Axle shafts

I've ran a grizzly locker in the front for years, same with every other 2.6 we've done. Have yet to break an axle or locker.

I have broke both. the detroits are pretty chinsy internally and the griz I blame failure on me, but they stood behind it and then some. I have a griz in my 60... and it does its job when it needs to.. as for axles breaking, idk if any of my axles failure were due to the locker..

I just caught that you said 60, was the breakage up front?

I've ran a grizzly locker in the front for years, same with every other 2.6 we've done. Have yet to break an axle or locker.

Detroit up front, but you probably run a spool and big axles out back correct?

Yes the Grizzly and Detroit lockers work great in the front ends. We install them in a lot of pulling trucks and have had good luck with them. We will not install them in the rears of pulling trucks because they can't handle the torque and shock load. When they break a lot of times it will transfer all the power to one side and break the axle or explode the whole locker.

Your best options for rear is either welded open carrier w/stock axles, or full spool and 300m over sized axles if you can afford it.

Last edited:
Yes the Grizzly and Detroit lockers work great in the front ends. We install them in a lot of pulling trucks and have had good luck with them. We will not install them in the rears of pulling trucks because they can't handle the torque and shock load. When they break a lot of times it will transfer all the power to one side and break the axle or explode the whole locker.

Your best options for rear is either welded open carrier w/stock axles, or full spool and 300m over sized axles if you can afford it.

The conversation started talking about 11.5s So I thought thats where we were at. Then I noticed hammer mentioned a grizz in a 60 :doh:

The conversation started talking about 11.5s So I thought thats where we were at. Then I noticed hammer mentioned a grizz in a 60 :doh:

The OP asked about front lockers also. But as PT stated I wouldn't run or recommend a locker in the rear.

no I broke one of each in a 10.25/10.5. and one in a 11.5. the only one I personally have now is in my d60. with the typical parts 35spl 300m axles...

Last edited:

Dang....anyone want to buy 38 spline Yukon locker for a 11.5"?:banghead:

Dang....anyone want to buy 38 spline Yukon locker for a 11.5"?:banghead:

I'm running one too... I hope it will be fine. At least with the off road stuff I'll be doing the ground is not as hard packed but the loads from jumping and landing will likely be worse than pulling... I guess time will tell...

I'm running one too... I hope it will be fine. At least with the off road stuff I'll be doing the ground is not as hard packed but the loads from jumping and landing will likely be worse than pulling... I guess time will tell...
Will your suspension be blocked solid and will you be chained to a transfer sled?

I think you are underestimating the load a puller puts on the rear end.

Spool in the rear for sure if your pulling 2.6.

I'm building a few hybrid 11.5 aam rear ends for some 2.6 customers with 2 1/16" scs axles, 106 spindles, wide 5 - 8 lug dually hubs and ring gear snubber. I'll post some pic's when I get a chance.

^^^ what he said. Not using Jason's, but im running the same set up. Axles have warranty also

Will your suspension be blocked solid and will you be chained to a transfer sled?

I think you are underestimating the load a puller puts on the rear end.

No, the suspensions will be fully functional and no addition weight being dragged around!!!!

I sure hope I'm underestimating and that I'll be fine!!! The reason I worry is that when you jump through the rough stuff the tires will be airborne then contacting the ground and repeating throughout a race.

I really hope it will be fine, but time will tell!!!

Back