84 Chevy Crew Cab 12v Conversion

Have any of these guys been putting sumps in steel tanks? We just did an alligator sump on a 00 Dodge, and I'd bet that sump would leak lke a ***** on a steel tank.

Well I have finally gotten some stuff done to the truck this past week. First I had to make a mount that went from the transmission to the transmission mount and then i made the cross piece for the cross member.

87DED361-3ED4-47DC-BBE4-40DCEDDAC6CA-2885-000001C8B482FFBF.jpg

I then needed to connect the cross member to the frame so I made these 1" slugs with 2 1/2 inch holes in them for the bolts.

8FD0A59C-C81E-4E79-B808-50049DFB1541-527-0000002565F91E36.jpg

And here is the whole thing tacked in.

A183E6B8-9DFB-4226-9724-AC69ED771F9C-527-0000002576FF6D27.jpg

The brackets on the frame will be gusseted so it should hold pretty well.

Last edited:
:Cheer: comin together.

Looking good and coming along quick

Dale

Thanks guys!

Right now I have a 4 inch lift kit on the truck. I want to run 37 inch tires and it seems that to be able to run 37s I need a to run a 6 inch lift kit without having to trim the fenders. I am kind of thinking about going with an 8 inch lift kit. I found a used one for cheap.

The D44 will not hold up to the torque of the cummins at that power. Im kind of afraid of the ball joints with the weight of the motor. But I put new ball joints in less than 200 miles ago so I think it should last while I am able to get a D60 (Getting a D60 from a 93 dodge with 3.54 gears). I am currently running 4.10 gears. With 33 tires I would like to have like 3.54 or 3.73 gears, but I am starting to think about putting the truck up on the 37 inch hummer tires and keeping it SRW for right now till it runs and then maybe find some 16.5 dually wheels.

Hey man, I like what you're doin there! I've got a square CC and a spare Cummins/5sp that I been thinkin putting together for a while now. Just haven't done it yet cause I have a 97 with a cummins already lol. But anyway, you are talkin bout the 3.54 and hummer tire....... That's exactly what I have on my 97 GM crew cab Chummins and I love it!!!! I have about 8" lift and I still pull my heavy 17ft dovetail car trailer and my 48' goose with it too no problem!! :) I can cruze the toll roads in Oklahoma doin 80 at 2,000! :) stock 95 P-pump and only thing I've done is slide the fuel plate forward so far and it runs good :) I'm goin to up the timing, put injectors in, and compound it (only to help keep the exhaust temp down and for towing). I think you'll like that combo man! Keep up the good work man!!

Last edited:
I actually passed on the dodge axle with 3.54 gears. I am picking up a Chevy Dana 60 with 4.10 gears on Monday.

Oh yea, and the 3" inch spacers are perfect for those 37"x12.50 hummer tires.

The 4.10 wouldn't be bad with the 37's and 5sp. :) My axles just happened to have the 3.54 and it worked out for me cause I do travel all over the country and need the good cruzing rpm's too. But the cummins is a beast and it still pulls my trailers too.

Man I can't remember exactly. I bought them from a buddy that used them to make an 04 2500 Chevy into a dually welding truck but sold it and kept the bed and put it back stock and kept them. I'll ask him tomorrow, but I know they are billets.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357371365.555206.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1357371396.039696.jpg
This is when I first put them on last year. 36x14.50 swamps, but I have the hummer 37"s now and it looks great

Yeah the 4.10s and 4.10 gears should act like 33s and 3.54 gears I believe. Alrigt just let me know. Thinking about picking up a 8" lift kit for the truck. Might be a little to high but I think it will work fine.

Well I have no problem towing with mine, it's what I built it for lol. But I was not planning on building it so high, just happened that way. I did use the dodge 60 and built brackets and all and made it 4-link. I was gonna use the springs and all on the front and make it about 4" lift so 33"s would be great. But when I got to putting the axle under it I realized the frame wouldn't work without completely hacking it up and redoin it. So I went with air bags and the ride hight on them being mounted right under the frame, it ended up bout 8" of lift, so then that looked retarded with smaller tires lol. But I use a solid drop bar in my receiver that's rated at 12,000 lbs and just rock on man. I am glad I went bigger, it looks awesome and gets lots of compliments.

Last edited:
Back