5r110 update

keithb

I have been in the process of putting a Cummins in a Ford for about the last 6 months. Just working a couple hours here and there as I could. I am running the 5r110 trans with the ford PCM. So far it seems to be working good. I know I have read a lot about these transmissions and the stand alone controllers seem to not work that well.if you need any info on it just let me know.

i have a 12v that i plan to swap into a 04 some time soon (probably actually later) but i am gathering info right now i would be interested in any thing you would be willing to share.

I have been in the process of putting a Cummins in a Ford for about the last 6 months. Just working a couple hours here and there as I could. I am running the 5r110 trans with the ford PCM. So far it seems to be working good. I know I have read a lot about these transmissions and the stand alone controllers seem to not work that well.if you need any info on it just let me know.

I just finished one as well. Works well, just need to fine tune the part throttle shifting.

I am really interested in using the ford pcm rather than the PCs deal that seems like it sucks

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

It was not bad at all. I used the ford tps pedal assembly and a gas burner pedal and put them together. That way you have the signals going to the ford PCM and the lever to pull the throttle cable. I had to use the map sensor,MAF sensor and I used the air intake sensor. The speed signal comes from the rear diff and I got a tack sensor and ring from destrokedcummins.

How much tranny tuning was there,

None so far. It is shifting good right now. I don't have a lot of miles on it yet. Got my new tag today so hoping to get to drive it over the weekend.

That's awesome I'm sure you are going to get tired of my questions before this is all said and done but I'm very interested for sure ,

My truck before the conversion

Attachments

• 074.jpg
    074.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
Getting the Cummins ready to go in.

Attachments

• 092.jpg
    092.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 094.jpg
    094.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 0
very nice is that a vp motor, I havnt seen a lot of them in swaps, have you got to drive it yet, how do you like it?

So far so good.I drove it around all weekend and runs great.Still working on the A/C.Maybe I can finish that this week.

So sense the co is comp. Controlled is it communicating with ford pcm at all?

Yes,
It has most of the 6.0 sensors. MAP,MAF,TPS,water temp,oil pressure and it gets the cam signal and crank signal from a sensor on the front of the engine.Destroked sells that. All the gauges work even the boost gauge in the dash. All these signals feed through the Ford PCM. The Cummins only needs a few wires to make it run. So you have to run the sensors that are on the engine so they tell the ECM whats going on.Its not bad and really like the engine.

5r110w update

I have been driving my truck for about two months now. I would say I am 80% satisfied with my transmission. It could use some fine tuning to make it really nice. When you pull out and take off down the highway it really shifts good. But if you are in traffic going around 45 to 50 mph the convertor seems to lock and unlock to much. Would be good if the convertor would not lock until 55 to 60. Also I ordered the torque convertor De stroked recommends but when you are setting still with it in drive it seems to pull a little to much. Other than that I am mostly satisfied.Hope this helps anyone thinking of running the factory PMC.

I'm planning on doing the same thing! Any recent news on tranny tuning? Have you towed with tow/haul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I towed my travel trailer this weekend. I was very satisfied with the way it shifted. As for tow haul it works as it should. The only thing that I can say negitive is when you are going down the road and let up and coast when you get back in the throttle and the converter locks it locks hard. I would prefer it be a little easier but not that big of a deal.

Back