A/W intercooler questions

We are running 2 of the frozen boost welded together and 2 of the largest sump type bilge pumps we can get. On the dyno we were seeing 55 degree inlet air temp. Saturday we melted 120 pounds of ice in one run. Works excellent.

Do you log pre cooler temps?

from phone

They are the type 22 intercooles. Do not log pre cooler temps but i can gaurantee they are in the 450-500 degree range. The heat that was radiating off the intercooler pipes at the dyno was pretty nuts. We are using 1 inch sprayer hose to feed water to the intercoolers. We were getting 25-30 gpm out of each of the pumps after installing the intercooler so we are moving very close to a gallon of water a second since we have 2 pumps.

Are any of these flow numbers for real? Just because a pump says it will do 3 or 4xxx GPH doesn't mean you are truly moving that much fluid. The question is at what pressure. Or better yet how much restriction. As an example, I will use in for from the post above. 25-30 GPM thru a 1 inch hose. This means your filling an ice cream pail in 2 seconds? And if that is the case, how much efficient heat transfer is really happening?

Are any of these flow numbers for real? Just because a pump says it will do 3 or 4xxx GPH doesn't mean you are truly moving that much fluid. The question is at what pressure. Or better yet how much restriction. As an example, I will use in for from the post above. 25-30 GPM thru a 1 inch hose. This means your filling an ice cream pail in 2 seconds? And if that is the case, how much efficient heat transfer is really happening?

Well temps will tell how efficient your heat transfer is. If you are melting 50-80 lbs of ice and keeping temps under 70-90* on a hot summer day you are flowing enough water.

from phone

It depends on what pump you are using. All centrifugal pumps have their flow reduced by backpressure. In the case of the Rule bilge pumps their flow drops from the rated flow to nearly no flow at all with only a few psi of back pressure and a couple feet of rise. Some other centrifugal pumps will still move a substantial amount of water with 20 psi of back pressure. Heat transfer is affected by both flow and the change in temperature from the inlet to the outlet of the I.C. Low flow will cause a high change in temperature between the two which isn't ideal when trying to cool something as much and fast as possible. You are better off with high flow and a small change in water temperature from the inlet to the outlet in this application.

Yes flow numbers are for real. Like I stated we tested the pump flow through the intercooler. Free flow on each of those pumps was 65 gallons per minute each. So after running it through the intercooler we lost about half the flow. Take it for what its worth. I don't claim to be the smartest guy but our setup flat out works. Just my .02 cents though....

Is it possible to reach the point where you are moving the water too fast to transfer the heat efficiently...or are we always going to be fighting to get more flow and more efficiency

Is it possible to reach the point where you are moving the water too fast to transfer the heat efficiently?

No.

There will be a point of diminishing returns, but there is no such thing as "too fast"....that's an old wives' tale. We have some stuff at work that pushes water to some extreme speeds in order to achieve what some folks call "supercooling," but that is more of a shop floor nickname. A few guys on here understand the physics of it.

The more water flow the better. As long as your keeping the cooler core ice cold the cooler will do It's job. It has no choice even if your flowing a million gallons a min.
You will hit a point Where more water flow isn't needed for a particular cooler and pre cooler intake temp But it surely won't hurt.

from phone

If your system holds 5 gallons of water to cover the pump intake and fill the cooler and hoses is it benificial to run more water so that it will have more time in the ice? Because with 5 gallons of water it will make more trips through the system than it would with 10 gallons of water.

I trying to understand why guys need jumbo beer coolers with 120lbs of ice for 1000-1200hp.

Ive seen the intercooler system used by a mod truck, the core is large, but only requires 40lbs of ice and few gallons of water to keep up with 2000+hp.

For a simple equation, the air entering the core is a steady 400 degrees exits a steady 80, and you flow 60GPM of 32 degree water, the water temperature is going to have to raise to X degrees to maintain that equation.

Now, if you are limited to half the flow, only 30GPM, and you still achieve the same 400 inlet, 80 outlet temps, Would temperature of the water exiting the core be doubled as its carrying a greater amount of energy at a slower rate?

What I am trying to figure out is how the equation works out that if I can flow a larger volume through the core, would I be able to get away with less ice because the temperature of the water returning to the reservoir would be lower, and not melt the ice as fast.

This stuff makes me want to go back to school, or start reading text books.

I would say more capacity is better. I run 15 gallons of water and 8 bags of ice. The water only has a couple of ice cubes left after a pass.

I would say more capacity is better. I run 15 gallons of water and 8 bags of ice. The water only has a couple of ice cubes left after a pass.

I have been thinking about running more water just to see if temps change. Right now I run just enough to submerge the pumps.

My cooler box can hold like 28 gallons if needed so I can try some different stuff.

from phone

Are you guys turning the water on after the turbos lit or prior to bringing the RPMs up? And is it better to run a submersible bilge pump or sump?

I turn ic #1 pump on when I'm in the hole and ic #2 pump on just before I tension the chain.

Troy may have to play with ice/water level when on the dyno. If you can wait I will give the info I gathered

I trying to understand why guys need jumbo beer coolers with 120lbs of ice for 1000-1200hp.

Ive seen the intercooler system used by a mod truck, the core is large, but only requires 40lbs of ice and few gallons of water to keep up with 2000+hp.

QUOTE]

I think all you're missing here is that Mod trucks run as much water as they do diesel, I could be wrong though. 2.6" trucks = no water injection

I think all you're missing here is that Mod trucks run as much water as they do diesel, I could be wrong though. 2.6" trucks = no water injection

I didn't think of that, are they injecting water pre-turbo on those engines? I know that triple turbos putting out close to 100psi is going to create alot of heat.

Back