Best turbo for a 2006 Jetta TDI

jetta girl

Do you guys have any suggestions for a turbo upgrade on a 2006 Jetta TDI? I've heard the VNT17 is the best bet, but talking with Piers Diesel, they seem to think it won't bolt on a 2006 TDI. What do you all think?

If it won't bolt up to the exhaust manifold then replace 17's flange with your 15's flange assuming that's your hang up.

If its the air intake then have a muffler shop make a metal reducer to go in between the hose coming off your air box and the new hose going into the turbo.

I bet a turbo is fun on latitudinal Jetta motor vs. a longitudinal Passat motor. On the Passat if you had everything you needed it would be a 2 hr job for a TDI mechanic or 3-4 hours for a DIY and either two floor jacks or a lift are required to reach things from the bottom as well.

Email turbo dynamics in the UK to see if they have a bolt-on for your motor. The turbo they had for my car would only handle 240 hp at the flywheel so we couldn't do business. Their email response is spot on.

Charlie at KermaTDI is currently shipping out massive quantities of new European 17's and 20's as well. If you call tell him I sent you.

A VNT17 will handle 26 psi all day long with 28 psi 1/4 mile or less spikes.

Last edited:
So it sounds like you're saying it's doable, even if a few modifications become necessary. My husband is great at welding and fabrication so, that may come in handy...Looking at the engine last night, it even looks like the dealer would have a hard time seeing if there were any changes, because the turbo is almost completely hidden under everything else. Thanks for the help! But I think this is still going to be a pain in the butt to work on. I've talked with Charlie regarding injectors, he's a pretty nice guy, but as far as the turbo goes, I think I'll get it from Peirs Diesel because they are sponsers for the organization I drag race with. Please let me know if anything else comes to mind that I should know!

:thankyou2:

Why not buy a used 17 since they are a dime a dozen then swap flanges (assuming still the exhaust flange is the issue not a clearance issue or something else)?

Check Germany and Poland eBay.

The thing that worries me about buying a used one, is I don't know how to tell if it's damaged in any way. I drag race my car with the NHRDA, so I can't really afford to be using parts that are in less than perfect condition. Do you have any experience with buying car parts from ebay-overseas? Thank you for all of your input and help!

Losing a used turbo during a NHDRA race is the least of your concerns if it were to go.

Yeah...no kidding! If I didn't have a stick shift, I would be interested in figuring out how to fit twins in there...That would be cool....

jetta girl said:
Yeah...no kidding! If I didn't have a stick shift, I would be interested in figuring out how to fit twins in there...That would be cool....

With a big set of sticks- twins on that sucka -would be AWESOME
LOL LOL :evil :evil ....

Has either of you tried to give these lil diesels a small shot of spray?:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil

RacinDuallie said:
With a big set of sticks- twins on that sucka -would be AWESOME
LOL LOL :evil :evil ....
So when are you going to get off the computer, drive out to Seattle, and line up with me so I can school you? If I can hang on to my second place spot until the end of the season, I'm thinking about going with the ZEX nitrous system for next year...Right now, I'm keeping up with the trucks, but I want the bigger turbo and nitrous to actually be able to keep up with the faster Pro-2 trucks.
:evil

jetta girl said:
So when are you going to get off the computer, drive out to Seattle, and line up with me so I can school you?

:huh:: LOL LOL LOL LOL

I believe the PD TDI's like yours have the compressor housing on the opposite side of a normal VP-37 'ALH' TDI. So, the usual ALH turbo upgrades (VNT-17, VNT-20) will not be a bolt-on process.

The OEM VNT-15 (and the -17) on the ALH's have the turbine housing and exhaust manifold all cast together as one piece. You'll have to start the turbo upgrade process by seeking out some sort of aftermarket exhaust manifold.

How much do you care about that warranty? :)

Matt

Yeah, I care about the warranty, I've already had it in a couple times for warranty work. And after talking to a few people, it sounds like with my car being a stick shift, a bigger turbo would not be such a great idea... it might take to long to spool up again. And just as you said, it sounds like too much of a PITA to really worry about. Seems like my car is a year too new for some of the good mods. What do you think about that school of thought?

I think if you really want to get serious about drag racing a TDI, you either have to ditch the idea of having a warranty or get a dedicated race rig.

The manual tranny is the least of your worries. There are plenty of folks out there that manage to spool very large turbos with manual trannies.

If you want to use an ALH upgraded turbo, your car is actually 3 years too new. The PD TDI's started in '04 with the A4 chassis Jettas/Golfs.

Matt

I've spent hours talking with Opie about that. I think it sounds totally cool, but there isn't a whole lot of room under the hood. I'm sure someone could figure out how to do it...then I'm game. See you at the race!

jetta girl said:
So when are you going to get off the computer, drive out to Seattle, and line up with me so I can school you? If I can hang on to my second place spot until the end of the season, I'm thinking about going with the ZEX nitrous system for next year...Right now, I'm keeping up with the trucks, but I want the bigger turbo and nitrous to actually be able to keep up with the faster Pro-2 trucks.

You have any videos?

My dad has a '02 TDI and it looks like it has enough room for twins. You have to remember that the overall package size is WAY smaller on a TDI then a Cummins. I know from experience that you'll need some help with programming for the VVT though.

juanjo322 said:
You have any videos?
Never mine it's to slow. I'm so glad that we got rid of our Jetta, idiot lights kept coming on for anything stupid, The Mini van the wife has now could probbably wip up on it.:hehe:

Back