~91 Jetta gas GLI converted to a 1.6 turbo diesel build up~

53 willys

Diesel Dirt Head
In my quest for better MPG's I ran across Zukgod1's diesel jetta build up thread...then I noticed he was in the same state as me..so I PMed him about his car...after talking back and forth with him I decided I would buy a Gas GLI jetta and just convert it to the simple mechanical diesel..I really dont like VW's electronics in the newer ones so I figured a old school diesel swap would be best for what I wanna do.

thought some guys on here would like to see the progress so he goes....
I set out to find a REALLY clean body car..I did not want to mess with the body stuff I just wanted a clean car that was not BEAT!
I found a California car that was a one owner GERMAN built car..I flew out and and drove it back to Utah.
here is the car..
DSC_0403.jpg

DSC_0404.jpg

DSC_0406.jpg

I picked up one of Zukgod1s spare engines 1.6TD
16td1.jpg

16td2.jpg

16td3.jpg

16TD4.jpg

I torn the engine down and had it rebuild...I port and polished the head myself..
DSC_0431.jpg

I also lightened the intermediate shaft
DSC_0434.jpg

some go fast goodies!!:evil
DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg

Mercedes benz injector tips..
injectorMB.jpg

K24/26 hybrid turbo:ft:
hybridturbo2.jpg

I almost got the engine put back together..I will post some more updates soon...

let me know cost i got a old body style 99 and was thinking of replacing the old but true 2.0l gas with a little green house diesel haha:)

how ya gonna make the rest of the car werk w/o the engine mangement. my 02 would be impossible to make werk for the swap

how ya gonna make the rest of the car werk w/o the engine mangement. my 02 would be impossible to make werk for the swap

make what work??? the engine management is different wiring harness then the rest of the stuff....the only thing the 1.6td wants is a keyed power(that will come from the distributor power wire) and a glow plug relay system.

that's the whole point of this is that it is a EASY conversion...Im not the first guy to do this either..it's been done MANY times.
even if the check engine light was on after this it would not matter..I could pull the bulb out and the diesel or the rest of the car wont know the difference.
never say impossible:poke:

Cool project...

Is there someplace online to read about the model of 1.6 engine you are using? No electronics would make it an ideal swap into alot of things. What's the power rating on the engine and what do you plan to tweak it up to?

Cool project...

Is there someplace online to read about the model of 1.6 engine you are using? No electronics would make it an ideal swap into alot of things. What's the power rating on the engine and what do you plan to tweak it up to?

this is the best forum I have found for the VW diesels... http://www.vwdiesel.net/phpBB/

if you want a real power house the 1.9TD(non ECU version) would be best....this little 1.6td engine i have is only about 68hp factory...but there are a few guys with 200hp 1.6td's:ft:
I am shooting for about 150hp for mine...I commute so I want it fast...but I dont want to lose my reliability either..the 1.9's are also harder to find and ALOT more money then the 1.6td's
my intercooler should be here today!!!!!:rockwoot:

Can you list a rundown of what mods you will be doing to the engine in order to get around 150 hp and probably around 300 to 400 ft lbs?

Can you list a rundown of what mods you will be doing to the engine in order to get around 150 hp and probably around 300 to 400 ft lbs?

Well so far my list is something like this
BIG hybrid turbo k24/k26....stock is a k14 or smaller
Benz injector tips
intercooler
injection pump tweaked to the max!
gov mod
ground down fuel pin
3" down pipe and exhust

I may end up needing a bigger ip pump head to make my goal but once I get it together I will see how it does..the pump head is a pretty easy change.

Got my intercooler set up last night!! I will post some pics later....

Well so far my list is something like this
BIG hybrid turbo k24/k26....stock is a k14 or smaller
Benz injector tips
intercooler
injection pump tweaked to the max!
gov mod
ground down fuel pin
3" down pipe and exhust

I may end up needing a bigger ip pump head to make my goal but once I get it together I will see how it does..the pump head is a pretty easy change.

Got my intercooler set up last night!! I will post some pics later....

Hellz yeah brothat that is bad ass... Didn't i see some ARP studs in them pics too!!! Your are a diesel junkie just as much as I am!!!:bang:hehe::rockwoot:

Hellz yeah brothat that is bad ass... Didn't i see some ARP studs in them pics too!!! Your are a diesel junkie just as much as I am!!!:bang:hehe::rockwoot:

yeah I am a diesel dirt head!!!...I sold my CNG car cause I missed and liked running oil burners more:evil

I punched out the gas tank to fit diesel nozzles this week..I used some 1.5" DOM tubing and heated it up with a propane torch...punched out the little metal flapper...I was nervous if it would work but it actually worked better then I expected!
forgot to take the camera over so all I have is phone pics..and I forgot to snap a pic of the tank opening.

gastankpunchout.jpg

gastankpunchout2.jpg

Tranny

The GLI/GTI spec trans are a bad choice for a diesel if you want decent mpg. They are close ratio and have a final drive that puts you at about 3500rpm at 65. If you can find an early FF code trans they have the best final drive ratios to put behind a engine with torque. Or even any non gti/gli trans would work. I used to use them in my turbo cars I built. your old 2.0 16v and trans is worth a lot to the VW guys and should have no problem getting some good $ out of them. Good luck and have fun driving that thing!

The GLI/GTI spec trans are a bad choice for a diesel if you want decent mpg. They are close ratio and have a final drive that puts you at about 3500rpm at 65. If you can find an early FF code trans they have the best final drive ratios to put behind a engine with torque. Or even any non gti/gli trans would work. I used to use them in my turbo cars I built. your old 2.0 16v and trans is worth a lot to the VW guys and should have no problem getting some good $ out of them. Good luck and have fun driving that thing!

Yeah I know I picked up a ASF trans..it has the same ratios as the diesel trans..I also swaped the 2Y (16v trans) 100mm axle flanges onto the ASF so I dont need diffrent axles..

thanks for the heads up:Cheer:

I have more done then this...these pics are from last week..I will post some new stuff up later..
got a pic of the governor mod..
I use a steel roll pin for mine...it fit the shaft real nice and allowed the spring to stay on there for some slight give...
govmod.jpg

also got my ARP studs installed
studs.jpg

stock 2 notch gasket...1mm over bore pistons
studsandHG.jpg

I replaced some more seals on the trans...while I was doing that I decided I would change that bushing in the end of the shaft...I had to make a tool to pull it out...I ended up using a tap welded to some nuts..then the nuts attached to the slid hammer...worked great!
transbushing.jpg

the engine is put together for the most part...I should have it installed by middle of next week(my next days off)
if I can get my coolant hoses by then I may even drive it next week 8)

well I have got the turbo mounted and pretty much got the supply and drain lines figured out....
I had to make a spacer for the turbo so it would not hit the intake manifold...it worked really well and was super easy to make.
DSC_0435.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

more spacer shots...you can also see my BOV eliminator cap...Zukgod1 gave me the idea....you take a VW strut cap turn it down till it fits in the same spot as the stock BOV and I also weld in a 1/8" NPT steel fitting for my boost gauge...
DSC_0445.jpg

here you can see the oil drain....
DSC_0440.jpg

DSC_0441.jpg

I cut the stock metric threads off the pan and welded a -AN fitting (10) to the old metric pipe fitting....I LOVE -AN fittings so I wanted to change so I dont have worry about finding weird fittings or threads for a drain.
DSC_0442.jpg

-AN oil supply and and -AN water supply too...
DSC_0439.jpg

DSC_0444.jpg

Back