7.3 barely idling

FosterW

How Now Brown Cow
Hey guys,
I'm not a powerstroke man so I have a question for ya. Theres this truck running around I believe to be a 7.3, that barely idles. The kid tells everybody its all hopped up but won't say what. I call BS. It hazes decent at "idle" too. Sometimes the lights dim when it really gets struggling.

Whats going on here? Stealth or other HPOP's don't make them idle like that do they? Huge injectors? resistor mod?:bang

im guessing resistor mod, a few boys around me run a 1k resistor, and it makes em lope and have a haze, more the less sounds and performs like $hit. lol

Is it a local truck? Reason I ask there is a truck from around here that idles stupid...the boy that owns it is working up that direction somewhere. His truck has large injectors.

Probably not the same truck. The one from down here is a white 2003 with a pretty good lift and the body is really beat.

im guessing resistor mod, a few boys around me run a 1k resistor, and it makes em lope and have a haze, more the less sounds and performs like $hit. lol

It wont make a stock truck lope enough to notice. I have to set on 140 to get mine to lope. Even then its not at idle. Only when I get on it and let off suddenly it lopes real hard.

Hey guys,
I'm not a powerstroke man so I have a question for ya. Theres this truck running around I believe to be a 7.3, that barely idles. The kid tells everybody its all hopped up but won't say what. I call BS. It hazes decent at "idle" too. Sometimes the lights dim when it really gets struggling.

Whats going on here? Stealth or other HPOP's don't make them idle like that do they? Huge injectors? resistor mod?:bang

Whos truck are you talking about there buddy!

Hey guys,

I just want to know how you call BS after you just admitted your ignorance of a specific platform?

Maybe he wont tell you because he feels there is a gain in not disclosing the details of his rig. Maybe you should challenge him to a race for a nice chunk of change and find out.

Most times.... a choppy idling 7.3 is just a sign of an ill-tuned truck, or one with a F'ed up set of injectors/compression issue.

It's rare that a set of injectors simply can't be tamed, and by tamed, I mean damn good idle.

If it's idling like sh*t....... it's just idling like sh*t, not much to read into that. Usually has very little to do with performance. Unplug one UVC harness and you can have a hell of a "lope" on a stock truck. Yippie.

Do ask him to race. I bet you stomp his ass.

Haha you think they should race, he is going to have one heck of a time trying to keep up with him. That truck has some chit and get. *nx*

Haha you think they should race, he is going to have one heck of a time trying to keep up with him. That truck has some chit and get. *nx*

So he just can't tune then? Or he chooses to force his truck to idle like ass or what?

And to quantify "chit and get"......

What kind of power does it put down? Or what times does it usually click off? Or is it just a parking lot pounder?

I just want to know how you call BS after you just admitted your ignorance of a specific platform?

Maybe he wont tell you because he feels there is a gain in not disclosing the details of his rig. Maybe you should challenge him to a race for a nice chunk of change and find out.

I call BS because Ive seen a handfull of hopped up powerstrokes and never heard one run like a pile of crap. Just an opinion.

So he just can't tune then? Or he chooses to force his truck to idle like ass or what?

And to quantify "chit and get"......

What kind of power does it put down? Or what times does it usually click off? Or is it just a parking lot pounder?

Well if its the truck i think this kid is talking about because there are only 2 trucks on campus on idle like that, i know the owners of both.

Both trucks are build but one is more than the other. The one kid is running a set of 250cc single shot injectors, and it lopes like a sun-of-a-gun! He has it a lot of add ons to it that i wont be suprised if it blows up on him. The truck just has a stock bottom end and no studs. But yet runs a huge 72mm turbo, 250cc injectors and 7 position chip, along with a built trans, stock (bone stock) hpop and resistor mod.

Where as the other kid has just 160cc single shots, a larger than stock turbo, 4 position chip, but a lot more block work. And it lopes but not as bad.

:thankyou2:

Well if its the truck i think this kid is talking about because there are only 2 trucks on campus on idle like that, i know the owners of both.

Both trucks are build but one is more than the other. The one kid is running a set of 250cc single shot injectors, and it lopes like a sun-of-a-gun! He has it a lot of add ons to it that i wont be suprised if it blows up on him. The truck just has a stock bottom end and no studs. But yet runs a huge 72mm turbo, 250cc injectors and 7 position chip, along with a built trans, stock (bone stock) hpop and resistor mod.

Where as the other kid has just 160cc single shots, a larger than stock turbo, 4 position chip, but a lot more block work. And it lopes but not as bad.

:thankyou2:

No, thank you...... for proving my point.

Based on what you just wrote, the choppy idle is bs, and totally self-induced, and has nothing to do with making any power.

Like I said to the OP, race him and stomp his ass, lol.

I took a video just so you can remember what a 7.3 is supposed to sound like...

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZxE7XMxR7Q[/MEDIA]

ya it is self induced, ill give u that, but the kid runs it all the time like that. Im telling you right now it is quick chit. If you really think that dodge would kick his ass i would like to see it happen

ya it is self induced, ill give u that, but the kid runs it all the time like that. Im telling you right now it is quick chit. If you really think that dodge would kick his ass i would like to see it happen

I just can't stand purposefully making an engine run like sh*t is all. Seems retarded to me. Some people just like to pose like they have some kind of radical, unmanageable setup for some reason though. Always makes it that much more fun if you can roll up after they've been sitting there with it about to die it's so "mean" all night, and you come in idling like or near stock and then if the chance arises, just bust their ass when it comes time to run em without even breaking a sweat. That, or just sit and listen to the mouthing all night and wait till they leave and follow them out and lure them into running their "Beast" against your little street truck that sounds stock...

:hehe:

It doesn't take much of a dodge to do that...I don't care what size injectors or turbos neither of those 7.3's have chit if they idle choppy. :hehe:

Back