84 Chevy Crew Cab 12v Conversion

im running a BBC in mine.. it did make a difference on mine im sure it will be more noticable with the heavier 5.9

While I am sure that it would make a difference I just don't really see it being a benefit to me. I've seen plenty of these trucks using the stock parts and not had a problem. And I've already started welding the plates into the frame so pulling the stock ones out is not really a go because I'd have to spend a lot of time cutting to get the plates out. If I do ever have a problem with these stock ones I will defenently upgrade. I just can't shell out $150 for something that I already have and seems to work. All the stuff I have been doing is because I got a hell of a deal on. All my 1/4" plate I got for boxing the frame was $10, and I got 30 foot of 10"x14" steel. Otherwise the frame would have stayed stock. Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to argue, I'm not I'm just trying to show my point of view lol I'm just a broke college student trying to build a truck of my dreams. I may be cutting some corners in some places but I think I'm doing pretty well.

I like those old crew cab Chevys, looks real good.

Tobin

While I am sure that it would make a difference I just don't really see it being a benefit to me. I've seen plenty of these trucks using the stock parts and not had a problem. And I've already started welding the plates into the frame so pulling the stock ones out is not really a go because I'd have to spend a lot of time cutting to get the plates out. If I do ever have a problem with these stock ones I will defenently upgrade. I just can't shell out $150 for something that I already have and seems to work. All the stuff I have been doing is because I got a hell of a deal on. All my 1/4" plate I got for boxing the frame was $10, and I got 30 foot of 10"x14" steel. Otherwise the frame would have stayed stock. Sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to argue, I'm not I'm just trying to show my point of view lol I'm just a broke college student trying to build a truck of my dreams. I may be cutting some corners in some places but I think I'm doing pretty well.

with your fab skills you could make them easily... all they are is a poly leaf spring eye bushing that runs a 9/16 bolt vs 7/16 i bought with dom tube for 15.00 each.. i bought them because i didnt have the tools and mine where shot

Well I'm glad someone thinks I have fab skills haha, this is really my first time messing with steel like this. I have thought about taking those out and just putting a Dom sleeve in the frame and putting bushings in that. That way it is stuck to the frame good. I just don't know where I could get Dom tubing that isn't 20 foot long. I don't really need that much.

i used a non grease version for my engine mounts on my dmax conversion of my 99
Fabricators set (Type 2)
and made these
154570_3654676359093_1040072946_3244153_857683798_n.jpg

576894_3657022297740_1040072946_3245393_3595947_n.jpg

That would fit into my frame... Hmmm. Maybe I should think about this more

they make really nice motor mounts as well.. stiffer then OEM but not solid..
at idle the dmax will vibrate the front tires and front bumper.. though you cannot feel the vibrations sitting the cab.

seen them used for tranny/t-case mounts as well. 2" hole saw and you put them in anything basicly..

they make really nice motor mounts as well.. stiffer then OEM but not solid..
at idle the dmax will vibrate the front tires and front bumper.. though you cannot feel the vibrations sitting the cab.

seen them used for tranny/t-case mounts as well. 2" hole saw and you put them in anything basicly..

Ive thought about using them for motor mounts as well. But not 100% sure just yet. I might use them to mount my tranny/tcase cross member. Im still thinking about putting them in the frame for the shackle, but i am not really sure how to go about drilling a straight 2 inch hole through both sides of the frame.

Things have been busy with school so things have not been going as fast as I was hoping but I did get some shop time today.

Got the sleeves for the steering box and got them welded to the frame. Still need to drill out the boxing plate to fit around the sleeves.

9E954117-E83A-4DF2-BBDC-C73CC9714374-14307-00000CC0B76B3FEF.jpg

Also made a new cross member for the front because the stock one has to be cut up to fit the 12v in so I decided to make a new cross member so that I can try to mount the motor lower in the frame some.

0504D0B9-72F0-4490-A507-72A6A25A7B0E-14307-00000CC0C128F1A4.jpg

Got more plates tacked in the frame. Getting close!
D368960A-33F5-408A-925E-26BE8226CB80-14307-00000CC0CA811AED.jpg

That is all for this update. Hoping to get the frame done the next time I get to work on the truck. Then it will be time to put the cab back on and start making the mounts for the motor.

Ive thought about using them for motor mounts as well. But not 100% sure just yet. I might use them to mount my tranny/tcase cross member. Im still thinking about putting them in the frame for the shackle, but i am not really sure how to go about drilling a straight 2 inch hole through both sides of the frame.

the C part is easy.. opened it up with a dremel/grinder.
the boxed part..
take said bushing assembled
slide through hole on the outside and pushed it against the inside.
mark center of bolt hole with a 9/16" bitt
then remove and drill a 5/16" hole for the 2" holesaw
drill hole should be PDFC

the C part is easy.. opened it up with a dremel/grinder.
the boxed part..
take said bushing assembled
slide through hole on the outside and pushed it against the inside.
mark center of bolt hole with a 9/16" bitt
then remove and drill a 5/16" hole for the 2" holesaw
drill hole should be PDFC

That would work. I need to make sure that the holes in the frame are in the same spot on each side because i drilled those because i converted the truck to 4x4. Because I used a 2 inch hole which was actually bigger than the stock mount so I was able to move it around in the hole and mount it where I needed it. Im still looking into that but right now I just have the pieces tacked in so i can remove them and get the stock stuff out. Probably going to get all the pieces cut for the rest of the frame then work on getting new shackle mounts put in. Thanks again for the idea of using those dom sleeves tho. Should really beef it up and be a good upgrade!

Last edited:
with the 2" holesaw i had to file couple burs to get the DOM tubing through the holes, nice snug fit they are

Looks great glad to see someone else doing one as well. I still have got to start on the one I am building for a guy same as yours.
Except he bought a 1985 cclb dually chevy and a 1993 dodge donor truck so i have got to swap the front axle first the do the motor swap
What axle did you use ?Dodge or chevy?

Right now I have a Chevy Dana 44 under the truck. Going to be picking up a dodge d60 some time to put under it because I don't think the Dana 44 will last very long under the cummins

Right now I have a Chevy Dana 44 under the truck. Going to be picking up a dodge d60 some time to put under it because I don't think the Dana 44 will last very long under the cummins

Ahh gotcha I am planning on installing the dodge dana 60 from the 93
what all brackets did you have to do to change to the 4wd front axle ?

Really all I did was replace the front body mounts with the spring and body mounts from a 4x4, and then drill 2" holes through the frame for the rear shackles. If I did it again I would probably take a 2x4x1/4" tubing and weld se diy4x spring mounts to it and then weld that to the frame.

Back