Air shut offs

f98cf6ca.jpg

7dab871a.jpg

e77ba325.jpg

No way these butterflies would fail.

Very similar looking to mine.

I should try and get a pic of the 4" butterfly kill on my 6.7. This kill is designed for runaway applications, mind you I cant see much boost being produced in that type of situation but I cant see it being blown open under high boost either. Throttle bodies on turbocharged cars have no problem closing under boost.

One word.....Perception. And perception is one's reality.
While the pic of the butterfly shutoff posted is offset with what looks like a stout activating mechanism (most likely as effective or better than a standard air knife), most people do not picture it that way.

Also, just because you (or others) buy/install a well built butterfly cutoff, does not mean some "hack" will not "homebrew" one, and we all know how "innovative" truck pullers are. (but it could very well be ineffective/unsafe).

Hook this bad boy up with a cable, lever, and spring (maybe even put some time in to make the flapper a full disc) and you have a butterfly cutoff:

0000000044723.jpg

Technically this would be legal per the rules as there is no specification (and there would be guys that would argue it's legal). Trying to tech it would be nightmare (who wants to write up specs for that). I know this is a piece of tin and an extreme, but I could see guys doing something similar with thicker guage materials, but it would still be hard to judge quality and effectiveness (and ASSuming it was done correctly to begin with).

It's no different than the guys who found "innovations" with their turbos as rules did not specify things could not be done.

For most orgs, perception of what could happen, drove them to their decisions. Not that all would agree, or that it couldn't be done differently, but it makes things easier over all (even if it pisses a small % off).

This goes back the more rules, the better, and actually the cheaper (again safety rules aside). A rulebook could specify airknife or spec'd butterfly cutoff, and it would allow those who already have them to pull, but most pullers don't want more rules or specifications, so it was easier to just say airknife and no butterfly cutoff....

Last edited:
Air Shutoffs

This is the one that I built for my 3.0 truck its a dual control setup

Attachments

• 20130203_170133_resized.jpg
    20130203_170133_resized.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130203_170149_resized.jpg
    20130203_170149_resized.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20130203_170205_resized.jpg
    20130203_170205_resized.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 0
I have one of ED's butterfly style 5" new in the box I would sell cheap if anyones interested

Nice work guy's. We went with a little cleaner look for both the oil & gas industry, but also have a guys using them in competition as well.

pass.jpg

I have the ED butterfly type 5" and the diameter of the opening is smaller than 5" going to 5.5" turbo. Has anyone seen a difference going from this style to the giotine type. I know it's a restriction but how much.

where do you get butterfly style shut offs from i didnt know if it has been stated or not

For air shut offs and velocity stacks? He will do billet aluminum air shutoff and a velocity stack for around 5-7 hundred. That's a ballpark so don't quote me. Pretty much anything you want he will make

from phone

Nice work guy's. We went with a little cleaner look for both the oil & gas industry, but also have a guys using them in competition as well.

View attachment 40847

I know this is older but I thought part or the need for a shut off was in case of run away caused by many things including an electrical issue. So say the truck lost all power, or a small fire burns the wires powering this thing. How do you shut the air off then?

Blast gate would work but I have a 4 inch to the outside of the opening. And they have 4 od. So where can you get a hose the is 4in od to a 4in id?

Back