Airdog Issues

YOUNG GUNS15

Im AWESOME!!!!
Alright, so Lately Ive been having some fueling issues. Just last night i took my truck out to do a few 4x4 launches and i discovered if i hold the rpm at 2800-3000rpm or so the rpm will drop off and pop and sputter and run extreamely rough, then without any change in the throttle it will jump back up in the rpm and run just fine. It did this a few more times and kinda leveled out.

So I decided to investigate, pulled the filters off and they were okay but when I pulled off the alunimum plate the covers the gear rotor I found this

Obviously some debri found its way in and gouged/scraped the plate.. What i want to know if this is enough damage to cause an intermittant fuel supply problem. Any help is apreciated!

i don't know how deep your scores are, but it looks all too normal to me to cause a problem.

It doesnt take much debris to mess up fuel pressure. I went through the same thing the other night. I cleaned it out and replaced the o-ring and the truck is happy again. Id suggest a pre pump filter inline if it continues giving you fits.

i believe the airdog sucks through the 100 micron strainer/ water separator.. anything smaller than that is going to strain the pump more...

Alright, so Lately Ive been having some fueling issues. Just last night i took my truck out to do a few 4x4 launches and i discovered if i hold the rpm at 2800-3000rpm or so the rpm will drop off and pop and sputter and run extreamely rough, then without any change in the throttle it will jump back up in the rpm and run just fine. It did this a few more times and kinda leveled out.

So I decided to investigate, pulled the filters off and they were okay but when I pulled off the alunimum plate the covers the gear rotor I found this
(some pictures)

Obviously some debri found its way in and gouged/scraped the plate.. What i want to know if this is enough damage to cause an intermittant fuel supply problem. Any help is apreciated!

What does the fuel pressure gauge say? That will tell you

i don't know how deep your scores are, but it looks all too normal to me to cause a problem.
2sgn080agree.gif
Looks very minor

i believe the airdog sucks through the 100 micron strainer/ water separator.. anything smaller than that is going to strain the pump more...
Again,
2sgn080agree.gif

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge. I need to buy one ASAP, not sure where to get the reading from though? :eek:

The filter is 2 months old and the water separator is about 8 months old. I was told that I don't need a water separator for a while?? What I'm gathering from the responses is I shouldn't worry about the wear on the plate? And i just need new filters?

As far as how deep they are I'm not sure. It catches my nail a little bit. In my mind it makes sense cause my truck will act really strange at 3600rpm where the rpm bounces around without any change in the throttle. Then I pull this apart and its on the sketchy side of things. I concluded that this was my issue for the symptoms of intermittent fuel supply, I only got really worried last night when it was doing the same thing just 1000rpm lower. Dropping rpm and coming back without any change in throttle and running like absolute crap. It still ran fine and acceleration is normal (at least i think it is)

I'm going to try to take a video of what it does if my rpm gauge decides to cooperate with me tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys! :thankyou2:

It doesn't look bad enough to cause much trouble. What does your FP look like? This is the reason I run a 5micron online fuel filter before the pump. You would be suprised how much crap gets in that thing after a few fill ups.

When you put that on its very important that you do not over tighten that. Also be sure the o-ring is in correctly. If you pinch it, you will have a fuel leak all over. I don't know that there is enough to cause you a problem there. Get a fuel pressure reading first and we will then diagnose some things. Without that reading we may be wasting our time looking here.

x2 get a gauge and go from there. If AD's don't have ports built in, anywhere between the AD and the IP will work. Some cheap fittings from the harwarestore will do just fine.

(2) 1/2" brass hose barb x 1/2" NPT, (1) 1/2" NPT brass T, (1) 1/2"NPT to 1/8" NPT brass bushing

Like said use that between the AD and the IP and go from there, I bet that is where the issue lies. I used that same method to run the pressure gauge on a 24v I just put an AD100 on and it worked great.

Dude get a mechanical gauge, electric are not as reliable IMO plus the mechanical is cheaper for a quality brand even.

I like the fact that no fuel will be coming in the cab with an electric. I know its a cheap gauge but it will look okay and serve its purpose to diagnose what the heck is going on.

Where a dealer for GlowShift. They have good products. But i would put a manual gauge in it for now to check the pressure.

Where a dealer for GlowShift. They have good products. But i would put a manual gauge in it for now to check the pressure.

glowshift gauges are a terrible product and should never be used in a scenario where accurate, consistent, and precise readings are required. Especially when dealing with a $2500 injection system.... And even more especially when the $500 fuel pump is having problems feeding the $2500 injection system in a performance application... $.02

glowshift gauges are a terrible product and should never be used in a scenario where accurate, consistent, and precise readings are required. Especially when dealing with a $2500 injection system.... And even more especially when the $500 fuel pump is having problems feeding the $2500 injection system in a performance application... $.02

I have installed for a while now and run them on my puller. I use to run isspro but they kept failing. Just cause it not a name brand or every tom dick in harry dont use them means there a terrible product.

Now I just need one with a push loc fitting and i would be golden! As for the glowshifts, my friend has a pyro and boost. He had issues with the boost gauge but glowshift warrantied it, 4 months and counting with no issues.

Thank you for the input!

On edit: what is that fitting even called?

Now I just need one with a push loc fitting and i would be golden! As for the glowshifts, my friend has a pyro and boost. He had issues with the boost gauge but glowshift warrantied it, 4 months and counting with no issues.

Thank you for the input!

On edit: what is that fitting even called?

"Fuel Pressure Take Off Fitting" I use one from Russell

It goes between my metric adapter and push-lock fitting

Back