Air shut offs

Got mine at the blast gate company as well. Here are my two different setups. One with a filter for dusty tracks, and one pulling air from the cowl.

Airshutoff.jpg

Pics126.jpg

I have the same type of gate and it pulls mine right to an idle if you hold it at 2000 and pull the pin. It also won't allow the engine to start if its closed, I've forgotten a few times to open it :nail:

Any reason you cant put the shut off right at the intake manifold? Then run some sort of releif valve that opens on the charge air tube to bleed off the pressure from the turbo when the gate closes?

Was this a silly question or does nobody have any input? You could put an actual blow off valve on it, once the gate closes the intake will be full of vacuum and cause the blow off valve to open saving the turbos from destruction. Blow off valve would stay open as long the engine was turning. Once it quits vacuum drops off and the blow off valve closes. Reset the gate and your good to go. What is the main reason for putting the gate at the turbo? :rules: Or am I missing something???

I will try and come up with some pics of some of the kills I have made. The blast gates will not shut on a 600cfm flow bench let alone an engine up on boost. Most tractor pulling organizations will not allow a butterfly style of kill.

Whats wrong with a butterfly style kill? We use them in the oil industry all the time to kill diesels if they run away on natural gas.

I will try and come up with some pics of some of the kills I have made. The blast gates will not shut on a 600cfm flow bench let alone an engine up on boost. Most tractor pulling organizations will not allow a butterfly style of kill.

Are yours the same one EEP sells?

What do you mean it will not shut when its up on boost?

EEP sells some of mine and some of Keating's. I mean that the engine will be moving more air when it is making power under boost. As the door closes it deflects in towards the turbo causing extra drag. I am not sure why some organizations will not allow butterfly kills I would say they do not think that they are reliable.

EEP sells some of mine and some of Keating's. I mean that the engine will be moving more air when it is making power under boost. As the door closes it deflects in towards the turbo causing extra drag. I am not sure why some organizations will not allow butterfly kills I would say they do not think that they are reliable.

I just don't see how a butterfly kill isn't reliable. A butterfly kill and a blowoff valve would save alot of turbo carnage.

I am not sure why some organizations will not allow butterfly kills I would say they do not think that they are reliable.

I'm not sure the science behind it, but I've been told some org's don't allow butterfly cutoffs as the suction from a runaway can overcome the operating mechanism and re-open (or not allow closing to begin with) of the butterfly. Once an air knife closes, the suction will never cause it to re-open as they feel "can" happen with a butterfly cutoff. They are afraid of "worse case scenario".

In order for suction to hold a "free" butterfly closed, it would have to be a perfect balance on each side of the blade and/or more suction on the closing side of the butterfly (like an offset blade/shaft). While there is a force holding/forcing the butterfly closed, it can be overcome with enough suction. I guess they don't want to worry about that, or have to spec and tech a "minimum closing force" (to ensure suction can't overcome the closing force). Is it likely, probably not, but an air knife removes that as a possibilty (and one less tech headache).

Again not sure of the science on it as i've never tested it, but that is what I've been told and makes sense as I've seen a small rototiller engine runaway after the brackets holding the throttle linkage and return springs broke and disconnected from the carburetor (I would think that is the basis for their "worries").

$.02

When installed/spec'd properly it is most likely a "safe" and "reliable" design. The problem is teching it and making sure install, closing force, etc is up to the task. An air knife style makes it easier which can make things (for the orgainization) safer.

Last edited:
I should try and get a pic of the 4" butterfly kill on my 6.7. This kill is designed for runaway applications, mind you I cant see much boost being produced in that type of situation but I cant see it being blown open under high boost either. Throttle bodies on turbocharged cars have no problem closing under boost.

Back