Any expected PPL rule changes for 2017

Cotpc is making the change from 2.5 map groove to ppl2.6 smooth bore for 2017 season

wow, what are the rules? 1 ton, a/a, hanging weight, solid suspension?

Weight boxes, drawbar hitches, gutted interior, hand throttles, welded in gutted suspension, no rear brakes. A/a. Basically 2.6 3 years ago minus little turbo change but basically same power.

wow, what are the rules? 1 ton, a/a, hanging weight, solid suspension?
I attended the PPL Western Series rules meeting regarding the prior 2.5 class. We pulled with them a few times this season to get our foot in the door with them. Most of the existing trucks in our area run with Northwest Missouri Tractor Pullers Association or Mid Missouri. It was decided to go with a smooth bore charger to make ease for teching and 2.6 was the decided size to go with. This SHOULD put us at or slightly above where we all were for power with our 2.5 chargers. As far as other rules, what was discussed at meeting was A/A, 1 ton or smaller rear's, Weight Boxes, Hyd steering, Hood Stacks, Draw bar hitches, 172 max wheelbase, 35x12.5 max tire size, single tire. All these are things that have previously been in our rulebook with NWMTPA.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Weight boxes, drawbar hitches, gutted interior, hand throttles, welded in gutted suspension, no rear brakes. A/a. Basically 2.6 3 years ago minus little turbo change but basically same power.
Who are you sourcing from on the gutted interior an welded in suspension?

I attended the PPL Western Series rules meeting regarding the prior 2.5 class. We pulled with them a few times this season to get our foot in the door with them. Most of the existing trucks in our area run with Northwest Missouri Tractor Pullers Association or Mid Missouri. It was decided to go with a smooth bore charger to make ease for teching and 2.6 was the decided size to go with. This SHOULD put us at or slightly above where we all were for power with our 2.5 chargers. As far as other rules, what was discussed at meeting was A/A, 1 ton or smaller rear's, Weight Boxes, Hyd steering, Hood Stacks, Draw bar hitches, 172 max wheelbase, 35x12.5 max tire size, single tire. All these are things that have previously been in our rulebook with NWMTPA.

Who comes up with these rules? There is no need for hood stacks, draw bar hitches, or "weight boxes" in 2.5, these outlandish/frequent changes are why most people quit pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Who comes up with these rules? There is no need for hood stacks, draw bar hitches, or "weight boxes" in 2.5, these outlandish/frequent changes are why most people quit pulling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the meeting, it was said that the spectator's want to see the smoke coming out the hood and that's where it was left. as far as draw bar hitches, we're all running draw bar "reese style" hitches anyway and for the ones who aren't, they said reese style hitches are a safety hazzard and no need for the risk. As far as weight boxes, what does it really matter? I mean what's the point in "weight bars" over a weight box!

Your 2.5 chargers out there must not make nearly the power of ours out east if this is the case. You added a bunch of might to the trucks but have a turbo rule that makes less power than you can get out of a stock appearing turbo. I'm all for smooth, but not 900crank HP smooth.

Your 2.5 chargers out there must not make nearly the power of ours out east if this is the case. You added a bunch of might to the trucks but have a turbo rule that makes less power than you can get out of a stock appearing turbo. I'm all for smooth, but not 900crank HP smooth.

I agree, 2.6 smooth will pull quite abit of power out of most trucks. I agree with the direction they're going for tech, just wouldn't be surprise when everyone complains they lost 200 hp and want a turbo change next year to 2.8 smooth bore.

you are correct, we will probably pick up a tad bit of power, but it won't be 100-150hp from what the top trucks were already making out here. We had one guy that welded his groove shut to make it a 2.5 Smooth charger and hook a couple times with it just for comparisons and his truck didn't gain or loose really any distance on the track from where he normally was with the slotted 2.5 charger. No, that's not a dyno number I understand but it is still a comparison. You all will definitely be dropping hp out east... how much is still yet to be determined. Another comparison for you all is I went to Beans in 15' and competed against some of the toughest 2.5 trucks in the country and brought home 6th outta I think 30 trucks with a 2.5 before an after map charger.

