Any expected PPL rule changes for 2017

How could they even word that? Will they have to have given spec for wheel play? Sounds impossible to Tech

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IMO its already worded correctly, if the bore moves allowing air to bypass the 3.0 inlet then that charger is already illegal. The rule clearly states all air must enter through the 3.0" intake opening and the wheel must protrude into that bore 1/8".

Last edited:
I don't think the Hamilton blocks was the new big thing. But a very affordable option for the guys to keep motors together while not going deck plate.

I don't think the Hamilton blocks was the new big thing. But a very affordable option for the guys to keep motors together while not going deck plate.

Exactly. Some can't see the forest for the trees.

Dang it. I have a brand new $500 oem style chinkanese 12V block here that's illegal for that class now. :rolleyes:

Haisley machine had nothing to do with it but think about it for a minute in a factory block you can only make the bore so big, with that block you can go pretty big so what's the difference between that and a billet aluminum block, maybe the person pushing for that rule has a finger on a lot of the aluminum blocks, if you weren't at the meeting you wouldn't know who all was there now would you.

In reality, im sure if you kept your mouth shut you could run one of those Hamilton blocks. Never seen one in person but from the pics it looks like its nearly identical to a stock cummins block from the outside

Haisley machine had nothing to do with it but think about it for a minute in a factory block you can only make the bore so big, with that block you can go pretty big so what's the difference between that and a billet aluminum block, maybe the person pushing for that rule has a finger on a lot of the aluminum blocks, if you weren't at the meeting you wouldn't know who all was there now would you.

You could go just as big of bore on a stock block as you can a solid block. It just takes money and ingenuity. Heck, the imports have had the idea nailed down for years.

The point of the Hamilton block was reducing hp/dollar. Mears refuses to wrap his head around the fact that aftermarket blocks can lower the cost of pulling at the end of the day.

It would be pretty simple to write the rules to keep things sensible.

In reality, im sure if you kept your mouth shut you could run one of those Hamilton blocks. Never seen one in person but from the pics it looks like its nearly identical to a stock cummins block from the outside

We'll see:Cheer:

You could go just as big of bore on a stock block as you can a solid block. It just takes money and ingenuity. Heck, the imports have had the idea nailed down for years.

The point of the Hamilton block was reducing hp/dollar. Mears refuses to wrap his head around the fact that aftermarket blocks can lower the cost of pulling at the end of the day.

why would the main class sponsors want to remove money out of their pockets? the issue isnt within the org as much as those who influence the org. numbers are currently solid enough to continue selling the classes. until that changes, the direction things have been going, will sadly continue to do so.

why would the main class sponsors want to remove money out of their pockets? the issue isnt within the org as much as those who influence the org. numbers are currently solid enough to continue selling the classes. until that changes, the direction things have been going, will sadly continue to do so.

I agree that that is probably the root cause.

On the other hand, a close friend of mine that runs a alcohol super stock tractor has spent quite a bit of time talking with Mears about aftermarket blocks. Mears is 99% against it in all classes without giving much of a reason why.

I think the only reason the pro's have it is because they were lifting blocks left and right.

Not until things are blowing apart left and right will they consider the issue.

I've said for years that a organization will cease to exist when something comes apart, all required safety equipment is in place, someone (most likely spectator) gets killed by shrapnel, and the right lawyer gets on it and says "this is not a new problem, your rules prohibit your competitor from having a engine block capable of containing catastrophic failure."

That's a little off topic, but applies to super stock tractors, semi's, ect not being permitted to run billet steel blocks.

The hamiton block will not reduce hp/dollar. It's just a stock block without coolant passages. A few small changes could have reduced/hp but not with what he is currently offereing.

I agree that that is probably the root cause.

On the other hand, a close friend of mine that runs a alcohol super stock tractor has spent quite a bit of time talking with Mears about aftermarket blocks. Mears is 99% against it in all classes without giving much of a reason why.

I think the only reason the pro's have it is because they were lifting blocks left and right.

Not until things are blowing apart left and right will they consider the issue.

I've said for years that a organization will cease to exist when something comes apart, all required safety equipment is in place, someone (most likely spectator) gets killed by shrapnel, and the right lawyer gets on it and says "this is not a new problem, your rules prohibit your competitor from having a engine block capable of containing catastrophic failure."

That's a little off topic, but applies to super stock tractors, semi's, ect not being permitted to run billet steel blocks.

Steel blocks break crankshafts. Ntpa allows billet steel/aluminum and recast blocks in their superstock classes. Ppl does allow any engine any hood so it's up to you to pick an engine you can keep together.

Back