Any expected PPL rule changes for 2017

The way that I read the rule as far as that doghouse goes, it has to be oem. Nothing says you can't unbolt and take it away then put it back in for Pulling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

The way that I read the rule as far as that doghouse goes, it has to be oem. Nothing says you can't unbolt and take it away then put it back in for Pulling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My point may not have been clear within my question. I'm simply asking why is the rule even in there? There is absolutely no performance gain to be had by removing the bed floor, dog house floor, or firewall. Clearly like any other ODL class you can state restrictions for a fabricated firewall. I understand we have the ability to unbolt and reinstall components before pulling but for what reason are they expected to be there at a hook? Perhaps someone from PPL has some input on this? It has already been stated in the most recent BOB class meeting that this will no longer be enforced for the Smooth Bore Class; this opens up so many possibilities for a build.

If you cut all that out of the truck that's almost 300lbs that can be put in the weight box, not like any of the trucks need anymore weight up there since they're already at 8000lbs

So just because we cut out 16 and 11 gauge metal doesn't mean we aren't adding weight back as we reinforce the cab, bed,and firewall. For reference the entire weight gain In my setup was only 43lbs after I added 1 3/4" and 1 1/4" .120 wall 4130 in order to structure the tilt. The savings of 43lbs won't even cover the weight of the extra battery and separate hydraulics and ram that operates my body. My thoughts are to show up and if someone complains then bust out the rule book and pin point every other body/frame specific rule that people are breaking and considered legal. Hopefully Battle of The Bluegrass will set a trend and others will admire.

So just because we cut out 16 and 11 gauge metal doesn't mean we aren't adding weight back as we reinforce the cab, bed,and firewall. For reference the entire weight gain In my setup was only 43lbs after I added 1 3/4" and 1 1/4" .120 wall 4130 in order to structure the tilt. The savings of 43lbs won't even cover the weight of the extra battery and separate hydraulics and ram that operates my body. My thoughts are to show up and if someone complains then bust out the rule book and pin point every other body/frame specific rule that people are breaking and considered legal. Hopefully Battle of The Bluegrass will set a trend and others will admire.

:clap:

What comes out will need to go back in a different way, So I don't agree with it being a weight savings as that's not a valid argument.. I also agree with getting rid of all irrelevant rules. They just cause headaches for no reason.

You can cut the bed floor and cab floor out of a Dodge 2nd Gen and loose over 300# and not add any braces whatsoever back to it. I can post pictures to prove it. For anybody that says it's not a advantage they are lying to everyone. Now if everybody does it then yes not a advantage. These damn people and wanting rules changed every year is why so many people have got out of pulling. You people realize that the 3.0 smooth now is the old 3.0 3 years ago. 2.5 is 2.6 3 years ago. Whining ass crybabys have caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people that were fine just the way the classes were. Where has it got us???? No damn where except alot of people that started this sport ran away because they are tired of the B.S.

Last edited:
You can cut the bed floor and cab floor out of a Dodge 2nd Gen and loose over 300# and not add any braces whatsoever back to it. I can post pictures to prove it. For anybody that says it's not a advantage they are lying to everyone. Now if everybody does it then yes not a advantage. These damn people and wanting rules changed every year is why so many people have got out of pulling. You people realize that the 3.0 smooth now is the old 3.0 3 years ago. 2.5 is 2.6 3 years ago. Whining ass crybabys have caused a lot of trouble for a lot of people that were fine just the way the classes were. Where has it got us???? No damn where except alot of people that started this sport ran away because they are tired of the B.S.

In all honesty good for a second gen dodge with the ability to lose 300 lbs. Theres no argument in the matter. The simple fact is pulling like any sport or Motorsport is about evolution. The performance industry has created products and jobs as a result of our desire to evolve each class. Our ability to change rules should be as effective as the pullers demand. If an organization chooses to lock rules in then so be it. I'm in complete favor of a standard rule for "performance factors" but rules established to limit the concept of what I'm referring to is flat out a joke. If someone doesn't want to keep up with the times and make changes then pulling is not the sport for them.

