Airdog Issues

OK....I got everything setup and my idle fuel pressure likes to vary depending on the temperature.

Mornings: 40psi
Afternoons:35-33psi
Night: 40-42psi

Under load there is only a 2-3psi drop. It seems to run its best when the pressure is hovering around 42psi. (which is not too often) Most of the time its down around 37 WOT. But other times its up at 40-42 WOT?

Sometimes if I'm lightly lugging it through town in 4th gear I can get it all the way down to 32 without much effort.

I'm going to modify my OFV (again) to try to get more like 50psi out of it. Im starting to think my sputtering issue is just my elevation. 7000ft, at 2300 it seems to run a heck of a lot better. It will turn 3600 with much sputtering, and barely 4k with some sputtering.

after seeing how my autometer's wired up.... and after seeing my buddies glowshift wiring, i would NEVER recommend them to ANYONE.... i mean the fact that you can change the colors is cool, but there is more wire for those gauges then the freakin wiring harness for the cab.... RATS NEST is putting it lightly...

Good crap I got ONE gauge that was cheap so i can finally figure this sh!t out!! Plus a lot of the mess has to do with who is wiring it.

It doesn't even change color....

37172_1609225158749_1479824364_1563077_3009784_n.jpg

on edit: my FPis not 102

unless you're running some garden hose nozzles, there's no need at all for 50psi much less what you've been running. As long as you have positive psi to the CP3/'s you're good. I've been at 750hp for a long time and only run 18psi. If you have just one pump and it's stock, 20 to 22psi is all it needs.

unless you're running some garden hose nozzles, there's no need at all for 50psi much less what you've been running. As long as you have positive psi to the CP3/'s you're good. I've been at 750hp for a long time and only run 18psi. If you have just one pump and it's stock, 20 to 22psi is all it needs.

12v?

my bad... I saw megacab in his sig, didn't notice the '94.

The Mega cab in my signature is sort of an inside joke between me and another member.

Have you ever double checked that the fuel pressure gauge isn't screwed up? On my old 99' with Adrenaline, the sending unit started to go out and it would fluctuate between 18 psi and 0 psi. I checked with a mechanical gauge and it would never drop below 10 psi. I was really confused because when the electric gauge would read 0 psi and I would mash it, pressure would rise to 7-9 psi.

All said and done, I think the sending unit had worn out from constant pulsating from the lift pump and injection pump. The most wear was in the 14-16 psi range so when I was cruising down the highway and fuel pressure was pulled down to 14-16 psi, the electric gauge would read 0 psi. Then I would get on it and pull the pressure below the dead spot in the sending unit and it would register fuel pressure and shoot back up to 7-9 psi.

My electric readings were somewhat erratic with cooler morning fuel vs afternoon or long drive fuel.

Now if your truck is running noticeably different, I would assume there is some fuel pressure fluctuation.

My fuel level gauge has never worked.....I tried fixing it but it only made the light come on 24-7. The only indication im about to run out of fuel is if i accelerate hard and the psi drops to zero and my truck sputters horribly.

Big blue, its a brand new sender and gauge as of a week and a half ago. Cant imagine it wearing out this fast?!

Im thinking I have a fluctuation problem....Before i had the FP gauge in my truck would sit and sputter at 2600 rpm bad once in a long while, then all of a sudden get better and rev to 3500rpm.

Also sometimes when I'm sitting in my truck at a stoplight it will stumble and then catch itself and idle normal. I haven't had the pressure gauge long enough to monitor FP when it starts doing these erratic things.

Thanks for the help guys! I really hope i can get this nailed down and fixed!!!!!

My fuel level gauge has never worked.....I tried fixing it but it only made the light come on 24-7. The only indication im about to run out of fuel is if i accelerate hard and the psi drops to zero and my truck sputters horribly.

Big blue, its a brand new sender and gauge as of a week and a half ago. Cant imagine it wearing out this fast?!

so your truck has run out of fuel(in the tank) since you just installed your gauge? :lolly:

My best luck thus far is with my current fuel pressure gauge. The cheap sunpro gauges don't seem to work well atleast for me. The Sunpro bounced all over the place the current gauge is rock steady. I must say I was using an oil pressure gauge though so not sure if that makes a difference which is very possible.

Just run a mechanical to your pod. I had a Isspro in the same spot for years with the cheap plastic line, never a issue after I bleed it. Remember diesel is a oil, not a volatile solvent. Get a leak, and its smells like diesel. No explosions.

OK....I got everything setup and my idle fuel pressure likes to vary depending on the temperature.

Mornings: 40psi
Afternoons:35-33psi
Night: 40-42psi

Under load there is only a 2-3psi drop. It seems to run its best when the pressure is hovering around 42psi. (which is not too often) Most of the time its down around 37 WOT. But other times its up at 40-42 WOT?

Sometimes if I'm lightly lugging it through town in 4th gear I can get it all the way down to 32 without much effort.

I'm going to modify my OFV (again) to try to get more like 50psi out of it. Im starting to think my sputtering issue is just my elevation. 7000ft, at 2300 it seems to run a heck of a lot better. It will turn 3600 with much sputtering, and barely 4k with some sputtering.
This is why a gauge is handy. Your AirDog is working perfect. 2-3 psi drop is normal. And an AirDog is only made to run up to 40 psi. A different spring set up and an AirDog II will run higher pressures for you if you want. Unless you look at your gauge while its "stumbling" to see what the FP is doing. I'm going safely say it is not your AirDog.

Just run a mechanical to your pod. I had a Isspro in the same spot for years with the cheap plastic line, never a issue after I bleed it. Remember diesel is a oil, not a volatile solvent. Get a leak, and its smells like diesel. No explosions.

times 2, same way I run mine. I was going to go through all the hassle of an isolator and all that b.s. until Brett at TNT suggested otherwise. Been running the nylon line right in the cab for I don't know how long now.

Diesel has a flash point of 140 degrees; basically you need an ignition source to light the volatized vapors being given off when the fuel reaches that temp. Below 140 degrees none of these vapors will be present in sufficient enough quantity to cause any problems.

The only danger is if you get in an accident the line could sever and leak fuel and if the truck were to be on fire the fuel could get hot enough.

are you sure the valves are not floating at 3600 rpm?

what? who are you talking to?? younggun was saying between 28-3000rpms in is original post, which the valves def. should not be floating unless he has 40lb vlave spring and they are seriously f*ked up

I like how a fuel problem thread becomes a discussion on guages. LOL

I'm thinking timing, or a barrel issue.

Back