Aftermarket Turbos...

DCSpecial

Mr. Sinister
Alright, I'm thinking about going to an aftermarket turbo for my 7.3. I currently have a 6 Position chip, intake, and 5" straight pipe exhaust. I may add a fuel system and HPOP setup as well....but most likely will stick with stock injectors. If I do decide to do injectors it won't be anything larger than stage II's.
I've looked into the Garrett GTP38R (I think that's the number...the Ball Bearing one), the Hypermax H2E, the BDP turbo, and the WOP Quickspool.

I like the quickspooling of the BB...but it's not rebuildable...and I wonder how loud it'd be cruising at 80-90mph??

H2E is nice...give me room to grow with more fuel.....but, I worry about the amount of lag with stock injectors?

Not real familiar with the BDP and WOP turbos......I know a buddy of mine had the BDP and liked it...but he was running stage I's and the Stealth pumps.. He's since gotten rid of it to go to a much larger turbo from BDP from what I understand...

Curious if any of you guys have any of the above listed turbos and if so, how do you like them??

Also, with my current and possible future setup.....which do you think would be the best turbo to get??

Thanks.

I don't have either but I talked to a guy who has the BB. He said it was the 'loudest dang turbo on earth' he says on a long trip he has to wear ear plugs to fight the whistle. I like some whistle, but that's rediculous.

I've decided on the H2E, it's rebuildable, it can be modded to flow more if you move up to bigger injectors, you can change housings on it.

It just seems like the best overall and most versatile system for our trucks.:rockwoot:

Dude...You have one of the BEST trucks bar none...All that stuff would be awesome on there and would certainly get a lot of attention :ylsuper:

if u get a ball bearing turbo, make sure the balls are ceramic coated...makes a big difference with heat transfer and bearing life.

GREGROB,
Yeah, I've heard a BB on the street and run on a dyno....they whistle loud. My truck is already sort of loud with the 5" straight pipe...don't want it to get annoyingly loud with the BB.

I like the H2E for the same reasons you do.
The WOP is supposed to spool quicker....not sure how it compares on airflow.
The BDP flows more cfm than the H2E from what my buddy who ran the BDP turbo told him....not sure how it compares on spoolup.

BIGRPOWR,
I heard both the H2E and Ball Bearing on trucks on the dyno.....nothing whistles like a BB on a 7.3....

Bear Hunter,
Thanks for the compliment......all those goodies would certainly make my truck move out even quicker than it does right now.....:evil
Nice sig.... LOL LOL

Dom,
Interesting....thanks for the info.

Anyone else have any experience or opinions about the various aftermarket turbos for the PSD??

I would go with the High Tech Turbo HTPS. It spools as quick as the Garret BB but is completely rebuildable. One of the best turbos out there IMO.

Dan I think you should go for it! Just think...Rich has the lowered Beast and you would have the lifted Beast.

i went to an interesting event called LMS (lift maintenance seminar) which delt with alot of issues such as common misconceptions of things such as bearing failures, fastener failures....very interesting.

for example...can anyone tell me the two leading reasons for a bearing failure?

TwiztedMetal said:
i went to an interesting event called LMS (lift maintenance seminar) which delt with alot of issues such as common misconceptions of things such as bearing failures, fastener failures....very interesting.

for example...can anyone tell me the two leading reasons for a bearing failure?

heat and/or lack of lubrication?

DPDIESEL said:
I would go with the High Tech Turbo HTPS. It spools as quick as the Garret BB but is completely rebuildable. One of the best turbos out there IMO.

that is contrary to what has been posted by people who have tried both...everything I have read has the High tech turbo being a slower spooler than the stock turbo. It will make similar power to a BB turbo though.

Even on HTT's own web page they say it spools slower than a GTP-38r.

Hammer

GREGROB said:
I don't have either but I talked to a guy who has the BB. He said it was the 'loudest dang turbo on earth' he says on a long trip he has to wear ear plugs to fight the whistle. I like some whistle, but that's rediculous.
It's not THAT loud. the wistle is definately noticable though but I'm almost immune to it already.

Hammer

TwiztedMetal said:
Lack of Lubrication, and over lubrication!

www.timken.com

Yeah...many people don't realize over lubricating can bust through seals causing lubricant contamination or cause retention of unwanted heat.

Hammer

TheHammer69 said:
that is contrary to what has been posted by people who have tried both...everything I have read has the High tech turbo being a slower spooler than the stock turbo. It will make similar power to a BB turbo though.

Even on HTT's own web page they say it spools slower than a GTP-38r.

Hammer

We have installed and tried both and under the same fueling there is virtually no difference in the spool time. The BB may spool .001 seconds faster than the HTPS but that is not worth the cost to have it fixed down the road if it can be rebuilt at all.

contamination due to overlubrication is a biggie! people dont realize that overlube is just as, if not more dangerous than underlube. as we all well know the transfer of heat and lubrication propertys are why we oil bathe our bearings in our turbochargers....

DPDIESEL said:
We have installed and tried both and under the same fueling there is virtually no difference in the spool time. The BB may spool .001 seconds faster than the HTPS but that is not worth the cost to have it fixed down the road if it can be rebuilt at all.

I apoligize for the rest of the post that is about to follow. Anybody who knows me from the other 7.3 forums know how I like to lay it out.

So...i notice you are a sponsor. So, i make the assumption that you sell the high tech turbo. The reason i say this, is because you have basically repeated what others sellers claim about the HTT. What I have seen, specifically over at TDS, is end users COMPLAINING about the LAG of the HTT or any of it's renamed identical brothers. Maybe they are all wrong, but it has happened numerous times to make me think that. A few have managed to get refunds and went with the GTP-38R afterwards and come back with smiles. Take that for what it's worth.

Oh, and the GTP-38R can be rebuilt...it just is very expensive to do. And yes i have one...couldn't pass up the deal....$510 with only 500 miles on it. Otherwise I'd probably just saved up for a QSSB or the future Aurora MST.

Hammer

TheHammer69 said:
GREGROB said:
It's not THAT loud. the wistle is definately noticable though but I'm almost immune to it already.

Hammer

Maybe he's a sissy, or doesn't like the whistle ?

TheHammer69 said:
I apoligize for the rest of the post that is about to follow. Anybody who knows me from the other 7.3 forums know how I like to lay it out.

So...i notice you are a sponsor. So, i make the assumption that you sell the high tech turbo. The reason i say this, is because you have basically repeated what others sellers claim about the HTT. What I have seen, specifically over at TDS, is end users COMPLAINING about the LAG of the HTT or any of it's renamed identical brothers. Maybe they are all wrong, but it has happened numerous times to make me think that. A few have managed to get refunds and went with the GTP-38R afterwards and come back with smiles. Take that for what it's worth.

Oh, and the GTP-38R can be rebuilt...it just is very expensive to do. And yes i have one...couldn't pass up the deal....$510 with only 500 miles on it. Otherwise I'd probably just saved up for a QSSB or the future Aurora MST.

Hammer

Hammer,

Yes we do sell the High Tech Turbos but we sell the GTP-38R's also. I am not pushing the HTPS because I sell them as I sell the BB also. It has been our experience that the HTPS is a better all around turbo. Yes the BB can sometimes (very few) but sometimes be rebuilt, then if it can be rebuilt it costs an arm and a leg. Then there is the beginning cost: GTP-38R - $1650 / HTPS - $1250. $510 is a smoking deal and it is a great turbo. Either one is going to be a good choice. If you want to spend the extra cash the Garret is great, lots of people like them. If you are looking for less expensive but still a very nice product I would go with the HTPS.

Back