Build - 9 second drag truck #racegreen

I caught the green booger flu yesterday, but I did manage to get a couple more tubes fitted today. Finally starting to look like a truck.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6339.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I caught the green booger flu yesterday, but I did manage to get a couple more tubes fitted today. Finally starting to look like a truck.

attachment.php

Hey bud, idk if you noticed it but some douchebag cut the back wall out of your cab!! LOL

Lol, cage is looking good man, my 60 f100 is in the planning stage for this type of cage/suspension setup right now......or has been for the last year! I need to quit being lazy after working on everyone else's junk and work on my own junk!

Last edited:
Oh crap! I hadn't noticed!

Get to work man, some times you just gotta dive in and see what happens. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rods for my new mountain motor came in today!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6352.jpg
    IMG_6352.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 0
Long notch

A lot of people have asked if Bend Tech is worth the money, or if it will make them a better fabricator. My answer is yes, and no. Learning the craft without the crutch of a computer is key. But once you have the fundamentals... It's a definite time saver. This fitup (the long one) is not complex, but using Bend Tech to print out a template saved me quite a bit of time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6423.jpg
    IMG_6423.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6419.jpg
    IMG_6419.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6414.jpg
    IMG_6414.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 0
To this point in the build this was the most difficult joint to fit. (the little off axis tube)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6470.jpg
    IMG_6470.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
I normally eyeball, sharpie, grind, for weird joints, or use my Pro Tools tubing notcher for simple single angle notches, but this one was too funky so I used a pipe master to rough it in. Once I got the basic shape laid out with the pipemaster it was just a matter of a dozen or so trial fits and touch up grinding with a soft pack and 4.5" grinder.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6433.jpg
    IMG_6433.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6430.jpg
    IMG_6430.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6427.jpg
    IMG_6427.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6436.jpg
    IMG_6436.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 0
Should make a little more sense why I cut the back of the cab out now :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6446.jpg
    IMG_6446.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Now I understand what you're doing and why you're doing it. Amazing work....way over my paygrade.

Damn impressive work for a pro shop, much less a hobbyist like yourself!! Excellent build. Thanks for sharing!!

Thank you! :)

Started working on the roof and windshield bracing today. Lots of tubes that aren't required by the SFI spec, but 1x.049 is so light I don't feel too bad about it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6523.jpg
    IMG_6523.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
R u going to disassemble some those joints so u can fully weld the pipe vs half welding since it's already tacked up together not welded?

Absolutely

Not looking forward to it though.

Last edited:
It's not too bad but I've seen a lot of builders not to it and cost them in the end.

Really!? Thats crazy. The whole point to building the cage in the first place is for safety.

Another thing that really blew me away is that in certain cases SFI does not require the top of roof bars to be welded all the way around. I understand why, but on a 7 second car, there are better places to compromise in my opinion.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I've seen several "top builders" not join there pipes in the corners but rather come up short creating that weak link also.

Yea that rule is dumb as where ur weld ends is first place it will crack if not joined together. Our maverick crashed last weekend at the Mint 400 at 70 doing 3 barrel roles. Violent crash! But the way we built car and FULLY welded it saved it.

I've seen several "top builders" not join there pipes in the corners but rather come up short creating that weak link also.

Yea that rule is dumb as where ur weld ends is first place it will crack if not joined together. Our maverick crashed last weekend at the Mint 400 at 70 doing 3 barrel roles. Violent crash! But the way we built car and FULLY welded it saved it.

Everyone okay!?

I cut the floor out today. I expect to save at least 30 lbs with its replacement. The rest of the floor and firewall will come out once I have the rest of the cab secured to the chassis.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6527.jpg
    IMG_6527.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Cut out the transmission crossmember mounts today and started measuring up for the SFI required X brace that goes between the frame rails. The two orange strings represent drive shaft position at ride height and 6" of axle droop from ride height. (1" more than I'll likely ever run) I'm setting up the chassis to run a maximum 6" diameter drive shaft, and this test reveals the need for a change to the crossmember that joins the bottom of the 4 link brackets.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6547.jpg
    IMG_6547.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6552.jpg
    IMG_6552.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
Mr Green, where did you buy your drop crossmember? I finally bought my bracketry and rod ends and am going to get started building mine pretty soon.

Back