A/W intercooler questions

Right, you can only run so much water through the intercooler. That is why some use two intercoolers. And yes when you cool the air you are moving more heat to the water, but if you have more water it will heat the water in the tank up slower.

If you have a pot full of water on a burner vs a 5 gallon pail on the same burner, the pot will boil quicker. Same idea here, if your water tank holds 5 gallons vs 10 gallons, the 10 gallon tank will be colder at the end of the run. More water to heat up.

The reason some use two intercoolers is because if they used one of that kind it would do a worse job that a spearco a2a. So they have to run two to get the air cold enough. I would think it would be easier and use less space to buy one that does the job instead of hooking two that dont together.

From What I have seen the pvc return bar does not work Well. I pulled mine off and I melted more ice and intake air temp dropped.

from phone

I was worried if I just dumped two returns all it would do is have two holes through the ice? Am I thinking wrong or will the ice in the water already be transferring heat?

return would ideally be near the top at one end, and the pick-up on the bottom 3/4 to the other side of the tank in a sump.

I orginally came to this thread to find out if anyone had numbers on exhaust temperature. Like I said before I wasn't to make the intercooler in my 855 a ice cooler. But mainly to help cool exhaust temps. Anyone know what kind of drop in EGTs I can see.

As a rule of thumb, everydegree of inlet temp you can drop will drop the exhaust the same amount. So figure that engine coolant temp on the return side is as cool as the intake charge will ever get. Using another rad I would think at least 100*f drop would be more than realistic maybe more....

I was thinking a true ice intercooler. I can plumb it up easy enough, and I have a spare 60 gallon oil tank hanging off the side that I can use as my tank. I'm not in any danger if melting things down, yet, but the old 855 are prone to pretty easily.

Is it possible to reach the point where you are moving the water too fast to transfer the heat efficiently...or are we always going to be fighting to get more flow and more efficiency

It has been proven on the dyno many of times that too cold can lose hp. I know of one good source who did back to back runs and saw a big loss by dropping water temps by 10*. There is a sweet spot & it is much higher than most would think, but a lot of factors come into the equation.

It has been proven on the dyno many of times that too cold can lose hp. I know of one good source who did back to back runs and saw a big loss by dropping water temps by 10*. There is a sweet spot & it is much higher than most would think, but a lot of factors come into the equation.

I would be curious about that. I know of competitive engines that only start the engine to get the oil warmed up. If they didn't need to warm the oil they would prefer the engine to be cold as it makes more HP when it is cold.

What kind of dyno? Are you sure the computer wasn't pulling power back because of temps that it saw?

I was thinking a true ice intercooler. I can plumb it up easy enough, and I have a spare 60 gallon oil tank hanging off the side that I can use as my tank. I'm not in any danger if melting things down, yet, but the old 855 are prone to pretty easily.

Then yes for compitition purposes you will see larger gains with the ice water and a seperate pump feedi g the ic.

Even if that is true...

Might be worth it if it lets you keep a big charger alive at the end of the track

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Even if that is true...

Might be worth it if it lets you keep a big charger alive at the end of the track

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

While I don't think there is such thing as too cold ... if there was I would take a slight power loss over snuffing any time

Back