In all honesty good for a second gen dodge with the ability to lose 300 lbs. Theres no argument in the matter. The simple fact is pulling like any sport or Motorsport is about evolution. The performance industry has created products and jobs as a result of our desire to evolve each class. Our ability to change rules should be as effective as the pullers demand. If an organization chooses to lock rules in then so be it. I'm in complete favor of a standard rule for "performance factors" but rules established to limit the concept of what I'm referring to is flat out a joke. If someone doesn't want to keep up with the times and make changes then pulling is not the sport for them.

Here's the problem I have with what your saying. OK I agree that gutting 3.0 smooth bore trucks make obvious sense now and I'm actually for it.

But heres my reason for blowing up about it. 2.6 was designed to be a entry level class. I don't give a **** about evolution. 2.6 was no ag pumps, no w/a cooler, no deck plate, no aftermarket heads,

3.0 mwe was the class to allow all that why where people allowed to run this stuff in 2.6?? Because people like you showed up with it and the tech guys had no balls to shoot the big name companys down that was running them. Where did it get us... absolutely ****ing nowhere. Why allow ag pumps? Not a advantage if everybody runs one? Same with deck plates, w/a and everythis else I have mentioned above.

Heres something to think about for your. Since ppl is supposed to be the "flagship" can you name me 10 people in the 3.0/2.6 class pulling today that was 5 years ago? Can you do the same for 3.0/3.6. You can't do it, can you explain to me how that's good for the sport?

Last edited:
Here's the problem I have with what your saying. OK I agree that gutting 3.0 smooth bore trucks make obvious sense now and I'm actually for it.

But heres my reason for blowing up about it. 2.6 was designed to be a entry level class. I don't give a **** about evolution. 2.6 was no ag pumps, no w/a cooler, no deck plate, no aftermarket heads,

3.0 mwe was the class to allow all that why where people allowed to run this stuff in 2.6?? Because people like you showed up with it and the tech guys had no balls to shoot the big name companys down that was running them. Where did it get us... absolutely ****ing nowhere. Why allow ag pumps? Not a advantage if everybody runs one? Same with deck plates, w/a and everythis else I have mentioned above.

Heres something to think about for your. Since ppl is supposed to be the "flagship" can you name me 10 people in the 3.0/2.6 class pulling today that was 5 years ago? Can you do the same for 3.0/3.6. You can't do it, can you explain to me how that's good for the sport?

no wonder why you were so short with me lastnight. it was taking you all evening to write this. ahahaha. we all know why costs got driven up. I can only think of 5 3.0/3.6 guys who are still in it as they were 5 years ago. 2.6/3.0 about the same. but most have had their trucks forsale. so that speaks volumes. the rules need to quit changing. there are convenience issues, that's part of this sport along with many others.

Apparently everyone has chosen to expand this topic beyond my initial post. Again as I mentioned this is about remedial B/S rules that no longer belong within the class. However, I don't care who started the classes and if they are still in them or not. If someone simply doesn't like how a class evolves then drop back and run a different class.

Apparently everyone has chosen to expand this topic beyond my initial post. Again as I mentioned this is about remedial B/S rules that no longer belong within the class. However, I don't care who started the classes and if they are still in them or not. If someone simply doesn't like how a class evolves then drop back and run a different class.

Changing rules every year to suite a hand full of people is not evolution. Like I've said before I'm actually for gutted trucks in 3.0 smooth (because I have one that i cant run right now) But I also know a lot of guys that are not. You know why? Because they don't wan to be stuck with a truck that doesn't fit some other rule in 2017. Maybe your new to the sport and haven't been around very long to see what's happened. I've been around diesel truck pulling for almost a decade now and it's ridiculous what we have had to do every winter just to be able to come back next year. Makes a lot of people sick and the very reason you don't see many people stay in the sport long

If someone simply doesn't like how a class evolves then drop back and run a different class.

If all it takes is moving classes, why not move up a class?

Not all areas have 3-4 classes to choose from on any given night, within associations, or even within the state. Being a member state of PPL, we have hard enough time keeping trucks for multiple years in one class to make a good show. We hope that ppl keeps the perception of the class at an affordable level to draw more competitors into the sport.

I need to read the rules again on this tilt body discussion. I am sure it says no tilt bodies, since this keeps coming up?

