6.7 Destruction

Thought I answered this, but yeah free rev.

Good progress, did you fire ring this one? I couldn't see it in the photos.

Not doubting you but Ive checked this pressure free rev also.Is this on a 6.7 and do you have the cummins stat that has the relief holes in the horizontal portion of the stat? On the other end of the spectrum i will have a bypass in place from Shane to eliminate any issues while under WOT.I bought a new 5.9thermostat housing to use in order to clean up the engine bay a little more.Ill post some pics of the kit on my 6.7 latter in the week.

And yes this one is fire ringed just like the old one.

Not doubting you but Ive checked this pressure free rev also.Is this on a 6.7

The water pumps are stout - Brandon's measurements jive pretty well with the spreadsheet from our BOE testing several years back (5.9L), and I'd expect the 6.7L pump to be even more aggressive given the new impeller's more efficient design... and it's just good engineering for Cummins to spec higher coolant flow for a hot emissions application.

There's over 200 lbs. of ejection pressure on each of the large block plugs @ rated RPM.

The water pumps are stout - Brandon's measurements jive pretty well with the spreadsheet from our BOE testing several years back (5.9L), and I'd expect the 6.7L pump to be even more aggressive given the new impeller's more efficient design... and it's just good engineering for Cummins to spec higher coolant flow for a hot emissions application.

There's over 200 lbs. of ejection pressure on each of the large block plugs @ rated RPM.

You may expect it but my 6.7 sees no more than 60psi free rev at the rear of the head at 3700rpm,not enough to blow a freeze plug in my opinion.Now company that with inducing cavitation and heat from the exhaust runners while making a WOT pull and you get a different scenario.

Of course - unless the interference fit is off, system pressure alone won't cause a problem... it just preloads the plugs for an easier exit when localized steam pockets form during high fueling.

I'll log the pump curve on the SS 6.7L when it's back together for some good apples-apples #s.

A bypass is going to have you covered no matter what the theory is were the pressure is coming from.

When I blew a plug pulling, on the data log, coolant pressure dropped right when rpm peaked very early, with little load on the engine.

Of interest as well, pressure always drops on my logs as the thermostat opens, and temp is climbing. As far as I'm concerned if there was any flashing off, I'd be seeing it in the pressure's and I don't.

A bypass is going to have you covered no matter what the theory is were the pressure is coming from.

When I blew a plug pulling, on the data log, coolant pressure dropped right when rpm peaked very early, with little load on the engine.

Of interest as well, pressure always drops on my logs as the thermostat opens, and temp is climbing. As far as I'm concerned if there was any flashing off, I'd be seeing it in the pressure's and I don't.

Yea thats why i decided to go ahead and throw one on there.I blew one of the small ones in the oil galley of the head on a long hard pull running a mustang on the interstate,i was at 1900+deg for about 10seconds are so.My theory at that time was the head over expanded and out ran the expansion of the plugs.Now that it has been fixed i have did this same thing multiple times with no other issues,so it really blew that theory out the water.I really think it is a combination of things that contribute to this happening that will also vary from engine to engine.Flow restrictions,casting flaws,tolerances etc.etc.

Just for those wondering the wicked coolant kit worked fine on the 6.7.I also decided to change the thermostat housing to a 5.9 housing to get rid of the sensor hanging on the side.I will be smoking this pig tomorrow.

IMG_20101221_160614.jpg

IMG_20101221_170228.jpg

Ecm shot!!!!

Well i got it back together and low and behold the ecm is fried.I decided to pull it off and take a look on the inside.

IMG_20101223_170509.jpg

Here is the back side,the rods knocked it of the block.

IMG_20101223_170541.jpg

And here is the inside,i did find some pieces that were not where they were supposed to be.

IMG_20101223_170559.jpg

And here she sits awaiting a new ECM.

IMG_20101223_160315.jpg

I decided to run a new 3/4" fuel line to the engine compartment while the engine was out.

IMG_20101223_150933.jpg

It goes up to a y block then to each pump.

IMG_20101223_151620-1.jpg

IMG_20101223_151456.jpg

Back