Better front driveshaft?

ENafziger

I grenaded the front shaft on Friday doing some light wheelin. The cast u-joint piece that bolts to the transfer case shattered.

Does anyone have a part number for just this piece?

Better yet, has anyone had a custom shaft made that is more robust?

Thanks, Eric

Well, still on the hunt...but if you ever have a desire to replace individual pieces of the prop shaft or cv, quad4x4.com carries it all.

--Eric

See your local driveline shop.

If you shattered the h-yoke or flange yoke it is probably because you over extended the shafts angle it can run and binded it and well you seen what happens when you do that....

If you have lifted the truck there might not be any room left for movement, and you may need a different set up altogether.

If you shattered the h-yoke or flange yoke it is probably because you over extended the shafts angle it can run and binded it and well you seen what happens when you do that....

If you have lifted the truck there might not be any room left for movement, and you may need a different set up altogether.

I'll look into that, but the truck basically has a leveling kit on it...about 3" in front, and 1" in rear.

--Eric

i probably have a spare i can hook u up with complete shaft free

That'd be great!!! Let me know what you want for it, and I'll come get it from you...thanks!

--Eric

i wont know till the 7th of sept thats when i will be home but if the shaft need rebuilt but i will hook u up under one condition if u come to lynnville pull and dyno

but i will hook u up under one condition if u come to lynnville pull and dyno

I'd like to come, but it's not looking good. Both lower ball joints sheared off, and there's nothing holding the front wheels on except for the upper BJs. I'm waiting on Carli to warranty them, but they said it may be a couple weeks until the machine shop has some ready. :(

--Eric

I'd like to come, but it's not looking good. Both lower ball joints sheared off, and there's nothing holding the front wheels on except for the upper BJs. I'm waiting on Carli to warranty them, but they said it may be a couple weeks until the machine shop has some ready. :(

--Eric

well hell its next friday and saturday if u can make it

you could always just go to a bigger yoke set like 1410. your local driveline shop could hook up but you will have to know what you want and spell it out for them. Haisley's has a nice set up but it will cost you

I have the shaft extended in do away with the cv joint. I havnt had a problem with mine since drive line's plus in evansville ind. did mine. Look them up Jeff builds some awsomw drive shafts.

I hope you have free wheelin hubs....

The op sounds like he needs to use a limiter on his front suspension or fix the trans drop, or have a shaft made for the angles he seems to be seeing...
You don't split or break flange yokes or h yokes unless you put them in Bind and force them to break...

Going to a single jointed shaft on a 4x isn't recommended at all for a truck with out free wheel hubs...

that flange breaking is a common issue. Lifted doesn't help but, it's just a poor design anyway as is the waffle joint. I broke my flange but, only after 3yrs of balls out racing it. There was a lot of TQ being put to it during launches.

A complete custom shaft will run around $650 and that's with CV's at both ends from here... http://www.highangledriveline.com/ Jesse is well known for the quality of his work.

Both lower ball joints sheared off, and there's nothing holding the front wheels on except for the upper BJs. I'm waiting on Carli to warranty them, but they said it may be a couple weeks until the machine shop has some ready. :(

--Eric

You broke a set of Carli BJs? :aiwebs_016:

that flange breaking is a common issue. Lifted doesn't help but, it's just a poor design anyway as is the waffle joint. I broke my flange but, only after 3yrs of balls out racing it. There was a lot of TQ being put to it during launches.

A complete custom shaft will run around $650 and that's with CV's at both ends from here... http://www.highangledriveline.com/ Jesse is well known for the quality of his work.

You broke the flange from drag racing..... this is the truck in the picture, had nothing to do with the center joint being without grease or the joint without grease.....

The waffle (serrated) flange? you mean? that is bad ? who told or sold you on that bs...

No free spin hubs here, I've yet to have a problem with mine.

You are running a dodge truck ? with a lift, no hubs, no cv and NO vibrations...no changing joints probably every 600 miles, if that

You broke the flange from drag racing..... this is the truck in the picture, had nothing to do with the center joint being without grease or the joint without grease.....

The waffle (serrated) flange? you mean? that is bad ? who told or sold you on that bs...

The flange has nothing to do with grease. There's two sides of it that are very thin. In time and with a good about of power, it has no choice but to break.

Ask any drive shop about a waffle design and hear it for yourself. Are you claiming that design is stronger than a CV ? If so, why aren't all shafts that design ?

Back