ATI or Fluidampr

D45

I am installing a new high amp alternator, Gatorback belt, Cummins belt tensioner.....

I figured at 100,000 miles, it might be a good time while everything is apart to install a new dampner

I will not be spinning anything over 3,200

Just for a daily driver and tow rig

Which is better and why.....ATI or Fluidampr?

I've never read anything bad on the fluidampr. I'm running one and really like it.

just remember with aftermarket dampner you have to remove it just to change a belt thats down side.

I'm glad you guys brought it up, cause I was wondering what the hell he was talking about too. Fluidampr by the way.

Every fluidampr I have seen has to be removed to swap belts. We have ran both. Never any problems with fluidampr. The ATI broke in half and took out our oil pan and tranny pan. No help or explanation from ATI. We now run stock 6.7 damper at 5000+rpms.

Another alternative is the 6.7 damper, there are 3 versions but they are all viscous and MUCH better than the OEM 5.9. They are a bit cheaper than the fluidamper, but not quite as effective at upper rpms. You don't have to remove anything to run the 6.7 damper, but it does require a 6.7 fan pulley.

There have been a lot of reports about ticking at idle with the fluidamper lately, ones that disappear when the OEM or 6.7 is installed.

Great question.. Im going to run a marine 5.9 480 viscous damnper on project Mayhem..
I believe the 480 rating is governed at 4200rpm but is factory balanced to 4800...
You wont have to remove the that dampner to replace the belt..

Last edited:
The 480 is rated at 3400 rpms, max allowable engine speed is 3485, governed at 3465.

Back