2.5 Puller Smokin Goat
94' Peterbilt 379
12' Chevy LML Grocery Getter

The 2.5 turbo rules in the area of the western series were wrote so it wouldn't get out of hand like other classes and areas out east. Seems a few are worried what this 2.6 class will do to other classes. The local organizations don't feel the area can support a 3.6 cut tire class but it can support a 2.5/2.6 smooth single tire class along with 2.6/3.0 smooth class.

2.6 smoothbore just make more sense for what is supposed to be a entry level class. If you want to make 1200hp welcome to the 3.0 lpdt class. Give the turbo builders a year and they will squeeze 1000hp out of them anyhow. The problem with the 2.5 class is they are always trying to become the next limited pro stock class instead just being what they are the 2.5 ( the susposive entry level class).

2.6 smoothbore just make more sense for what is supposed to be a entry level class. If you want to make 1200hp welcome to the 3.0 lpdt class. Give the turbo builders a year and they will squeeze 1000hp out of them anyhow. The problem with the 2.5 class is they are always trying to become the next limited pro stock class instead just being what they are the 2.5 ( the susposive entry level class).
Then why the hell did they add hood stacks, weight boxes, draw bars, gutted interiors, trussed chassis all for a truck that makes less HP than a lot of work stock trucks that get DD?

Then why the hell did they add hood stacks, weight boxes, draw bars, gutted interiors, trussed chassis all for a truck that makes less HP than a lot of work stock trucks that get DD?
which of what you listed did COPTC allow?

You will have to ask the class reps, which from what I understand is now Custom Diesel and Undrwr . Nothing is set in stone yet. I know they talked about the hitch, interior, weight box and chassis mods like ppl did. They are going 2.6 smooth. Just because my local org followed suite doesn't mean I agree with it. I wanted the chassis, hitch and interior because these are pulling trucks. Not a 800rwhp turbo along with it. If you can't go to a brush pull and pull in workstock class without getting your @$$ whooped then their is no reason to add the things they did. I agree our 1200+ HP was out of hand and we have people breaking blocks, But 2.75 would have made much more since and keep it near 100-1100 motor. It also would have made much more sense to make the rule for the following year like they transitioned 3.0. With that said I won't be pulling with either org and will be pulling LPS and other orgs that follow 2016 2.5 rules.

Thanks for throwing me in front of the bus pal. Cotpc is allowing weight boxs no hood stacks .still Reese style hitch 44 center rear axle .minimal interior one seat working windows and dash .solid rear suspensions can be welded in. So my thought are we were last hold outs on boxes it was time to add that hood stacks no bed stacks help fans identify classes easier .interiors why sooo many arguments over 2nd matching same size weight thread count seats in right location oh yeah bolted down wow .and yes solid rears bolted or welded nobody taking axles out at pulls also if you weld it and have problems you'll probably bolt it in next time springs on these trucks just taking a ride anyway .oem suspension rules another area that's a headache just my$.02 We have been in contact with other ppl organizations trying for a nationwide set of rules or really close set.

I see the 2.5 class taking a big hit. too many changes made yearly (that were supposed to be locked in for 3 WTH?) by a few people that the majority have to deal with, and too many different sets of rules.I am understanding why trucks have been dropping like flies from pulling the last 5 years...... I will be pulling with orgs that have 2016 rules,moving up to lps, or selling the truck , anybody want a very competitive srw truck ?

Hell I could put my race truck back together from 7 years ago with parts that are still sitting around and
be able to run in the same class!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I see the 2.5 class taking a big hit. too many changes made yearly (that were supposed to be locked in for 3 WTH?) by a few people that the majority have to deal with, and too many different sets of rules.I am understanding why trucks have been dropping like flies from pulling the last 5 years...... I will be pulling with orgs that have 2016 rules,moving up to lps, or selling the truck , anybody want a very competitive srw truck ?
The thing you gotta think of is this move is the closest move we have had on going towards a National rule. Is it a change, obviously but going forward, this shouldn't be going backwards from where we have been. This is a class that PPL plan to have a Sheids, TS, all the big events in the future!

Back