Allison swap questions.

Is the MD deep oil pan worth doing on the Allison?

Or is the factory pan plenty good? Just thought the extra oil might be a good idea since it will be seeing more stress with lack of defueling.

Thanks

I have noticed that the stock medium duty pans run a bit warmer unless u have a pretty efficient cooler setup
Now the aftermarket aluminum ones will net cooler oil because they dissipate heat better
Just what I've found over the years is all

Ok. Thanks for the information. I think the MD pan holds 3 quarts more than the GM allison pan. I will be putting in a big cooler for the Allison swap. I am all for cooling capacity.

I would suggest putting a sensor in the hose going into the cooler. That will give you the most accurate tranny temp. By the time the oil in the pan gets to where you think you have a problem the tranny's toast.

Yes they have a sensor. Unless you have a way to display data on your conversion you'll have to put another gauge in

I've called Inglewood 3x and left messages with no return. Any other avenues for the snake oiler?

Not that I know of, unless you find a used one. Did you call the number on the site? I just called and talked to Mike last week, unless I've got a different number.

I did look at Inglewoods website and see that it's listed as unavailable now, maybe there's something in the kit they can't get. Originally Mike had the lines pulling oil from the main tap on the bell housing, and Evan was changing the kit to pull cold oil from the cooler return. Maybe fab something up similar?

Jason's stand-alone is wired for a high temp lite, never asked him if he could do a gauge off of it
And it comes on at 260 degrees

Last edited:
So for a ford application, 03-10, he has a block and a ford temp sensor to make the ford gauge, if the truck was equipped with a gauge

Not that I know of, unless you find a used one. Did you call the number on the site? I just called and talked to Mike last week, unless I've got a different number.

I did look at Inglewoods website and see that it's listed as unavailable now, maybe there's something in the kit they can't get. Originally Mike had the lines pulling oil from the main tap on the bell housing, and Evan was changing the kit to pull cold oil from the cooler return. Maybe fab something up similar?
Yeah the number on the site. Im sure i could come up with something, do you have any pics of one installed?

So for a ford application, 03-10, he has a block and a ford temp sensor to make the ford gauge, if the truck was equipped with a gauge

I like this aspect to get all my gauges working. But the accuracy is pretty lacking from what I've read

I have another question.... LOL

Yea I know I might be thinking to much about this swap. I do like to look at all my options.

Question. It's my understanding that there is a separate shift schedule for 4low in the TCM. Is this correct? If so, I have another question.

Next question, since I plan to put the speed sensor in the tail housing of the transmission instead of the transfer case, would there be a possibility I could wire in a switch to turn that shift schedule on and off?

I plan to use normal mode shift schedule for one tune, tow haul shift schedule for another tune and if possible 4low shift schedule for another tune. That would give me the option of have three tunes. A good highway tune, a good tow tune, and an all out tune. Would it work?

In GMs shift strategy can you use tow haul the same time your in 4low? If so, is there a separate shift schedule for T/H and 4low when run together?

Looks like have more than just one question.. LOL

Thanks for putting up.with me!!

Looks like it could be an option, there's 4 shift schedules. screen shot of the 3-4 shift on a stock 6 speed file

Attachments

• Screenshot (208).png
    Screenshot (208).png
    520.1 KB · Views: 0
Looks like it could be an option, there's 4 shift schedules. screen shot of the 3-4 shift on a stock 6 speed file

Nice!!! Thank you for that screen shot! I am 100% sure now I can I have three shift schedules to work with. All I need is a switch to make the TCM think the transfer case is in 4 low.

Now I am.wondering how I can simulate a "hot transmission" so I could have 4 shift schedules to work with.

I have another question. I have looked online and can not find anything on the subject.

What gauge wire is used for the TCM harness? The pins I can get will do from 18-20 or 20-22 gauge wire. What should I use? I like the thought of the 18 gauge wire. But in this case will it mess up communication if I go to big?

Thanks

David

Back