bad 60ft with slicks

thanks guys. I def had too much pressure in em at first, and dropped them every run. finally down to about 14 lbs. I still have kinks to work out but i want to get everything right before i get more air and fuel, Plus i haven't heard of many ppl goin faster than high 13's with what i have

Don't be afraid of dropping them to about 10 psi... They will grab! Wear them down a little more, and they will bite better over time. 8.7's (13.5-13.6) on your mods with your 60' time is moving, and shouldn't be looked past.

10 psi works for some, but it's quite the feeling on the top end to a new racer on slicks. Work down slowly, every car/truck is different.

Ok Here is my experiences with slicks and air. Keep in mind mine are 33/10.5/16 with no tubes. On the 1/8 I have found out I can get away with lower air. In the 1/4, once it locks in high gear it can turn into a controlled crash with lower air. I run about 15-18psi. Track temp plays alot of roll in setup, the colder the track the lower the air. Be very careful with lower air because it will be like a boat when idling through the no wake zone. You will be steering side to side. Also keep in mind the braking aspect. Most times people think of getting traction at launch and make it to the 1/8 or 1/4 mile beams, most times forgetting the slowing down for the turn off.

Story time!!!!

In Tulsa the bracket class there was a truck with a 26sec dial. I got to line up with him and his 1/8 mile was my 1/4 mile times. So as I blew past him I slammed the brakes trying not to break out and when I did the slicks stood up and I almost put it in the wall. I pulled off the track and no lie I was shaking and thought to myself if it was worth it. Stopping can be a hairy deal if no cautious.

Crandall got crazy at times and I am not sure why. I was looking at the wall in my mirror.

So in the end please take it easy dropping air in these tires with such heavy trucks. The awkward weight makes things a little more crazy.

Ok Here is my experiences with slicks and air. Keep in mind mine are 33/10.5/16 with no tubes. On the 1/8 I have found out I can get away with lower air. In the 1/4, once it locks in high gear it can turn into a controlled crash with lower air. I run about 15-18psi. Track temp plays alot of roll in setup, the colder the track the lower the air. Be very careful with lower air because it will be like a boat when idling through the no wake zone. You will be steering side to side. Also keep in mind the braking aspect. Most times people think of getting traction at launch and make it to the 1/8 or 1/4 mile beams, most times forgetting the slowing down for the turn off.

Story time!!!!

In Tulsa the bracket class there was a truck with a 26sec dial. I got to line up with him and his 1/8 mile was my 1/4 mile times. So as I blew past him I slammed the brakes trying not to break out and when I did the slicks stood up and I almost put it in the wall. I pulled off the track and no lie I was shaking and thought to myself if it was worth it. Stopping can be a hairy deal if no cautious.

Crandall got crazy at times and I am not sure why. I was looking at the wall in my mirror.

So in the end please take it easy dropping air in these tires with such heavy trucks. The awkward weight makes things a little more crazy.

Good advice

You both have very valid points. That's one of the many Dangers of Running too low. With that being said 10 psi may work for some while others it may cause their trucks to wonder all over the track. Mine starts to do that around 7 psi, and right around 105 mph it gets really hairy. Just use better judgement and go in small increments.

With 7 pounds my truck would have the wheels on the ground. I made one pass with 9 in launched and got out of it because it didn't feel right at all. seemed like the wheel about banged the ground. Mine being bigger and no tubes can make alot of the difference but it wasn't pretty.

Also with lower pressure the tires might spin on the wheel, could be looking at a future of screws or bead-locks.

With 7 pounds my truck would have the wheels on the ground. I made one pass with 9 in launched and got out of it because it didn't feel right at all. seemed like the wheel about banged the ground. Mine being bigger and no tubes can make alot of the difference but it wasn't pretty.

Also with lower pressure the tires might spin on the wheel, could be looking at a future of screws or bead-locks.

4wd Accessories Australia

I know another member on here that uses them...

those internal beadlocks are ridiculously pricey. I called a shop and he told me they were so expensive, he's never sold a set.

Thanks Heath. I knew about the squirrely part, so when i went, i started at 22ps or so and dropped each pass. i'm prolly not gonna go lower than 13psi. mine are alot smaller so they're prolly not quite as bad(lot less sidewall)

Back