Air Dog NOT to be used as a stand alone on Powerstrokes

Dalpilot

Joe Nobody!
******************DISCLAIMER*************

This thread is only about the AirDog, I have no idea if this same thing applies to the FASS system!

If you have been following one of the other Threads, you will know I have been having a little issue using my AirDog 150 as a stand alone system There is a good reason why. The AirDog was never meant to be used as a stand alone system on the Powerstroke. Shimming it to make the Pressure you are wanting is not only removing the benefits, but you are killing the pump itself. The Airdog is setup from the factory at 10 or 25 PSI. It is designed to be used with your factory pump. I was under the understanding that you could use it as a stand alone, I was wrong. With my 190's the pressure would drop down to 25 PSI, and scaring the crap out of me. I bought the AirDog to replace the factory unit altogether. I had heard of folks "Shimming" the spring with washers, and getting to 65 PSI. I thought that was just stupid, so I made some inquiries. As it turns out it was.

The good news is Pureflow is about 5 weeks out from having a system that is to be used as a stand alone on the powerstrokes, 6.0 and 7.3's. The current system works great on a common rail that has a lift pump, as that was how it was designed.

Yeah Toby, it was dropping to 45-50, then started getting progressively worse, thats when my fuel pump dropped pressure to 30 on the way home from AL and stayed there. With a good fuel pump it would drop to maybe 40-45, but then come right back up with the boost.

POS red trucks....lol Mine holds steady now with fass and fuel system...

when i bought my air dog like 2 months ago i was under the same impression..a buddy works at a local diesel shop and got it for me at a great deal. He has a dodge and we installed it on his truck and the pump ran right up the injection pump. so i was stoked being it was so cheap and a nice kit for sure...it came with no real instructions for the 6L but whatever. I thought about trying to make it work like a stand alone but i found out as well you cant. I was kind of pissed being that i spent the money on a "helper" pump for the oe lift pump. I wonder if there is gonna be some way to convert 150 pump to be like the new ones so we can run them as a stand alone?!?!

IMO great product but def sucks that it wasn't what i thought it was gonna be...

I have a customer who is using the Raptor as the replacement feed pump with the AirDog suppling the fuel to the Raptor. I was not crazy about doing this but we talked with PureFlow about it and they said that it will work fine as long as he used both pumps.

Jay

The good news is Pureflow is about 5 weeks out from having a system that is to be used as a stand alone on the powerstrokes, 6.0 and 7.3's. The current system works great on a common rail that has a lift pump, as that was how it was designed.

yes they do! and it will be far beyond anything else out there:evil. and your right jay, the raptor can be used to replace the stock pump.

Last edited:
I have a customer who is using the Raptor as the replacement feed pump with the AirDog suppling the fuel to the Raptor. I was not crazy about doing this but we talked with PureFlow about it and they said that it will work fine as long as he used both pumps.

Jay

I use the same set up on my 12 Valve!! Works great.

i believe you mean that the system works great for a common rail that has an 'injection' pump, as the air dog IS the lift pump in those applications.

the lift pump is the pump that transfers fuel from the tank to the injection pump and on the dodges does not need to have high PSI...

if you are talking about something different , then forgive me for sticking my nose in, or was this what you meant ?

yes they do! and it will be far beyond anything else out there:evil. and your right jay, the raptor can be used to replace the stock pump.

yes the raptor is a HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP, but it is not a water/vapor separator also.. wouldn't you want to use the raptor to supply the airdog instead of the airdog supplying the raptor ?? or does it make a difference ?

You are correct, I had it backwards, and no you want the AIrdog feeding the raptor. The Airdog will flow plenty of fuel to the raptor, the raptor then pressurizes it.

Won't be home till Tuesday, so it'll be next week before I can get any results.

my buddy works at xtreme diesel and he told me to get the raptor, i was just checking it out, so you guys are saying that the raptor replaces the OE lift pump on the rail there? if so im about to get that as well.

other way around the airdog feeds the raptor pump

so the layout is:
tank -> airdog -> raptor -> engine

yeah i understand all that...i have the air dog 150 on my truck now, I want to remove the lift pump..so does the raptor replace that on the 6Ls?

yeah i understand all that...i have the air dog 150 on my truck now, I want to remove the lift pump..so does the raptor replace that on the 6Ls?

yes the raptor is the high pressure pump that replaces the factory lift pump (HFCM) you could get the airdog AND the raptor, OR you could just buy the fass and kill both birds with one stone.

yes the raptor is the high pressure pump that replaces the factory lift pump (HFCM) you could get the airdog AND the raptor, OR you could just buy the fass and kill both birds with one stone.

yeah i kinda wished i just went with the fass in the first place..im 22 and i was being cheap as usual. im starting to learn that theres no real way to be cheap with these trucks..or cheap and diesel don't go together!. either way i guess its not a bad idea to put the raptor on there on as well..idk ill see, you think theres any real reason to put the raptor on there?

just a little FYI...i also have talked to Toby at airdog and we discussed how i was planning on setting up my fuel system numerous times using the airdog 150 as a standalone pump, etc. i am running the 150 using 1/2" feed line up to the motor, to a T with the FP sender, then feeding the fronts of the heads with 3/8" line. even with the stage 2s FP only drops from 55 to 52. been running the pump for appx 4-6 months or more with no issues. on factory injectors the FP didnt drop at all.....
IMO when the pump doesnt work like it should is when you have too many splits ie. feeding separate lines to all sides of the head, or trying to get greedy and have the FP higher than spec ic. 70+....

also, you are correct on them coming out with a new pump setup for us specifically to be used as a stand alone, however i was in need of a pump because my stock pump was dipping in the 20 with stock sticks too....do they know now if they are going to use the same basic setup as the 150 to where it can be converted to the same spec as the stand alone or are they totally redesigning it? because it was still in the concept stages when i bought mine...

Back