Ag Gov vs. Automotive Gov

98xtremcummins

Hey I was just wondering what the big differences or advantage or disadvantage of runing a ag gov to an auto gov ????? Most places don't care if we run either way. I heard some place in the street 2.8 classes don't allow ag gov.

the ag gov the rack is hooked directly to a spring and gov's the entire rpm range of the motor where an auto govs just the idle and max rpm

on the track the biggest difference seems to be an auto gov wants to pull down and then come back when a load is applied and an ag gov just keeps climbing rpm.

they also make the cool lope sound depending on how the buffer is set:rockwoot:

yes it is smaller and not as wide. it also has external adjustments for fuel quantity, idle, and buffer on the back.

Most Ag governers are touchy (depending on how the weights are set) you almost always have to run a hand throttle. Rpm, and fuel adjustments are external. More potential for rpms. Any yes losen the weights up and get the big nasty lope that sounds cool

I asked Shieds about it a couple years back and they told me they wouldn't sell me one for a pickup I was going to have on the street.

Funny, I've never seen an RSQ spike to 7K plus rpm comming out of the hole.....

-Tom

I guess I never seen that either, but usually the guys that do run 7k+ won't let a person look under the hood nor tell yea any thing about there engine. I have a buddy that pulls up here and he has shown me the recall at 6100 or so and that out of the hole with the auto gov. and thats a 12mm pump with his own tune. I would think with the right engine mods and the adjustments 7k would not be out of reason. I do understand the ag gov does run alot different then the auto gov.But Hey what do I know. I'm not a diesel race shop nor a engine builder. Thats why I ask a ton of ???????????

yes you can get rpms out of a rqv governer, but all the shimming of springs and things you will get governer spring bounce/runaway during the transition between the springs. I've seen the governer locked out after a certain rpm, to where it just pulls off of the rack then, so there for anything is possible. It is just acheved a lot easier with a rsv governer. As far as streetable well, that depends on the weight/spring setup. I've taken a 3.0 inch pulling truck for a ride down the road it has a big p-pump with a rsv govener, and hand throttle. If the head was wet it would be driven farther. Just saying its possible to street mildly, but not comfortable at all.

ur right there smokngoat some people just are to afraid to play with gov's mine will run 5,700 rpm down the track with a rqv nothn a little 3/8 pipe can't take care ! LOL Tcolesanti needs 2 come play on east coast it sounds 2 me

I would love to see that bada$$ 24valve here in the midwest. Personally I would like to see the inside of that engine. I bet the cam looks like the rocky mountains. That thing is nasty running. Tom thats on of the best running 24valve I've seen

clay is alot different than sand
i hope it is real bad A$$ surly its p-pumped

Back