Billet Cam, No Bushings Required?

97' CTD

FeFiFo-FoFeFeFi
THIS IS NOT A PISSING MATCH!

I wondered if someone makes a billet cam without having to put bushings in the block, and run just a minor flycut? I will be running a 2.6" class this year and really do not see the need for some monster cam needing bushings and huge flycuts IMO.
Brandon

Why the change? Bigger is better, right?

Chris

Not sure chris this is what im trying to get a general feel for I figured a minor flycut and billet due to my 13MM friend and new found RPM.........
Brandon

I know Don's drop in billet's should be/are available...you could go up the the helix 3??

Chris

The harder billet cam will eat the block, that is why the bushings are needed.

The harder billet cam will eat the block, that is why the bushings are needed.

This is what I hear :( I just dont want to go and put a huge cam in it huge flycuts and spend lot-o-money if I can go about it with a level head, over camming can hurt a motor correct? as said I will be running a 2.6" motor so do I really need as big of a cam as say a 2.8" or 3.0" truck ?
Brandon

the reason for the bushings is the speed the cam turns with your new found rpms and the hard material its made of and the block is really hard to so in other words two materials alot alike usually don't get along there are a few companys that have cams that don't require bushings but just go ahead and get the block bushinged i had my block bushinged this year and was still running the cast cam and it really makes no difference if you run a monster cam or a stock grind its the material its made of

yeah, I guess you could go below the base circle on the lobe? doesn't seem like you'd need much of a bushing at all as far as thickness is concerned. seems that you could still run a pretty healthy lobe and have room for bushings. I can see different ways to do it in my head, but the obvious way to do it is to just bush the block

yeah, I guess you could go below the base circle on the lobe? doesn't seem like you'd need much of a bushing at all as far as thickness is concerned. seems that you could still run a pretty healthy lobe and have room for bushings. I can see different ways to do it in my head, but the obvious way to do it is to just bush the block

Yeah seems to be the only way to go :(
Brandon

and like I said, it wouldn't have to be super thick, but you'd want it thick enough to not distort after having to be pressed completely over multiple journals :eek:

'course, you could start thick and then machine it down to the correct diameter

A billet cam is good insurance I think, but there are a lot of high HP 2.8/3.0 trucks out there that are still running cast cams. I dont think a billet cam is absolutely necessary for your build brandon. If you got the money then sure go ahead and do it. But if youre tight on money, i think a cast cam will be just fine.

I would go ahead and do it if you're going to have everything apart... a broken cam during competition will cost you more in the long run :eek:

Back