a quick connect to the one side and various types of air hoses to the other. i just plug it in and adjust the regulator to see what psi it take to make wastegates/afc's to move and adjust them to where i want them.

Now Mike were on earth did you get that idea :)

Garrett, you are now getting a little bit close to a lean condition and that might suit your truck better......did your EGT's go up or can you not read that high! There is a hole lot more to tuning a 12V than throwing in a plate and pushing the AFC all the way forward with the star wheel loose as a goose, but I heard this for 5 years now.

There is no need in chopping off the AFC arm as said above using a TST plate, now if you have a cut plate that is deep as crap then you might do that....(even though I've never seen a need) if the plate is cut real deep then the AFC arm becomes the limiting factor....(hits the arm before the plate)

What Mike is talking about is not just moving stuff around but actually checking when everything happens. Take your AFC for example, your plate is set were ever, call it 3/4 forward, and with a regulator it takes 45 psi of air pressure to bottom the arm into the slot. Ok now, do you or can you make 45psi of boost pressure? If you can make say 50, then at 45 psi you will hit max fueling as set by the plate position. Now look at were the AFC is positioned when you install it with the air pressure still on and lock it down there your done........I do this everytime if there is a doubt. Now, what if you can only make 40, well you then will get to live with it, change the AFC position or change the spring tension/spring. The AFC star wheel is nothing more than a spring loader, it helps you make the spring tighter or looser, but if you get it too tight then it will limit the arms travel as the spring gets into coil bind........this is all best checked with the AFC on the bench.

In your case I would be road testing and trying to find the right match for your air as said above. So you remember when I said my big EDM's were to much fuel for my combo maxed out......bingo, It was better at 1/2 plate than 3/4. The regulator deal is paramount in my eyes, lets you simulate what is happening.

Just so you know that I'm not talking out my butt, yesterday I got to make a few pulls and managed 611 on #2 only with 370's. I had know a know pump issues that I hope I can cure but could pass up a few free pulls. Remember my pump is a stock 215, nice pump but stock with a #6 plate, rack plug, minor pump stand tweaked and 181 DV's.

Hope this helps you!

Jim

Jim Fulmer said:
Now Mike were on earth did you get that idea :)

Garrett, you are now getting a little bit close to a lean condition and that might suit your truck better......did your EGT's go up or can you not read that high! There is a hole lot more to tuning a 12V than throwing in a plate and pushing the AFC all the way forward with the star wheel loose as a goose, but I heard this for 5 years now.

Jim

At WOT on the street I think the EGT's were a bit lower, or at least took a bit longer to max out. Sled pulling I'm not exactly sure, I don't watch much but the tach and the boost when launching to break parts.

At the end of the video first posted on this thread, the Wautoma pull, when I killed the truck the EGT's were at 1400..
Putting the fire out so much that it cooled down maybe?

Bobcat698 said:
H

BTW did you guys notice the nice dent in the box at the end.. Courtesy of a drunk at Tampico Saturday night after IRP. :bs:

was it a red truck that hit you at IRP?

seen a red truck with the side smashed in at the Hotel

nice pull !!!!

Scott

Yes I still run the same motor setup. I use my AFC in it's full form but with a few mods so it will travel futher forward and I can still have it sitting about in the middle or closer to the back......helps low end smoke allot.

Actually the numbers aren't that great, would have guess and did a little higher but like I said had a pump issue.....hope it's fixed now. The water/meth failed somewere but wouldn't work at first anyway because it was set to come on at 40 and 40 psi of boost won't cut it on a hobbs switch.

I had said before this that it was at about 650 on water, actually it should be a little higher. 700 would be a nice goal, 650 on #2.

Jim

and if i remember right it was 2 or 3 years ago that jim was telling me to look into the afc for some power. and his regulator trick works like a dream for everything from afc travel to setting up wastegates on turbos.

Again guys, I appreciate all your help.
I will have the truck back this week after having to throw another Dana 80 under the truck, along with new gears and a bunch of other stuff.

I should have some time to test this stuff this week before the KY pull.

Also, been busy looking at a 215 equipped 12V down in LA, might have another 12V in the stables before too long.

I did a dyno run at 490HP on Madsen's dyno with the laser cuts and the plate 1mm from full forward. I am going to see if I can swap in 181s or 191s and see how it runs.

Back