Best Upgrade from S480.....

Bosshawg600

PDP.com FireFighter
Ill keep this simple. There is a large possibility that my S480 is bad, which like most people got me thinking.... what can I upgrade it to....

Right now its being fed by a 66/73/.91 t4 and is a 80/96/1.32 t6. Good set up that I really enjoy, but since it needs replaced, is there a good option that can be substituted in its place to improve things like all around power, spool up, cooling ability?? Also, something that is more or less going to "drop In" with minor modifications?

Mods: Stock Long Block, 200% injectors, Dual CP3's (Duramax top, worked over 6.7L bottom) studded/fire ringed, 47re trans w/manual VB.... all that jazz

Was first looking at just replacing the center section, but like most, might as well look into some options!

BTW, the truck is daily driven with a bit of racing every now and then....

May want to figure out if it is bad and what may have caused it first. Aside from that you have to ask yourself if you were happy with the way it drove. If you liked the setup then just get it rebuilt if the wheels are good with a 360 thrust kit, fix whatever may have caused it to fail, and drive on.

May want to figure out if it is bad and what may have caused it first. Aside from that you have to ask yourself if you were happy with the way it drove. If you liked the setup then just get it rebuilt if the wheels are good with a 360 thrust kit, fix whatever may have caused it to fail, and drive on.

But thats no fun, and who likes to leave things alone HAHAHA!

But, Very true, and Im doing that tonight. I thought I would get a little ahead just incase it is bad and want to avoid scrambling to find a reoplacement. Easy fix would be to but a new center section and good to go, but I also want to explore options while its out and much easier!

ED 484 maybe. Jose at forced induction can rebuild and upgrade to a 82 fmw wheel and cover for a good price. Think he quoted me around 500 to upgrade my 475.

But thats no fun, and who likes to leave things alone HAHAHA!

But, Very true, and Im doing that tonight. I thought I would get a little ahead just incase it is bad and want to avoid scrambling to find a reoplacement. Easy fix would be to but a new center section and good to go, but I also want to explore options while its out and much easier!

595 Chief, all the way...lol
What are you Really looking to get out of the change? :nos::nos::nos:
Go big or go home or get conservative and maybe mess w/ the turbine side and go to an 87 wheel and drop the a/r size a touch....

well, if I could post a video off my phone it would tell a lot of the story.....

My 480 compressor side doesnt look too bad, spins freely and has very little play in the shaft....but dont know how good the seals are

The S366 on the other hand.... spins but not as freely as the s4 and has probably 2x the shaft play but hasnt contacted the housing on the compressor side. Going to pull both turbos off and check them over real good tomorrow.

Running down the possibility of a bad turbo seal backfeeding into the drain and causing my blowby problem......

well, if I could post a video off my phone it would tell a lot of the story.....

My 480 compressor side doesnt look too bad, spins freely and has very little play in the shaft....but dont know how good the seals are

The S366 on the other hand.... spins but not as freely as the s4 and has probably 2x the shaft play but hasnt contacted the housing on the compressor side. Going to pull both turbos off and check them over real good tomorrow.

Running down the possibility of a bad turbo seal backfeeding into the drain and causing my blowby problem......

What size oil feed and drain? Drains free flowing? Air filter clean and of adequate size? All this can cause oil seal problems

What size oil feed and drain? Drains free flowing? Air filter clean and of adequate size? All this can cause oil seal problems

Size I dodnt know, but they are the regular flex drain lines. As far as free flowing, havent taken the turbos off.

I think the big culprit in the bad seals could of been the 5 gallons of diesel I took out of the oil pan.....faulty injector stated all of this......

Jump up to a GT55, or the S500 chassis.
Don't ever look back.

I had to change the discharge from the primary a bit, the inlet filter, and the down pipe flange had to be changed...but well worth it I think.

Last edited:
I've got an s500sx 98mm with your name on it ;)

20151206_102626_zpsuochjxe4.jpg

I don't have near the setup as the OP and I'm tempted with that turbo, haha!

Jump up to a GT55, or the S500 chassis.
Don't ever look back.

I had to change the discharge from the primary a bit, the inlet filter, and the down pipe flange had to be changed...but well worth it I think.

Im contenplating that route... Depending on how bad the turbos are, its hard to tell at the moment. If a rebuild cost as much as an S5, I may as well just go that route

I've got an s500sx 98mm with your name on it ;)

20151206_102626_zpsuochjxe4.jpg

It actually looks like that is very simmilar to an S400 that I have in there. About my only concern is overall dimention....that shock tower is quite close to thes 4 as is.....

Heres a few pics of what Im dealing with.....The S480 and why I thought it was the worst

23056f10-7915-437f-89ab-f5bc4c65bcd4_zpsvff3dqte.jpg

This was the day after the injector went bad and what I thought was wrong in the first place, but its actually pretty tight and everything looks good on it, but the picture tells a different story!!!

The S3 didnt look nearly as bad, but has a good amount of play in it......

9da793ac-41fc-4f1d-9e5a-afe86b534dfb_zpscuv3gsfp.jpg

Right now because I just kinda tired of figuring out everything, Im probably going to pull the engine and have it freashened up, turbos freashened up and hopefully get it back on the road.

Im contenplating that route... Depending on how bad the turbos are, its hard to tell at the moment. If a rebuild cost as much as an S5, I may as well just go that route

It actually looks like that is very simmilar to an S400 that I have in there. About my only concern is overall dimention....that shock tower is quite close to thes 4 as is.....

Heres a few pics of what Im dealing with.....The S480 and why I thought it was the worst

23056f10-7915-437f-89ab-f5bc4c65bcd4_zpsvff3dqte.jpg

This was the day after the injector went bad and what I thought was wrong in the first place, but its actually pretty tight and everything looks good on it, but the picture tells a different story!!!

The S3 didnt look nearly as bad, but has a good amount of play in it......

9da793ac-41fc-4f1d-9e5a-afe86b534dfb_zpscuv3gsfp.jpg

Right now because I just kinda tired of figuring out everything, Im probably going to pull the engine and have it freashened up, turbos freashened up and hopefully get it back on the road.
Keep in mind if you change the 480 that was only a hose discharge orginally i had a v-band welded to it. just food for thought

Keep in mind if you change the 480 that was only a hose discharge orginally i had a v-band welded to it. just food for thought

I think Im just going to rebuild the 2....Went out to work on the truck and for some reason its leaking fuel out the back or side of the block.... somewhere.....So I need to put more into the block and head, unless it all checks out fine.

On the plus side when Im done it will be a COMPLETLY new drivetrain from fan to output shaft......

Back