Changing rules every year to suite a hand full of people is not evolution. Like I've said before I'm actually for gutted trucks in 3.0 smooth (because I have one that i cant run right now) But I also know a lot of guys that are not. You know why? Because they don't wan to be stuck with a truck that doesn't fit some other rule in 2017. Maybe your new to the sport and haven't been around very long to see what's happened. I've been around diesel truck pulling for almost a decade now and it's ridiculous what we have had to do every winter just to be able to come back next year. Makes a lot of people sick and the very reason you don't see many people stay in the sport long

Rules are changed to accommodate the power from the upgraded fuel and air from year to year not necessarially because someone "wants " to add new exceptions.. This hints why open drivelines, deckplated motors, billet parts and overall expenses goes up year to year just to continue competing. I don't know about you but open deivelines are the most affordable option to ever happen to the diesel truck world considering they're basically a one time purchase. I've been in the seat of A profarm/limited pro tractor for over 14 years and pulled 2.6/3.0 for the past 6 years so I'd rather not hear talk about changes and not understanding what it takes year to year because we've had to do it to stay in a winners circle. Now I'm going to jump off this thread because clearly no one can grasp the fact of what I'm "actually" arguing.

Rules are changed to accommodate the power from the upgraded fuel and air from year to year not necessarially because someone "wants " to add new exceptions.. This hints why open drivelines, deckplated motors, billet parts and overall expenses goes up year to year just to continue competing. I don't know about you but open deivelines are the most affordable option to ever happen to the diesel truck world considering they're basically a one time purchase. I've been in the seat of A profarm/limited pro tractor for over 14 years and pulled 2.6/3.0 for the past 6 years so I'd rather not hear talk about changes and not understanding what it takes year to year because we've had to do it to stay in a winners circle. Now I'm going to jump off this thread because clearly no one can grasp the fact of what I'm "actually" arguing.

What your actually arguing is that you want to do what ever it is you want and everyone should be ok with it. Which is bullchit and is why these classes have gotten out of hand. There was no need for deckplate engines till some one came up with the cheating front facing map groove which still boggles my mind how it is considered a map groove but some ran them and then deemed legal. People need to stop looking at as what's best for me and start looking at what's best at making the classes grow. There is a distinct advantage to gutted trucks over full bodied. I went 8 years with a hole in my floor board so I could lays in the cab and change gears instead of laying on the ground. Fit the rules in place or GTFO. I can't run smooth 3.0 because mine is completely gutted. I would like to run but I understand why I can't. I don't fit the rules. Regardless of your opinion or wants, it's still the rule. I get sick of the guys that say "well I'm going to do it and they are going to have to let me run".

I've said it a 1000 times. They all want mod trucks in every class with just a turbo change.

What your actually arguing is that you want to do what ever it is you want and everyone should be ok with it. Which is bullchit and is why these classes have gotten out of hand. There was no need for deckplate engines till some one came up with the cheating front facing map groove which still boggles my mind how it is considered a map groove but some ran them and then deemed legal. People need to stop looking at as what's best for me and start looking at what's best at making the classes grow. There is a distinct advantage to gutted trucks over full bodied. I went 8 years with a hole in my floor board so I could lays in the cab and change gears instead of laying on the ground. Fit the rules in place or GTFO. I can't run smooth 3.0 because mine is completely gutted. I would like to run but I understand why I can't. I don't fit the rules. Regardless of your opinion or wants, it's still the rule. I get sick of the guys that say "well I'm going to do it and they are going to have to let me run".

I've said it a 1000 times. They all want mod trucks in every class with just a turbo change.

Flat out you have your opinion and I have mine that's what makes pulling interesting. :stab:

Agreed 100%. Just had are club meeting over the weekend and was plan is and simple this year no one wanted to change a thing. Meeting short and simple

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

So are cut tires in for this year in the 3.6 class? No changes listed in the 2017 rules.

Here is the 2016 PPL changes for 3.6 Pro-Stock Diesel Truck;

Pro-Stock Diesel Trucks

ChangeTurbo- The turbocharger is smooth faced intake housing, limited to a 3.6" inlet, (no map ring) with all air
entering through the 3.6" opening. Intake wheel must protrude 1/8th inch inside of opening.

Tires #13 add – 34-18.00-15. Bar & cut tires permitted. Maximum tire size to be 112 circumference, when inflated to 30psi with original bar, not to exceed 18 inches in width before cutting. Maximum of four tires permitted.​

So the way I read it cut tires are allowed and not required. There was talk of it being a requirement for 2017.

Back