Bought my girl a 7.3L... kinda fast, black smoke, stock?!

Bersaglieri

Ron Swanson's Brother
So I bought my girl this 2003 F350 CC/SB 7.3L Powerstroke. It's in pretty nice shape, needs some shocks and maybe some steering work, although it rides smooth, interior is perfect, and the body is great [the truck too]. But what impressed me is that if you free rev it, it'll blow out alot of smoke, plus this thing gets up and moves.

Now I find myself wondering what it has done to it. It's got banks stickers on it, but I thought they were a "clean" power company. It's got a banks 4" exhaust, stock intake, and everything else looks stock too. I was looking around the engine bay looking for a inline harness unit, but I couldnt find one. So what kinda modifications can be made to these 7.3's that I should be looking for? BTW She keeps getting a engine code "high boost" :st:

Thanks fellas....PS I'll have you know she's already talkin **** about the Cummins...if anything happens I'll post a video.:evil

I'm planning on getting boost and EGT gauges soon, any tips on install or where to buy these?

Lastly, what gears do these have stock? They are Dana 60/70's?

-Dustin-

So I bought my girl this 2003 F350 CC/SB 7.3L Powerstroke. It's in pretty nice shape, needs some shocks and maybe some steering work, although it rides smooth, interior is perfect, and the body is great [the truck too]. But what impressed me is that if you free rev it, it'll blow out alot of smoke, plus this thing gets up and moves.

Now I find myself wondering what it has done to it. It's got banks stickers on it, but I thought they were a "clean" power company. It's got a banks 4" exhaust, stock intake, and everything else looks stock too. I was looking around the engine bay looking for a inline harness unit, but I couldnt find one. So what kinda modifications can be made to these 7.3's that I should be looking for? BTW She keeps getting a engine code "high boost" :st:

Thanks fellas....PS I'll have you know she's already talkin **** about the Cummins...if anything happens I'll post a video.:evil

I'm planning on getting boost and EGT gauges soon, any tips on install or where to buy these?

Lastly, what gears do these have stock? They are Dana 60/70's?

-Dustin-

More than likely has a chip on the back of the PCM or a programmer installed. 3.73 gears with front being a Dana 60 with a Sterling 10.5 in the rear.

Prolly has a chip in the PCM(rectangular black box 5"x8"x1-1/2" on drivers side behind e-brake pedal), or possibly the PCM has been flashed with a programmer.

Ahh...the Fords have chips instead. We werent given a tuner with the truck, but you can tell something has been done. I'll check and see if there is a chip int there...I'm wondering if it was some kind of Banks Power Pack or something.

-Dustin-

there isnt like a switchable chip mounted on the dash. it would look like a little knob you would turn.

there isnt like a switchable chip mounted on the dash. it would look like a little knob you would turn.

I was looking for this yesterday, but I didnt see one. I'm swapping out the inner tie rod at the pitman arm today, then I'll try to check for the Chip.

-Dustin-

The 03's will smoke some stock. they are by far the best 7.3 in stock form. my opinion

my '03 Puffs black while in stock form.... I'm bettin theres a chip in the PCM (You may not be able to see it if they didn't cut the back of the PCM's black cover)

The 03's will smoke some stock. they are by far the best 7.3 in stock form. my opinion

How is this true?
They are the same exact motor as the late 99's and up.
The early 99's have some differences, but the rest of the 7.3's are the same.

How is this true?
They are the same exact motor as the late 99's and up.
The early 99's have some differences, but the rest of the 7.3's are the same.

Ya all the difference between the early and late is the intake and turbo set up along with up pipes, and intake plenums. All early 99 to 03 7.3L run a split-shot injector.

One other difference is the injectors.
The early99 has 120cc(AB code) injectors and the late99-03 has 140cc(AD code) injectors.
Either way, there is really no smoke from these stock.

The 02's and 03's have better programming (rated slightly higher hp) from the factory, you can go to Ford and get your 99-01 reflashed with the newest catch-code and pick up 10-20hp. But the 03' are just left over 02's that have been re-titled as far as I know. Notice how the 02's and 03's have very slight changes to the interior/exterior as well? Guages, steering wheel, headlights, etc. Better insulated cab also.

When I'm talking smoke during a idle to 3000rpm rev, I'm talking 12v kinda smoke. About the same smoke my LB7 Duramax with stacked Edge Hot Juice/Predator made.

-Dustin-

Check for a module underhood, check connections at the MAP, ICP, and other that I cant remember anymore. But I bet there is a chip plugged into the PCM.

I hope you're kidding, '97 by far and away is the best Powerstroke. Regardless of being stock or not.

HAHAHHAHA LOL LOL LOL

You have no idea!!

Why is the '97 the best?? :hehe::hehe:

Because the 97 has no intercooler, crappy HPOP, lousy programming, TTB in F250's, uber sh!tty trans, pos turbo?

Please educate me. PS, 02-03 are the best.

02-03 have PMR's, bad if you plan on over 400hp, which 95% of owners never will. For a stock truck or just chipped, 02-03 is the best. If you are going to build it, then 99-01 is better with cast rods. Either way, the first gen PSD sucks balls in comparison.

If the air filter is bad it will smoke , if the turbo is bad or a bad wheel it will smoke. look at areoforce for there guage , best money spent. also clears dtc (codes) along with fun stuff. you could have a bad injector. look on the back of the pcm and see if it has something pluged into it. If its not a dp tuner chip ITS JUNK. Yeeeh..

Back