billet input shaft test.

"Im gonna catch **** regardless. Anytime you look for answers to subpar parts on here, your gonna catch ****. Unless of course it happened to the select few on here that is in the right "click" "

it is an abnormal following of ball huggers on here....
but most of them have brains......

follow the herd as it were....

I know of a company that has stress tested 3 makers of shafts as well....Now whether or not he was honest I dont know....

i missed the whole backpeddling part in the middle.... perhaps i r stupid once again:rockwoot::kick:

And then Rich proved the shaft couldnt hold up to even one spoolup and make a pass. Him and I both have made 100s of passes on other brand shafts. So we really have nothing else to prove.

Funny you mention the one spoolup thing, and for the record, I dont have Opie shafts in My rig... I bought mine from Joe Webb 5 years ago, but I digress... the text Rich sent me when he twisted the shaft in question had a pic of the twisted shaft and the caption said "2 passes on Opie shaft"

I'll see if I can figure out a way to pull a screenshot off of my phone if need be. My point is that on Aprill 11, I get a text that says 2 passes, Opie gets an email that says one pass, and here we have a thread claiming one spoolup/burnout/whatever...... there is far too much misinformation and lack of facts to assume a durn thing about Rich's shaft.

I know nothing about what you or your customer broke, so I wont make any assumptions about what happened there, as I have no info to base a comment on.... just as nobody in this thread knows how many passes/burnouts/spoolups/whatever that shaft took before it twisted.

Now, that being said, Rich may have misspoke to me or Opie or whoever, but you cannot deny that it would appear to the casual observer that there is something missing from this equation....

Funny you mention the one spoolup thing, and for the record, I dont have Opie shafts in My rig... I bought mine from Joe Webb 5 years ago, but I digress... the text Rich sent me when he twisted the shaft in question had a pic of the twisted shaft and the caption said "2 passes on Opie shaft"

I'll see if I can figure out a way to pull a screenshot off of my phone if need be. My point is that on Aprill 11, I get a text that says 2 passes, Opie gets an email that says one pass, and here we have a thread claiming one spoolup/burnout/whatever...... there is far too much misinformation and lack of facts to assume a durn thing about Rich's shaft.

I know nothing about what you or your customer broke, so I wont make any assumptions about what happened there, as I have no info to base a comment on.... just as nobody in this thread knows how many passes/burnouts/spoolups/whatever that shaft took before it twisted.

Now, that being said, Rich may have misspoke to me or Opie or whoever, but you cannot deny that it would appear to the casual observer that there is something missing from this equation....

I understand. I wasnt there either when Rich broke his. I think I still have the 5 passes I made on video. But even with that, there will be someone that will say, "that sounds like a 25psi launch", or "it sounded like it locked in first", or etc. You get my point. The only way it would hvae any credit on here is if everyone was there when I put the tranny in, when i raced it and when i pulled it out. We can argue back and forth and point and call names, but at the end of the day, these shafts were soft and I think the consumers deserve an answer. Personally I could care less as I dont use them. But as with anything on the market that isnt what it is supposed to be, I cant stand aside and let that be unknown when guys are spending everything they have on it hoping its a good product.

I understand. I wasnt there either when Rich broke his. I think I still have the 5 passes I made on video. But even with that, there will be someone that will say, "that sounds like a 25psi launch", or "it sounded like it locked in first", or etc. You get my point. The only way it would hvae any credit on here is if everyone was there when I put the tranny in, when i raced it and when i pulled it out. We can argue back and forth and point and call names, but at the end of the day, these shafts were soft and I think the consumers deserve an answer. Personally I could care less as I dont use them. But as with anything on the market that isnt what it is supposed to be, I cant stand aside and let that be unknown when guys are spending everything they have on it hoping its a good product.

I see what you are saying, and I'm by no means sayng that folks aren't entitled to an opinion, but If someone is going to make a claim, they should be able to back up said claim with facts. If in your opinion, the shaft you broke was soft, then that is cool... that is your opinion. I have watched prostreet trucks break more crap than you could shake a stick at.... $hit breaks, and there arent many of us smart enough to be able to definitively determine causes to said breakage if we are present and have the tools to do so, much less determine the cause via info on the interweb...... you can look at any CR meltdown thread and see that internet diagnosis is not quite as simple of a matter as some woulds think.

I see what you are saying, and I'm by no means sayng that folks aren't entitled to an opinion, but If someone is going to make a claim, they should be able to back up said claim with facts. If in your opinion, the shaft you broke was soft, then that is cool... that is your opinion. I have watched prostreet trucks break more crap than you could shake a stick at.... $hit breaks, and there arent many of us smart enough to be able to definitively determine causes to said breakage if we are present and have the tools to do so, much less determine the cause via info on the interweb...... you can look at any CR meltdown thread and see that internet diagnosis is not quite as simple of a matter as some woulds think.

Yea, but the answer you usually get is "the shaft was overpowered" Darn right the shaft was over powered. It was overpowered because it was a bad shaft. Now a good shaft would have held up.

It seems in the diesel community that the consumers are treated as "idiots" you wouldn't understand if I told you anyway type attitude. Well you know what that doesn't mean you can hide the quality problems behind a bunch of fancy tech speak! Try to explain it, if I don't understand that is my problem, if you can't explain it that is your problem.

What is interesting is I have seen an OPIE shaft twist on a common rail that was well under 600HP on the dyno. So maybe there was something wrong with the shaft, as nobody is perfect.

I know it could be the shaft, it is definitely possible.. What I'm getting at, is that is the only answer for him. There can not possibly be another explanation that something else in the tranny (one that wasn't working properly at that) could have caused this issue. How can you find the problem if you will only accept one possible outcome?

If you need an billet output that has a slight twist, I will gladly sell it to you.:rockwoot:

IMG_0081.jpg

That output still looks useable.

Unfortunately.... or fortunately..... I have a 2wd Junker Drag truck so 4x4 output wouldn't help me out.

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure somebody would like a cheap 4x4 output!

To me, a little twist just means the steel was stressed passed it's elastic limit, doesn't mean it still isn't good on a less than 100% effort race vehicle.

That output still looks useable.

Unfortunately.... or fortunately..... I have a 2wd Junker Drag truck so 4x4 output wouldn't help me out.

Thanks for the offer, I'm sure somebody would like a cheap 4x4 output!

To me, a little twist just means the steel was stressed passed it's elastic limit, doesn't mean it still isn't good on a less than 100% effort race vehicle.

It is still a good shaft. It is a Suncoast and Ron said he wouldn't be scared to run it in anything. I just moved up to the larger output shaft just to ensure we had no other problems.

Too bad no-one has mentioned doing any real failure analysis on this part, (that I saw) other than staring at pictures and talking ****. It's like staring at britney spears beat up ***** and trying to figure out what happened to it.

If you (indirect) Really thought there was a problem with the part, then you (indirect) would have taken the steps to find out what that problem was. Rockwell and tensile strength tests would shut up alot of this.

What is the desired rockwell and tensile strength?

I'm sure no one would tell you that but you could test one of the other untwisted shafts and test the twisted one against those results. Could the twisted shaft be tested since it has already failed?
On a different note, with any billet shaft I have ever bought I was told up front that there was no warranty.

I'm sure no one would tell you that but you could test one of the other untwisted shafts and test the twisted one against those results. Could the twisted shaft be tested since it has already failed?
On a different note, with any billet shaft I have ever bought I was told up front that there was no warranty.

sounds like you've been getting the shaft....

In the Gasser world there is NO WARRANTY on billet parts...we are lucky to have any broken shafts replaced.

Lavon

Back