Air Filter testing....

Was it a k&n, was it cleaned and sealed properly, and was it definitively caused by the oiled filter? If so then you are the first person in the last 13 years of me asking this question on multiple forums (5) to have known someone to lose an engine because of one.
This rationale is like saying cancer never kills anyone. No, it's the chemo, the organ failure, **** where it doesn't belong never actually kills anyone though.

Was it a k&n, was it cleaned and sealed properly, and was it definitively caused by the oiled filter? If so then you are the first person in the last 13 years of me asking this question on multiple forums (5) to have known someone to lose an engine because of one.

I personally witnessed on my own vehicle that the K&N filter (drop-in filter) failed to filter SAND from the sand dunes I went on. Sands was all over the place in the air intake, throttle body, and the intake manifold. I put a lowly Fram filter in, no more new sands coming in. How 'properly cleaned/oiled' K&N filter can make a difference in stopping SAND from passing through? And yes it's installed & "sealed" properly. And again, this link posted already confirmed that K&N sucks. It may flows more but poorly filters and clogs quickly (sh!tty dirt holding capacity). It's not worth it for that, maybe .5 hp gain?

I'll run FRAM air filter over K&N ALL DAY.

Now, I honestly don't think a K&N filter will make an engine to go bad solely due to poor filtration, but it accelerate the engine's overall wear.

Also had a 7.3 dusted from a drop in k&n. My dad used to use them on his 7.3 that was hauling cattle on dusty mountain roads Almost daily. When tore down all intake pipeing was full of dirt. While it doesn't prove that's why the motor went it did let plenty of dirt by.

Last edited:
I think the main issue with Kenny & Norm air filters is inconsistent and generally low quality. Some seem to perform well. The RE-0880 I put on my 2001 back in 2000 was no good! It dusted the intake but luckily I caught it early on before it did measurable harm. When I held it up to the light I could see numerous pinholes throughout the media. Not good.

kickin this thread in the ass but the bhaf I just put on made my egts higher. I hope it don't push the limit when im loaded heavy.

I took the airaid off cuz the rubber ripped at the clamp

wso the bhaf is still a good common filter cuz I think it was less than half the airaid filter

Back