Anyone running a Delta cam regrind?

rebar

I was told I should consider regrinding instead of replacing my cam since it has little damage. I called Delta and Ken said he also offers a RV grind.

Has anyone here run one?
I was told some people have failures when they increase spring rates or forget to add zinc additive. Are there any other issues to consider for a regrind in a 1990 engine?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother regrinding a early cam. The core was a lot smaller, and they were way more prone to chewing lobes off.

You could get a newer cam and regrind, but I'd call Hamilton and slide a brand new big core, wide lobe cam in and call it good.

For your goals, I would just find someone's stock take out. People practically give them away when they go aftermarket. Any cam from 89-02 will work fine.

Stay away from 98.5-02 if you are keeping the mechanical lift pump.

What are you trying to accomplish?

Economy and enough power to tow a 8000# toy-hauler fast.

After reading a few people cursing regrinds, I was pretty set on Zach's 188-208 and tappets for $800. But the regrind suggested to me is only about $150 shipped. Its not worth the savings if it fails though.

ive never had and issue with regrinds. always worked well for me. a 24v vp core would be best to start with. the good ol 180/210 @ .050 with 300/320 lobe on the stock LSA should do what you want. hamiltons stuff is good also. just depends how much a guy wants to spend.

did you read the thread title? apparently not!
I did. Diesel Pro means nothing to me (I don't have any experience with them or their product, so I couldn't say if the Delta regrind is worth anything based on a reference to Diesel Pro).

My comment wasn't a poke at smokem if that's what you're feeling. [rolleyes]

Last edited:
send your cam to delta for the rv regrind. you will be better off putting that money into your 4x4 conversion. get rid of that 60 rear, your gonna need more beef.

last time I talked to ken at delta they wouldn' t do a regrind for me, on a cummins cam as per their agreement with Diesel pros.
Then again I was not asking for an RV cam either.
Good people to deal with I have used them since about 1998.

last time I talked to ken at delta they wouldn' t do a regrind for me, on a cummins cam as per their agreement with Diesel pros.
Then again I was not asking for an RV cam either.
Good people to deal with I have used them since about 1998.

Not sure what changed.

I need to call Ken back and find out more about the RV grind. He said it wasn't designed for economy, but towing.

I wonder how it compares to the Hamilton 188-208 Zach suggested.

Mine came from delta. Couldnt tell you if it's a regrind or not. Nor do I care. Been fine the last few years. Ill know more when I open mine up when it cracks or breaks.

My cam is removed with the gear still on. Can I use a press to remove the gear if I don't have the three jaw puller? Sounds straight forward, except I cant support the gear hub (where the jaws would hook) because the front cam bearing journal is almost bigger than the hub. Or should I use the cam retainer to press it off?

Or could I simply support the gear. Heat it fast with Oxy Acetylene Torch and let it drop out, nicely?

Thanks

bearing split-er or close fitting schedule 40 pipe and shop press is what I use,
!warning! usually makes a big pop when the gear breaks free.
don't use the retainer!

send your cam to delta for the rv regrind. you will be better off putting that money into your 4x4 conversion. get rid of that 60 rear, your gonna need more beef.

So whats wrong with a dana 60 rear axle...?

Back