Billet CR block coming soon.. final thoughts/opinions

dnrcustoms

Ok.. Looks like im going to have a sit down meeting with LSM engineering this week on my project. Just looking for some final thoughts from some of you guys. Bore size will be 4.125" using early 03/04 bowl design. Diamond billet pistons/pins, coated the works. LSM will take care of the 4 bolt mains using their hardware. Possibly using there hardwear for the 14mm head studs or using a set from Haisley. Fire ringed block/head obviously. LSM said they will do a billet cam whatever profile i want. They also want to do a roller lifter.
Im just kind of torn on wether or not i should use a 6.7 crank or just stick to a 5.9 that i already have. Probably using R&R rods over my current Carrillo set.

Any thoughts from you guys is appreciated. Remeber this is being built for a drag truck.

I maybe wrong but I'm pretty sure Scheid has all the billet LSM blocks. Meaning you would have to go through them to get one. So why not use one that's already being built and just have the holes for the cover drilled different?

Last edited:
I maybe wrong but I'm pretty sure Scheid has all the billet LSM blocks. Meaning you would have to go through them to get one. So why not use one that's already being built and just have the holes for the cover drilled different?

I thought you could order direct with LSM? On that note, why wouldn't you use a 6.7 crank? I mean what would be negative about it?

From what i gather, LSM builds to order wether it be scheid or whoever. Being they are 35 mins from my shop it only makes sense to go direct on this project.
I will proably stuff a 6.7 crank in there being a little extra cubes will help light the triples. I dont feel my current 5.9 gives up much if anything to a comparible 6.7. My 5.9 did 80hp more than Ryan's truck same day same dyno with real similar setups. He has a sleeved 6.7. 1305 to 1385 on fuel.

If you can get them to build it, that would be great.
I spoke with LSM and they told me to talk to scheid. They couldn't even answer any of my questions. The guy I spoke to acted like he didn't know anything about the block.

The first time i called in the fall the guy was pretty rude. Called again and it was same guy but totally 100% different conversation. I told him early in the conv, listen man. Give me 10mins of your time and it might be worth it.. Then the guy was cool as heck and really left me with a positive attitude.

The first time i called in the fall the guy was pretty rude. Called again and it was same guy but totally 100% different conversation. I told him early in the conv, listen man. Give me 10mins of your time and it might be worth it.. Then the guy was cool as heck and really left me with a positive attitude.

What was the price direct from LSM?

X2 on the rude convo from LSM over a cryo treat question.. Derek you plan on hookin bluebalz to a sled or strictly drag?

I spoke with LSM and they told me to talk to scheid.

Same here. I would probably have one now if it wasn't for this and the $18,000+ quote for the block from Schied.

Not that I dislike Schied, and I really have no original figures to base my decision on except a post or two on here from a few years back quoting $15,000 and I'm thinking another poster that couldn't pay for the block said $12,000. Sorta talk'n out my ars a little.

dnrcustoms, I hope ya get it. I tried through the dead president door and they wouldn't even consider it. Tell ya what, get two and I'll take the other. lol PS as long as they are water blocks.

I would also go with the 6.7 crank.

Why only a 4.125" bore and a stock bowl design on a project with a budget such as you are describing?

I would think for drag racing big bore short stroke would be a better answer.

I would definitely lean toward bigger bore, even to the point of going with a steel block for strength due to the bore size.

A taller deck height if using 5.9 or 6.7 stroke would be a good idea also.

Im planning on a solid block, just running water through the head as of now. I really don't know a lot about different bowl designs to sound intelligent to discuss it. I know the early style works good, its what I have now and no issues. Im not trying to do off the wall stuff, just proven stuff that works with maybe a small twist!!

Im planning on a solid block,

Just FYI, water weighs less than aluminum. The engine in the Schied dragster is a water block so strength is not an issue. The extra milling and welding means more money but it is lighter.

I don't understand spending off the wall money yet not desiring off the wall parts.

Well it's not your money, and not your engine so you don't have to understand. This is America after all, where freedom (to do whatever you want with an engine build) rings.

Back