62/3b twin combo

BgBlDodge

Hates hippies
What do yall think about that setup? I might have a line on a couple of 3b's that need a rebuild and if I could get them cheap enough I might just throw that under my 62. The 62 has a 12cm housing on it that's had the wastegate enlarged and hogged out big time and it's setup for twins. Would a 3b and 62/12 be an alright setup for a 600hp twin combo that might have some nitrous run through it?

The 3B is a common addition to HX35s and 40s for twins and as long as you spool the 62 alright now, I don't see why it wouldn't be a good setup. If you get those 3B's let me know how much you might want for one, I got an HX40 that needs a partner. Also, make sure the 3B's are 23cm exhaust housings, anything bigger will make it laggy.

I would wonder about putting a 26 on the a setup with the 62 on top. The 3b with the 35 definately like the 23 but I would think the air capacity of the 62 would probably like to see a 26.

Yes and to move more air. The 62 has the ability to move more air so you don't need quite as tight of exhaust housing.

Lighting this 62 off is not an issue. It spools better than my factory hy35. I definately don't want a laggy setup. I drive this truck 600 miles a week and do a lot of in town driving and 35" tires with 3.54 gears and a tight auto is not a good combo for in town driving and laggy turbos.

Forrest Nearing said:
hang a K31 under it

A K31 is nice but it will be a little short in the air deptartment for 600 and good cooling @ WOT. Also a K31 is 3-4 times the price of a 3B.

I would look for a larger S400.

The 3B will not allow you to keep your heat exchanger in the stock location. Also the plumbing is a little harder with a cc rotating turbo.

I am going to make a pretty similar setup in a few months, I think with a 77mm inducer'd BHT3B and 23cm housing it should do just fine. MCummins on DTR has like 580 and is running a HX35/14 on top with a HT3B/22...

S400 housings are rated by a/r, like 1.10 or 1.32, how does this compare with the 23cm or 26 cm ones? fwiw I have often read the 23cm was a little tight if you are going for big power.

sniperonhigh said:
S400 housings are rated by a/r, like 1.10 or 1.32, how does this compare with the 23cm or 26 cm ones? fwiw I have often read the 23cm was a little tight if you are going for big power.

I once heard that a 23cm 3B housing was like 1.15 a/r .... Don't know how factual that is though...

On the set I am going to build I might plumb an external wastegate into the hotpipe to bypass the 3B but I think I will worry about that after I get them ade and take some data from running them some. I want to be able to drive around in town with nice crisp spoolup and lay down 600+RWHP on just diesel and possibly spray water to cool EGT's.

I think I am also going to build my own exhaust manifold using 1.5" ID pipe or 1.75" if I can get it... I plan on either coating everything with a heat retainer or wrapping the hell out of it in thermal stuff, manifold to downpipe!

If you do go with a HT3B, I would run a 26 housing. Like you said, spooling the 62 is cake, and the 26 housing will help out the top end, especially with nitrous.

You might even think about running an external gate around the big charger later on with the nitrous!

Chris

Jetpilot said:
A K31 is nice but it will be a little short in the air deptartment for 600 and good cooling @ WOT. Also a K31 is 3-4 times the price of a 3B.

I thought 3B's were like $400-500?

if you're getting them for $200-275, I'll buy a few :)

Hmm. So yall actually think that this would be a good setup. Interesting. I have actually thought of doing an external gate and when I finally go nitrous (if I go nitrous) I will.

justinp20012500 said:
I would look for a larger S400.

The 3B will not allow you to keep your heat exchanger in the stock location. Also the plumbing is a little harder with a cc rotating turbo.

I have seen a CC rotating charger on an automatic with the stock tranny cooler left in place. It was a tight fit. If it were to happed again, he would ahve not used it though.

Go with a 26cm housing a 23 is for something more of a smaller towing setup housing

What will a 3b with a 26cm support? I was thinking they were all done around the 550rwhp mark, but it sounds like you can lean on them a little harder??

B18B1LS1 said:
What will a 3b with a 26cm support? I was thinking they were all done around the 550rwhp mark, but it sounds like you can lean on them a little harder??

600-625 with Egt's in the yellow zone, not too hot, but prob hit 1500 by the end of the 1/4 track.

Back