7.3 barely idling

Haha ya well thats basicly what happens. We get those guys onto the highway and dust them. The other reason it would be so choppy is at idle all that unburned fuel is there i no fully combusted.

And let me clarify one thing these truck are not "barely idling" they run perfectly fine it just has a different tone than what a normal psd sounds like.

It might sound weird for the unknowing and challenged but that is the way it is, and its time to leave the world of inline 6cyl and explore the world.

Haha ya well thats basicly what happens. We get those guys onto the highway and dust them. The other reason it would be so choppy is at idle all that unburned fuel is there i no fully combusted.

And let me clarify one thing these truck are not "barely idling" they run perfectly fine it just has a different tone than what a normal psd sounds like.

It might sound weird for the unknowing and challenged but that is the way it is, and its time to leave the world of inline 6cyl and explore the world.

My truck that I just took that video of is running 300cc hybrids that empty is less than 2.5ms...

So maybe you can clue me in on this whole unburned fuel, lack of combustion thing?

Maybe I'm just unknowing and challenged, but I would venture a guess that the one idling fine in that video probably puts and easy 100hp on your buddy any day of the week.

;)

Well i guess your hpop is as good as mine is cuz mine will do the same thing.

Look all the kid told me was that it idles like that cuz his injectors are to feeding to much fuel to it and it not getting enough air at idle.

Look all the kid told me was that it idles like that cuz his injectors are to feeding to much fuel to it and it not getting enough air at idle.

He's wrong. Tell him it would idle fine it it weren't purposefully tuned to idle like sh*t, lol.

If that's just his cup of tea, so be it. But as for the OP, no, the idle has nothing to do with performance.

Depending on how well everything else is working, that truck is probably low 400's, to mid 500hp. I thought all dodges came stock with at least that much?

:D

So you believe everything you hear?

oh i understand that idle has nothin to do with performance but the trucks bark is just as bad as its bite

No I dont but when his dealer tells him that when im standing right next to him and i hear his conversation and thats what the dealer says then I tend to believe that but if your tellin me that it shouldnt be, then i guess it shouldnt be.

oh i understand that idle has nothin to do with performance but the trucks bark is just as bad as its bite

Really? Cause Mike-O's truck did over 1000 corrected and idles just like mine if not better. I'd say your buddy's truck is way high on "bark" and way low on "bite" based on the OP.

But like I said, if that's his thing, that's his thing. I figure if a truck's idling rough it better be making stupid power, otherwise, you just can't tune, or it's hurt.

Yea i think he is tryin to get a p-pumped 7.3 and drop that in there. And he is trying to blow this one up.

ya like i said i know enought to get me in trouble but some stuff i still need a lil clarification on, but more of the nitty gritty.

I'm talking about the sharp looking black and blue one.

All i got to say is you better be ready for him. He runs a lil spray if he races usually. But his weak link is he doesnt know much about his own truck. He knows what he did to it but nothin how it all works. just a lil fyi

Is he one of those? Just gonna "drop" a ppumped 7.3 in there.. If he can't get that thing to run correctly what makes him think that will be easier.

I'm not planning on racing anybody.

Dude i couldnt tell ya. Mr. kropp put that idea in his mind, and he likes it.

Nothin he lives in wilpo drives a black dodge extended cab dually with off road lights.

Is he one of those? Just gonna "drop" a ppumped 7.3 in there.. If he can't get that thing to run correctly what makes him think that will be easier.

I'm not planning on racing anybody.

If you have the money.........

Ive seen a couple like that. With P-Pumped 7.3s too.

It wont make a stock truck lope enough to notice. I have to set on 140 to get mine to lope. Even then its not at idle. Only when I get on it and let off suddenly it lopes real hard.

Who's tunes are you runnin again? The RTI can be adjusted to prevent lope on let off.

Resistors will make a stock 7.3 lope, once the engine warms up, a 3.4k will give you a pretty choppy/chitty lope, with a little haze. I put one in, observed the result, and pulled it back out. Why you would do that to your truck, I don't know.

And he is trying to blow this one up.

What would that prove that his idle doesn't?

Who's tunes are you runnin again? The RTI can be adjusted to prevent lope on let off.

Resistors will make a stock 7.3 lope, once the engine warms up, a 3.4k will give you a pretty choppy/chitty lope, with a little haze. I put one in, observed the result, and pulled it back out. Why you would do that to your truck, I don't know. ?

I have stock TS tunes. Before the first person goes on that rant. I like it and Im gonna keep them for now.

Anyway, with the timing it makes it lope on the 140. Im not 100% on the issue but it is supposed to up the inj pressure I think? I dont know. Only reason I did it was just to se what happened really.

Ill tell ya one thing. I noticed a hell of a kick in throttle response when I did it though. Seems like it gets off the line a little better. No choppy or chittly lope. Its smooth for the most part. And it doesnt haze either. I used a 10k ohm resistor with a 1/2 watt variable though.

TS chips are good starters, as you know I'm sure. A few places offer pretty cheap reburns if you wanted to go that way. Johnathan would probably offer you the best deal, since you know him Daniel.

The timing only increases cylinder pressure. I'm pretty sure that aggressive ICP is what causes the lope, but I dunno, I'm not a tuner, and short of actually dumping alot of fuel very quickly with a large injector and an open nozzle, (12V) I don't know how a guy would make it do that. Or why when that fuel at idle can be tuned out on a PSD by a guy that know's what he's doin.

With a resistor mod the ICP sensor lies to PCM about how much ICP you're pushing, the bigger the resistor, the bigger the lie. So the PCM just ramps the hell outa the IPR DC's until it see's 3k. So you're off the line may improve, but once things get rollin you're probably seein pressures well north of 3k on a healthy pump. Which is far from ideal. Some trucks with older injectors will fall off north or near 3k because of wear in the oil side. The poppets can't hold anymore, and the oil just goes right through. The plastic diaphram in the ICP sensor would be the first thing I'd expect to actually fail. When I played around with 'em tryin to see why everybody was using 'em, I couldn't get any lope until I got down to a 3.4, and the motor warmed up. I guess when resistors get hot, they're more resistant? I wasn't able to data log anything, since the ICP sensor was lyin to the PCM. But I think I'm probably not far off with my guess at what the ICP actually does. Maybe you've come to the same opinion, I dunno.

Custom tunes ramp the IPR DC's more aggressively than most canned tunes, but without compromising the "safe" max ICP setting.

Back