Building my first transmission, need some help.

I found this as well. but i am currently using a 5:1 lever from the suncoast kit i got last year.. I hear this is a big issue with 2/3 bind.
About to try a 4.2:1 lever and if that doesnt work, then i will try a different servo.

I found this as well. but i am currently using a 5:1 lever from the suncoast kit i got last year.. I hear this is a big issue with 2/3 bind.
About to try a 4.2:1 lever and if that doesnt work, then i will try a different servo.

let us know!

I had 2-3 bindup issues using the sonnex servo

Interesting, was that the one with 16% more apply area? I am having a local trans shop rebuild my trans, I was going to put in the upgraded 2nd gear servo from suncoast(same thing as sonnax I think), but apparently goerend said that would cause bindup and possibly case breakage. So I guess stock servo it is then...

Sent from my iPhone 4s

I havent broke a case yet, but I've broke two flex bands in my dads 48re with the sonnax servo. A stock one Is going back in his when I get around to it.

Although.... I wouldn't worry if your line pressure is under 185psi, my dads front bands died because of the wrong line pressure tune.

one more thing , in the overdrive unit . you have a one-way roller bearing .. make sure its installed correctly or you will not have 3rd gear, if I remember right.

I forgot to throw in, with stock servo, and the 5:1 lever i had no problems.. but the better servo and that lever is no bueno..

Thanks for the input guys, I am going to pick up a core 2wd trans tomorrow. Where should I look for cracks in the case? Around the bolts at the OD housing?

Last edited:
What is everyones opinion on running a billet intermediate with a build like this?

Yes, I have the input and output already.

Okay, I was going to recommend going ahead and getting all tcs shafts and billet parts. Seems like they have been doing well. But I would do the intermediate if it was me. Monster mike or tcs shaft would be my vote.

Okay, I was going to recommend going ahead and getting all tcs shafts and billet parts. Seems like they have been doing well. But I would do the intermediate if it was me. Monster mike or tcs shaft would be my vote.

Unless you're going with oversized shafts I disagree. The billet int. shafts tend to be too brittle to handle either heavy towing or high hp with a big triple disk converter. Leave it stock, plenty of people do big power on stock int. shafts.

I picked up the trans today, no TV motor so its from a 03-04 but how can I tell if its a 48RE. Just to be certain.

If it has a sealing ring on the stator support shaft it should be a 48re.

Attachments

• pics 879.jpg
    pics 879.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 0
If you need help along the way just let me know, sounds like your on the right track. The sonnax input worries me at 900hp but it should hold for a while, the TCS Aermet shaft is the way to go if you're not going fat shaft.

I looked at the Aermet and talked to TCS they were just kinda out of what I wanted to pay... especially because I would have to take a loss on this one and then buy another more expensive shaft. Even though "budget" and "built trans" shouldn't be in the same sentence. LOL

I appreciate it Lavon, can you pm me a price for an Aermet? Maybe I heard the wrong price from TCS. :rules:

This is what I have... I guess it's a 47re then? What would it take to make it a 48re?

uve8udeb.jpg

Back