99 Chevy 3500 HD (CK) 6.5 to dmax

Gonna sell it?

lbz swap on your burb?..

honestly its a legit option and i have given it some thought.(havent figured out a fair/honest price yet) the engine has ~70k on the rebuild (.020 bore n balance with mahle 17:1 cast pistons) LML HG and HB. mains and deck checked and in spec/virgin when the machine was done..

im torn between selling it of putting the engine/tranny in one of these two..
580905_10200750122368986_262083265_n.jpg

302049_2352515885895_2642281_n.jpg

The station wagon would be a cool conversion.

the both have a BBC in them... wagon has a T56 in it and 8.8 axle in the the back..

the both would be cool honestly..

could really use money to pay down bills as well..

pulling a number off the top of my head if someone was doing a repower that truck would be worth honest 7-9,000.00 and be really easy to swap into another GMT400 C/K platfrom truck/suburban

Thanks goose
Figure I'd just get the original thread open back up..
~3 years later...
Learned alot with this build/repower.. Good, bad, and holy **** didn't think that would work..
With my LMM is already over 300,000 miles I. Would easily have 400k by Christmas this year on it.. Fwiw I did ~92,000. Miles in 39-40 weeks last year.

Some legislation passed pertaining to CMV, stating anything newer then 2000 needs to have electronic logs, By 2018.
So plan.. Ideally
Rust free 99 older C3500HD.
Possible 97 older doesn't require to have working ABS. (DOT violation)
Repower will be LBZ/6 speed Allison
International ran 1000 series in their 4200 with driveline/parking brake. That will be swapped over the the 455 chassis. Since OEM parking brake is tailshaft mounted, and hub brakes generally suck.. Also working parking brake is a DOT requirement
2wd 4500/5500 kodiaks have tailshaft mounted parking brakes at least 06 variants, got VIN and trans SN numbers off each
Allison will be built (gmax 6 variant) low stall tripple disc TC
Engine will be keyed, aftermarket pistons, possible rods, VVT removed, studed, basically identical to what is in my LMM though with a higher CR of 19:1
On the fence with ovals/round bowls
I have yet to get same loaded MPG as round with ovals. Granted finger designed them with strength being #1, efficiency was bottom of the list.. I honestly don't fault him for that, he has designed a superb product. MPG usually Isn't consider when building a 800+ truck lol

Need something better then stock, with stock like MPG.
Talking 1-2mpg drop from round to oval. Over 100,000 miles from 12 to 10 at 2.50 diesel that's ~$4100.00 increase in fuel cost.. That's ~20k over 500,000 miles.

I have an 06 LBZ donor truck which which I'm hoping to pull alot of electronics of to swap over.

The GM-455 plateform runs a D80 in the back with a 10*7.25 bolt pattern.. likely swap out for newer S110/130 with a 10*225/285mm bolt pattern and have new adapters made for the front. This Allow me to run aluminum rims.

Also will be building a 3 link air ride on the back as well. :D

Been floating Craigslist list
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/cto/5553035165.html
99 454/manual. 130" wb 15X something
https://muncie.craigslist.org/cto/5550720715.html
97 6.5td/auto rolling chassis 159" mileage ???
https://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5543470859.html
2002 8.1/manual 159" 135k miles
https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/5506144510.html
97 454/manual 180" wb

Dam choices jump on one or sit and wait..

Would the longer wheelbase be beneficial enough to make up for the added weight? Was always under the impression that a longer wheelbase made things feel more "stable".

There's pro/cons for everything.. There's things I like about.both and trade off as well.
Ride quality and maneuverability, empty weight are the three biggest trade offs... To wheelbases

ABS is a bad thing?

The way the ABS in the 90s works and 2000 newer don't talk the same.. PCM on the 90s controls everything vs 2000 newer have ecm, BCM control the abs modules.. for simplicity reasons be similar not to have it on the truck... If it is on ibhave to rig something up to satisfy the DOT officer so the light comes on and goes off.. Aka basic systems check. When you cycle the key.

Short reason less stuff DOT can tell at be about

I know this has been beat to death but what about running a 12valve. Small set of towing twins at about 350hp swapped into whatever truck. My work truck is going on 400k and is still running great with no problems, good fuel economy. My next truck will be a superduty 12v, best of both worlds.

I know this has been beat to death but what about running a 12valve. Small set of towing twins at about 350hp swapped into whatever truck. My work truck is going on 400k and is still running great with no problems, good fuel economy. My next truck will be a superduty 12v, best of both worlds.

I've dyno'd 400rwhp current setup. And i have 90% of stuff sitting on for a Dmax repower.
Nothing against the 12V, I just don't know the platform as well as a Dmax

Gotta use what works for you, even with your string of bad luck last yr, you still probably put on more miles of real work than most modified trucks before breakages. What you've done has given me more respect for the duramax platform. I'm still just too afraid of the price of common rail injectors to upgrade to either a CR Cummins or duramax.
My 24v probably has a very similar power level to you're truck, but it definitely wouldn't take what you're doing. It'd be melted down in a month for sure. With that said, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than I could make my truck much more efficient. Just comparing current setup, not hypothetical perfect setup.

Last edited:
How does DOT test to make sure ABS works?

When you initially turn your ignition key to the run position.. All the computers to a "self check" the ABS and parking brake lights come on the go off about 2 seconds later. If they don't come on or stay on.. You failed the DOT inspection

When you initially turn your ignition key to the run position.. All the computers to a "self check" the ABS and parking brake lights come on the go off about 2 seconds later. If they don't come on or stay on.. You failed the DOT inspection

Oh, so you can't even just take the bulb out LOL

Got on a couple hotshot group on FB.. quite few guys running mechanical 6c8.3cummins in fl60/70 chassis doing pretty good mpg and trucks are 3-4k heavier

Thats a platform i know little about.. anyone care lay out pro/consand performance stuff for the mechanical and electrical versions and when the split was?

Back